Recognizing the twin trends of a rapid growth of cellular data services and the commoditization of WiFi WLAN technology, Cool-Tether proposes an architecture for ubiquitous and affordable connectivity by harnessing mobile smartphones to create WiFi hotspots on the fly. Cool-Tether optimizes heavily for battery energy consumption on the smartphones, resulting in a 38%-72% savings in energy consumption compared to prior energy-agnostic solutions for tethering.
- Ashish Sharma, Vishnu Navda, Ramachandran Ramjee, Venkat Padmanabhan, and Elizabeth Belding, Cool-Tether: Energy Efficient On-the-fly WiFi Hot-spots using Mobile Phones, in International Conference on emerging Networking EXperiments and Technologies (CoNEXT), Association for Computing Machinery, Inc., December 2009.
- NewScientist: Cellphones team up to make Wi-Fi where you want it
- Slashdot Mobile Story: Cool-Tether Links Phones' Bandwidth To Make High-Speed Hotspots
- PCPro.co.uk: Cool-Tether turns phones into high-speed hotspots
- Popular Science: Microsoft 'Cool-Tether' Combines Multiple Smartphones into High-Speed Hotspot