Microsoft Portrait is very low bit rate video conferencing software supporting MSN Messenger and Internet Locator Service (ILS) on PCs, Pocket PCs and Handheld PCs. It runs on local area networks, dialup networks and even wireless networks with bandwidths as low as 9.6 kilobits/second. Microsoft Portrait delivers portrait-like black/white video which can work in bandwidths so low that full color video could never work. The portrait video is so small that it can even be transmitted through an HTTP proxy as text. Microsoft Portrait provides basic chat/voice/video functions almost anytime, anywhere, on any device.
Version 3.1 Beta for Pocket PC has been released. It is for devices running Microsoft Windows Mobile 5.0 with ARM series CPUs. The new release fixed some bugs in 3.0 beta, improved its performance and reduced the CPU usage in Pocket PC.
Microsoft Portrait technology is available for commercial licensing. For more information, visit Microsoft IP Licensing.
PC Version 2.3
Pocket PC Version 3.1 Beta (for Windows Mobile 5.0)
Microsoft Portrait is a research prototype for mobile video communication. It supports .NET Messenger Service, Session Initiation Protocol and Internet Locator Service on PCs, Pocket PCs, Handheld PCs and Smartphone. It runs on local area networks, dialup networks and even wireless networks with bandwidths as low as 9.6 kilobits/second. Microsoft Portrait delivers portrait-like video if users are in low bandwidths and displays full-color video if users are in broadband. In low bandwidths, portrait video possesses clearer shape, smoother motion, shorter latency and much cheaper computational cost than do conventional video technologies. Microsoft Portrait pursues providing presence notification, chat/voice/video functions anytime, anywhere, on any device.
* You can place a call either from the buddy list of Microsoft Portrait or from the Action menu of MSN Messenger after you install Microsoft Portrait.
* You can also browse in an ILS server and select a people to call. * Even if your buddy has not installed Microsoft Portrait, you can still invite him/her from the buddy list of Microsoft Portrait so that he/she can receive a message in an MSN Messenger window, which shows him/her you are inviting him/her and where to download Microsoft Portrait. After your buddy installs Microsoft Portrait, he/she can accept your call.
* If you do not have a camera, you can still see others who do send video, or talk with others in robust voice working at bandwidth as low as 2.4 Kbps.
* You can use any of your PCs, Pocket PCs, Handheld PCs or Smartphones to call.
* You can place a call even behind a firewall.
* If you are a modem dialup user, now you can also conveniently see and talk with others.
* Please adjust the slide of the "Video" button to achieve better visual quality if you select to use black/white video.
* If you have a PC with a camera and a Pocket PC, you can use them to constitute a surveillance system. You can call your PC in your home or office using your Pocket PC anytime on the road.
Please send your feedback or bug reports to
Media Communication Group, Microsoft Research Asia.