We investigated the use of hyperlinks for ranking web search results. Specifically, we evaluated the effectiveness ("retrieval performance") of known algorithms such as PageRank, HITS, and SALSA, and explored new algorithms such as spam-resistant PageRank and SALSA-SETR, a variant of SALSA.
- Marc Najork, Querying the Web Graph (Invited Talk), in 17th International Symposium on String Processing and Information Retrieval (SPIRE), Springer Verlag, October 2010.
- Marc Najork, Sreenivas Gollapudi, and Rina Panigrahy, Less is More: Sampling the Neighborhood Graph Makes SALSA Better and Faster, in 2nd ACM International Conference on Web Search and Data Mining (WSDM), Association for Computing Machinery, Inc., February 2009.
- Marc Najork and Nick Craswell, Efficient and Effective Link Analysis with Precomputed SALSA Maps, in 17th ACM Conference on Information and Knowledge Management (CIKM), Association for Computing Machinery, Inc., October 2008.
- Sreenivas Gollapudi, Marc Najork, and Rina Panigrahy, Using Bloom Filters to Speed Up HITS-like Ranking Algorithms, in 5th Workshop on Algorithms and Models for the Web Graph (WAW), Springer-Verlag, December 2007.
- Marc Najork, Comparing the Effectiveness of HITS and SALSA, in 16th ACM Conference on Information and Knowledge Management (CIKM), Association for Computing Machinery, Inc., November 2007.
- Marc Najork, Hugo Zaragoza, and Michael Taylor, HITS on the Web: How does it Compare?, in 30th Annual International ACM SIGIR Conference on Research and Development in Information Retrieval (SIGIR), Association for Computing Machinery, Inc., Amsterdam, Netherlands, July 2007.
- Marc A. Najork. Systems and methods for ranking documents based upon structurally interrelated information. US patent 7,739,281, issued 6/15/2010.
- Marc A. Najork. Query dependent link-based ranking. US patent 7,792,854, issued 9/7/2010.
- Marc A. Najork. Query dependant link-based ranking using authority scores. US patent 7,818,334, issued 10/19/2010.