My research concerns the development of intelligent machines, with the particular aim of “teaching” computers to (1) understand the behaviour and intent of human users, and (2) to correctly interpret (or “See”) objects and scenes depicted in colour/depth images or videos. I work and publish in the fields of Computer Vision, Machine Learning, Discrete Optimization, Game Theory and Human-Computer Interaction. I am currently working on (1) the use of online social networks such as Facebook for conducting behavioural game theory experiments, and (2) the development of robust systems for human pose estimation and gesture recognition, and scene understanding using new depth sensors such as XBox KINECT.
Some Recent Projects
Academic and Industrial Duties (All Academic Duties)
- Coordinator for MSR Cambridge's Internships program and Bright Minds Competetion.
- Coordinator for the Machine Learning and Perception Seminar Series , MSR Cambridge (2009 - 2014)
- Editorial board member, International Journal for Computer Vision (IJCV) (2013- Present)
- Editorial board member, Journal for Computer Vision and Image Understanding (CVIU) (2013-2015)
- Area Chair, CVPR 2013, BMVC 2012, ICVGIP 2012
- Reviewer for European Research Council, TPAMI, IJCV, JMLR, SIGGRAPH, NIPS, AISTATS, ICCV, ECCV, CVPR, BMVC, CVIU
Recent News (All Updates)
- January 2015, Paper on Crowdsourcing Language Understanding in the Wild is accepted to appear in WWW 2015
- January 2015, Paper on Consensus Message Passing is accepted to appear in AISTATS 2015
- December 2014, Joined the Advisory board for the NEMOG (New Economic Models for Digital Games) project.
- November 2014, Paper on Learning with Multiple Annotation-specific Loss Functions is accepted to appear in EMMCVPR 2015.
- October 2014, Paper and Video describing our work on automatic layout of virtual objects for augmented reality released at ISMAR 2014.
- October 2014, Paper on Just-in-Time Inference is accepted to appear in NIPS 2014.
- September 2014, Paper on Real-time Face Reconstruction from a Single Depth Image is accepted to appear in 3DV 2014.
- August 2014, Our paper on Exploration of Group Viewing Patterns Paper is the Runner-up for the Best Paper Award at TVX 2014.
- July 2014, 3 papers (contour completion, learning with perceptual loss functions, Non-parametric Higher-order MRFs) are accepted to appear in ECCV 2014.
- June 2014, Our demo on FilterForest for Image Denoising is the Runner-up for the Best Demo Award at CVPR 2014.
- May 2014, Paper on automatic layout of virtual objects for augmented reality is accepted to appear at ISMAR 2014.
- April 2014, Paper on community priors for crowdsourcing is the Runner-up for the Best Paper Award at WWW 2014.
- March 2014, Paper on Depth from IR illumination fall-off is accepted to appear in SIGGRAPH 2014.
- February 2014, Our edited volume Tractability: Practical Approaches to Hard Problems is released by Cambridge University Press.
- February 2014, 3 Papers (Learning Portfolios for camera relocatlization, Personalized gesture recognition, Filter Forests for Image Labelling) are accepted to appear in CVPR (2 for oral presentation).
- January 2014, Paper on encoraging diversity in multiple-output prediction is accepted for oral presentation at AISTATS 2014.
- January 2014, Paper on community priors for crowdsourcing is accepted to appear in WWW 2014.
- December 2013, Our paper on the effect of principles on power of agents in strategic games is accepted to appear in AAMAS 2014.
- December 2013, Paper on User Behaviour Adaptation Under Interface Change accepted to appear in IUI 2014.
- November 2013, Our Infer.Net based model for crowdsourcing Won the CrowdScale challenge at HCOMP 2013.
- October 2013, Gave talk at the Human Behaviour Understanding workshop at ACM multimedia.
- September 2013, Paper on Decision DAGs accepted to appear in NIPS 2013.
- September 2013, Invited to join the editorial board of CVIU.
- August 2013, Paper on Sementic labelling of Voxel Spaces accepted to appear in ICCV 2013.
- July 2013, Paper on text detection and recognition accept to appear at ICDAR 2013.
- June 2013, Tutorial on Solving real world problems with RGBD sensors at CVPR 2013.
- June 2013, Gave a talk at the London School of Economics (LSE) on the value of Big Data.
- April 2013, Papers on online algorithms for diverse recommendations and computation of coalition structures in coalition games are accepted to appear in AAAI 2013.
- March 2013, Four papers (two for oral presentation) accepted to appear in CVPR 2013.
- February 2013, Invited to join the editorial board of IJCV.
- January 2013, Paper on faster training of structural SVMs is accepted to appear in AISTATS 2012 ( video ).
- October 2012, PAMI paper describing the pose estimation system for KINECT has been accepted.
- September 2012, Two papers (1) structured output prediction with multiple choices (2) context driven random forests are accepted to appear in NIPS 2012.
- August 2012, The accepted ECCV and DAGM papers are now available online.
- July 2012, Jamie Shotton and I have written a new book chapter on our recent work on Human Pose Estimation for the KINECT.
- June 2012, Five papers (two for oral presentation) accepted to appear in the European Conference on Computer Vision (ECCV).
- May 2012, The MSR KINECT gesture dataset collected for our CHI 2012 paper is now available.
- April 2012, 3 Papers on Behavioural Game Theory and Personality-Online Behaviour patterns are accepted to appear in ACM WebSci 2012 .
- March 2012, Papers accepted to CHI 2012, AISTATS 2012, Eurographics 2012 and PAMI/IJCV are now available online.
- January 2012, Carsten Rother and I are teaching the Advanced Computer Vision course in the Engineering department of the University of Cambridge.
- October 2011, Our paper on simulataneous localization and 3D mapping wins the Best Paper Award at ISMAR 2011.
- October 2011, Interviews on the role of Behavioural game theory appear in Forbes and The Economic Times.
- September 2011, Our first Facebook app (MSR Project Waterloo) for conducting behavioural game theory experiments is now online!
- September 2011, The KinectFusion system has been made public. (Project Page) (video) (See UIST and ISMAR papers for detail)
- June 2011, Our book on Advances in Markov Random Fields for Vision and Image Processing has been published by MIT press.
- June 2011, 4 papers on adpative algorithms for MAP inference appear in AISTATS 2011, ICML 2011 and CVPR 2011.
- December 2011, Our paper on evaluation and learning of interactive Segmentation systems wins the Best Paper Award at ICVGIP 2010.
- October 2010, Our paper on inference with co-occurence potential wins the Best Paper Award at ECCV 2010.
Books and Edited Volumes