IllumiRoom is a proof-of-concept system from Microsoft Research. It augments the area surrounding a television screen with projected visualizations to enhance the traditional living room entertainment experience.
- Read the CHI 2013 Best-Paper:
IllumiRoom: Peripheral Projected Illusions for Interactive Experiences (7.6 MB .pdf)
IllumiRoom uses a Kinect for Windows camera and a projector to blur the lines between on-screen content and the environment we live in allowing us to combine our virtual and physical worlds. For example, our system can change the appearance of the room, induce apparent motion, extend the field of view, and enable entirely new game experiences.
Our system uses the appearance and the geometry of the room (captured by Kinect) to adapt the projected visuals in real-time without any need to custom pre-process the graphics. What you see in the videos below has been captured live and is not the result of any special effects added in post production.
- Tomislav Pejsa, Julian Kantor, Hrvoje Benko, Eyal Ofek, and Andrew Wilson, Room2Room: Enabling Life-Size Telepresence in a Projected Augmented Reality Environment, ACM – Association for Computing Machinery, 1 March 2016.
- Jarrod Knibbe, Hrvoje Benko, and Andrew D. Wilson, Juggling the Effects of Latency: Motion Prediction Approaches to Reducing Latency in Dynamic Projector-Camera Systems, no. MSR-TR-2015-35, 11 May 2015.
- Hrvoje Benko, Andrew D. Wilson, and Federico Zannier, Dyadic Projected Spatial Augmented Reality, ACM UIST 2014, 8 October 2014.
- Brett Jones, Rajinder Sodhi, Michael Murdock, Ravish Mehra, Hrvoje Benko, Andrew D. Wilson, Eyal Ofek, Blair MacIntyre, Nikunj Raghuvanshi, and Lior Shapira, RoomAlive: Magical Experiences Enabled by Scalable, Adaptive Projector-Camera Units, ACM UIST 2014, October 2014.
- Brett Jones, Hrvoje Benko, Eyal Ofek, and Andy Wilson, IllumiRoom: Peripheral Projected Illusions for Interactive Experiences, in SIgCHI 2013, ACM Sig CHI 2013, 27 April 2013.
- Andrew Wilson, Hrvoje Benko, Shahram Izadi, and Otmar Hilliges, Steerable augmented reality with the beamatron, in Proceedings of the 25th annual ACM symposium on User interface software and technology, ACM UIST 2012, October 2012.