Qualifying Microsoft Biology Foundation 2.0 beta developers can win an Xbox 360 with Kinect if the bioinformatics or genomics application they build is selected by our panel of judges. The contest begins April 22, 2011, and ends July 15, 2011, at 5:00 P.M. (Pacific Time). Winners will be announced on July 27, 2011. Contest website: research.microsoft.com/mbfcontest
It is your sole responsibility to review and understand your employer’s policies regarding your eligibility to participate in trade promotions. If you are participating in violation of your employer’s policies, you may be disqualified from entering or receiving prizes. Microsoft disclaims any and all liability or responsibility for disputes arising between an employee and their employer related to this matter, and prizes will only be awarded in compliance with the employer’s policies.
Microsoft is committed to complying with government gift and ethics rules and therefore government employees are not eligible.
This Contest is hosted in the United States, and entry information is collected on computers in the United States. This Contest will be governed by the laws of the State of Washington, and you consent to the exclusive jurisdiction and venue of the courts of the State of Washington for any disputes arising out of this Contest. If you do not agree with this provision and these Official Rules, please do not enter this Contest.
COMMON TERMS USED IN THESE RULES
These are the official rules that govern how the Microsoft Biology Foundation Coding contest promotion will operate (“Contest”). In these rules, “we,” “our,” and “us” refer to Microsoft Corporation, the sponsor of this Contest. “You” refers to an eligible Contest entrant.
This is a skill-based Contest. The object of this Contest is to recognize the best Solution(s) built on the Microsoft Biology Foundation. For purposes of this Contest, “Solution” means a product application or implementation that: (i) uses the most recent versions of Microsoft technologies; and (ii) solves a related business problem in the field of genomics/bioinformatics.
For purposes of this contest, each “solution” you create will be called an “entry”. All eligible entries received will be judged using the criteria described below to determine the winners of the prizes described below.
WHAT ARE THE START AND END DATES?
This Contest starts at 12:01 A.M. (Pacific Time) on April 22, 2011, and ends at 5:00 P.M. (Pacific Time) on July 15, 2011 (“Entry Period”).
MAY I ENTER?
You are eligible to enter this Contest if you meet the following requirements at time entry:
- You are a student, professional, or hobbyist in the field of software research or software sales and development and you are 18 years of age or older; and
- If you are 18 of age or older, but are considered a minor in your place of residence, you should ask your parent’s or legal guardian’s permission prior to submitting an entry into this Contest; and
- You are NOT a resident of any of the following countries: Cuba, Iran, North Korea, Sudan, and Syria.
- PLEASE NOTE: U.S. export regulations prohibit the export of goods and services to Cuba, Iran, North Korea, Sudan, and Syria. Therefore, residents of these countries/regions are not eligible to participate.
- You are NOT an employee of Microsoft Corporation or an employee of a Microsoft subsidiary; and
- You are NOT involved in any part of the administration and execution of this Contest; and
- You are NOT an immediate family (parent, sibling, spouse, child) or household member of a Microsoft employee, an employee of a Microsoft subsidiary, or a person involved in any part of the administration and execution of this Contest.
This Contest is void outside the geographic area described above and wherever else prohibited by law.
WHAT CONSTITUTES AN ELIGIBLE ENTRY?
To be eligible for judging, an entry must meet the following content/technical requirements:
- Application must solve and/or address an issue in the field of genomics/bioinformatics.
- Application must be fully functioning.
- Application must be submitted as an open source project in CodePlex that includes the application source code, an executable (or installer), and any documentation or data necessary to run the application properly.
- Application must Use the Microsoft Biology Foundation as a base.
- Entries must be freely downloadable by the general public and offered under the Apache License, version 2.0.
- In the event you incorporate any third-party source code in your entry, you must make sure that your inclusion of such source code (1) does not infringe on any third-party rights, (2) is free to be licensed under the Apache License, version 2.0, and (3) does not impose any obligations on Microsoft or third parties. You are solely responsible for securing all such necessary rights.
- Your entry must be your own original work (except for limited third party source code permitted above); and
- Your entry cannot have been selected as a winner in any other contest; and
- You must have obtained any and all consents, approvals or licenses required for you to submit your entry; and
- Your entry must not otherwise violate the rights of any other person or company by using their trademarks, music, logos, names or images without their express written consent.
Entries may NOT contain, as determined by us, in our sole and absolute discretion, any content that:
- Is sexually explicit, unnecessarily violent or derogatory of any ethnic, racial, gender, religious, professional or age group; profane or pornographic;
- Promotes alcohol, illegal drugs, tobacco, firearms/weapons (or the use of any of the foregoing), or a particular political agenda;
- Is obscene or offensive;
- Defames, misrepresents, or contains disparaging remarks about other people or companies;
- Communicates messages or images inconsistent with the positive images and/or good will to which we wish to associate; and/or violates any law;
- Infringes on any third party rights; and
- Is used not in accordance with any and all applicable licensing and use terms.
We reserve the right to reject any entry, in our sole and absolute discretion, that we determine does not meet the above criteria.
HOW WILL MY ENTRY POTENTIALLY BE USED?
