Traditional pan and zoom techniques pose a challenge
when navigating large information spaces on smartphones
and other small-form-factor mobile devices. Our most
recent project is ZoneZoom.
- Divide view into nine segments
- Map each segment to one of the number
keys on a cel phone
- Press number key: animate view to show
- Quickly release key (tapping): view stays
on selected segment
- Releases key after holding down for more than a
moment: view returns to the original view ("glance"
at different areas)
- Redivide current by pressing on the pound
We have optimized a specific implementation of the
ZoneZoom technique for user as a Seattle area traffic
conditions map navigator called
SmartPhlow. A comprehensive explanation of the
ZoneZoom technique is included in our
paper. SmartPhlow downloads a very small amount of
data (250 bytes) from the WSDOT web site. This data is
then used to change the color of road segments on a
navigable map. We encourage you to download SmartPhlow
and install it on your own Microsoft Smartphone!