International trade in species listed on Appendix II of CITES is allowed providing exporting countries declare that the export will not be detrimental to the survival of the species. However, there is a general perception that the scientific basis used for making such “Non-Detriment Declarations” could be improved. One key computational challenge is in bringing together the knowledge and tools to allow the basis for making Non-Detriment statements to be assessed, and for sustainable harvest leve
- Maurizio Sajeva, Claudio Augugliaro, Matthew Smith, and Elisabetta Oddo, Regulating Internet Trade in CITES Species, in Conservation Biology, Wiley, 8 February 2013.
- Noel McGough, David Kikodze, Richard Wilford, Lucy Garrett, Grigol Deisadze, Natalie Jaworska, and Matthew J. Smith, Assessing non-detrimental trade for a CITES Appendix II-listed plant species: the status of wild and cultivated Galanthus woronowii in Georgia, in Oryx, The International Journal of Conservation, Cambridge Journals, 2013.
- Matthew J. Smith, Richard J. Williams, and Drew W. Purves, Boosting CITES Through Research, in Science, American Association for the Advancement of Science, 18 February 2011.
- D. Kikodze, N. McGough, M. Smith, R. Wilford, L. Garrett, N. Memiadze, D. Kharazishvili, M. Manevelidze, G. Deisadze, T. Pantsulaia, and M. Eristavi, Trade in Georgian Snowdrops - A Roadmap to Sustainability. , no. MSR-TR-2010-65, February 2010.
- Matthew J. Smith, Hesiquio Benitez Diaz, Margarita A. Clemente-Munoz, John Donaldson, Jon Hutton, Noel H. McGough, David H. Morgan, Colman O'Criodian, Thomasina E. Oldfield, Uwe Schippmann, and Richard J. Williams, Assessing the impacts of international trade on CITES-listed species: current practices and opportunities for scientific research, in Biological Conservation, Elsevier, 2010.
- Richard Wilford and Matthew Smith, Drop by Drop, in Kew Magazine, December 2009.
- Noel McGough, Richard Wilford, Lucy Garrett, and Matthew Smith, Georgian Bulb Quota, no. MSR-TR-2009-77, 30 June 2009.
- Matthew J. Smith, The application of population modelling techniques to the development of Non-detriment Findings for Galanthus elwesii in Turkey., in International Expert Workshop on CITES Non-Detriment Findings, Microsoft Research, 17 November 2008.