Knowledge of a software development project is embedded both in the repositories (source code, bug database, etc.) and in the engineers' heads. Understanding how this knowledge moves between engineers is crucially important to understanding how software gets built.
- Andrew Begel and Libby Hemphill, Not Seen and Not Heard, no. MSR-TR-2011-136, 25 April 2011.
- Andrew Begel and Nachiappan Nagappan, Coordination in Large-Scale Software Development: Helpful and Unhelpful Behaviors, no. MSR-TR-2009-135, 28 September 2009.
- Andrew Sutherland and Gina Venolia, Can Peer Code Reviews be Exploited for Later Information Needs?, in Proc. ICSE 2009, IEEE, May 2009.
- Andrew Begel and Nachiappan Nagappan, Pair programming: what's in it for me?, in ESEM '08: Proceedings of the Second ACM-IEEE International Symposium on Empirical Software Engineering and Measurement, ACM, New York, NY, USA, October 2008.
- Gina Venolia, Can We Make "Distance Matter" Less?, October 2008.
- Andrew Begel and Beth Simon, Novice Software Developers, All Over Again, in ICER '08: Proceedings of the Fourth International Workshop on Computing Education Research, ACM, New York, NY, USA, September 2008.
- Reid Holmes and Andrew Begel, Deep Intellisense: A Tool for Rehydrating Evaporated Information, in Proceedings of the 2008 International Working Conference on Mining Software Repositories, ACM, New York, NY, USA, May 2008.
- Andrew Begel and Beth Simon, Struggles of new college graduates in their first software development job, in Proceedings of the 39th Technical Symposium on Computer Science Education, ACM, New York, NY, USA, March 2008.
- Mauro Cherubini, Gina Venolia, and Rob DeLine, Building an Ecologically-valid, Large-scale Diagram to Help Developers Stay Oriented in Their Code, in VLHCC '07: Proceedings of the IEEE Symposium on Visual Languages and Human-Centric Computing, IEEE Computer Society, Washington, DC, USA, September 2007.
- Andrew J. Ko, Robert DeLine, and Gina Venolia, Information Needs in Collocated Software Development Teams, in ICSE '07: Proceedings of the 29th international conference on Software Engineering, IEEE Computer Society, Washington, DC, USA, May 2007.
- Mauro Cherubini, Gina Venolia, Rob DeLine, and Andrew J. Ko, Let's go to the whiteboard: how and why software developers use drawings, in CHI '07: Proceedings of the SIGCHI conference on Human factors in computing systems, Association for Computing Machinery, Inc., New York, NY, USA, May 2007.
- Andrew Begel, Help, I Need Somebody!, in Proceedings of the CSCW Workshop: Supporting the Social Side of Large-Scale Software Development, Association for Computing Machinery, Inc., November 2006.
- Thomas D. LaToza, Gina Venolia, and Robert DeLine, Maintaining mental models: a study of developer work habits, in ICSE '06: Proceedings of the 28th international conference on Software engineering, ACM, New York, NY, USA, May 2006.
- Gina D. Venolia, Robert DeLine, and Thomas LaToza, Software Development at Microsoft Observed, no. MSR-TR-2005-140, October 2005.