Other than what is set forth below, we are not claiming any ownership rights to your entry. However, by submitting your entry, you:
Please note that following the end of this Contest, your entry may be posted on a website selected by us for viewing by visitors to that website. We are not responsible for any unauthorized use of your entry by visitors to this website. While we reserve these rights, we are not obligated to use your entry for any purpose, even if it has been selected as a winning entry.
If you do not want to grant us these rights to your entry, please do not enter this Contest.
HOW DO I ENTER?
In order to participate in this Contest, you must go to the Contest web site at www.research.microsoft.com/en-us/projects/bio/mbfcontest.aspx and complete and submit the online entry form, including submission of your entry, as instructed.
We will only accept three (3) entries per person.
We are not responsible for entries that we do not receive for any reason, or for entries that we receive but are not decipherable for any reason.
We will automatically disqualify:
- Any incomplete or illegible entry; and
- Any entries that we receive from you that are in excess of the entry limit described above.
WINNER DETERMINATION AND PRIZES
On or around the close of the Entry Period, a panel of judges will review all eligible entries received and select winners of the Contest Prizes described below based upon judging criteria described below.
In the event of a tie between any eligible entries, both of the highest scoring entries will receive a prize. The decisions of the judges are final and binding. If we do not receive a sufficient number of entries meeting the entry requirements, we may, at our discretion, select fewer winners than the number of Contest Prizes described below.
One (1) Grand Prize. A 250GB Xbox 360 with Kinect. Approximate Retail Value (ARV) US$400.00.
The total Approximate Retail Value (ARV) of all prizes: US$400
We will only award one (1) prize per person.
If you are a potential winner, we will notify you by sending a message to the email address, the phone number, or mailing address (if any) provided at time of entry within seven (7) days following completion of judging. If the notification that we send is returned as undeliverable, or you are otherwise unreachable for any reason, we may award to a runner-up.
If there is a dispute as to who is the potential winner, we will consider the potential winner to be the authorized account holder of the email address that was used to enter the Contest. If you are a potential winner, we may require you to sign an Affidavit of Eligibility, Liability/Publicity Release and a W-9 tax form or W-8 BEN tax form within ten (10) days of notification. If you are a potential winner and you are 18 or older, but are considered a minor in your place of legal residence, we may require your parent or legal guardian to sign all required forms on your behalf. If you do not complete the required forms as instructed and/or return the required forms within the time period listed on the winner notification message, we may disqualify you and select a runner-up.
If you are confirmed as a winner of this Contest:
- You may not exchange your prize for cash or any other merchandise or services. However, if for any reason an advertised prize is unavailable, we reserve the right to substitute a prize of equal or greater value; and
You may not designate someone else as the winner. If you are unable or unwilling to accept your prize, we may award it to a runner up; and
- If you accept a prize, you will be solely responsible for all applicable taxes related to accepting the prize; and
- If you are otherwise eligible for this Contest, but are considered a minor in your place of residence, we may award the prize to your parent/legal guardian on your behalf; and
- Unless otherwise noted, all prizes are subject to their manufacturer’s warranty and/or terms and conditions.
WHAT OTHER CONDITIONS AM I AGREEING TO BY ENTERING?
By entering this Contest you agree:
- To abide by these Official Rules; and
- To release and hold harmless Microsoft and its respective parents, subsidiaries, affiliates, employees, and agents from any and all liability or any injury, loss, or damage of any kind arising from or in connection with this Contest, or any prize won; and
- That Microsoft’s decisions will be final and binding on all matters related to this Contest; and
That, by accepting a prize, Microsoft may use of your proper name and state of residence online and in print, or in any other media, in connection with this Contest, without payment or compensation to you, except where prohibited by law.
WHAT LAWS GOVERN THE WAY THIS CONTEST IS EXECUTED AND ADMINISTRATED?
This Contest will be governed by the laws of the State of Washington, and you consent to the exclusive jurisdiction and venue of the courts of the State of Washington for any disputes arising out of this Contest.
WHAT IF SOMETHING UNEXPECTED HAPPENS AND THE CONTEST CAN’T RUN AS PLANNED?
If someone cheats, or a virus, bug, catastrophic event, or any other unforeseen or unexpected event that cannot be reasonably anticipated or controlled, (also referred to as force majeure) affects the fairness and/or integrity of this Contest, we reserve the right to cancel, change, or suspend this Contest. This right is reserved whether the event is due to human or technical error. If a solution cannot be found to restore the integrity of the Contest, we reserve the right to select winners from among all eligible entries received before we had to cancel, change, or suspend the Contest.
If you attempt to compromise the integrity or the legitimate operation of this Contest by hacking or by cheating or committing fraud in ANY way, we may seek damages from you to the fullest extent permitted by law. Further, we may ban you from participating in any of our future Contest, so please play fairly.
HOW CAN I FIND OUT WHO WON?
We will post the names of winners who received a prize worth US$25.00 or more on the Contest website at research.microsoft.com/mbfcontest.
This list will remain posted one month after July 27, 2011.
Complete details of winners are available on request by emailing us:
WHO IS SPONSORING THIS CONTEST?
One Microsoft Way
Redmond, WA 98052