- Your Facebook friend has disallowed apps to access his/her photos
- Your Facebook friend has set their Timeline and Tagging Settings to Only Me. You can check if this is the case by going to their Facebook photos and noticing that they do not have a Photos of <name> tab visible to you.
1. What are the supported architectures for AutoTag 'n Search My Photos?
AutoTag 'n Search My Photos is a modern Windows 8 application that runs on any Windows 8 x86/x64 architecture. We do not have a version for Surface RT yet. It is suitable for both touch enabled and non-enabled devices.
2. What is the min memory and processing capability needed for this application?
We recommend running the application on a powerful tablet, laptop or desktop running Windows 8 or higher. A min of 4 GB memory is recommended and a min of Intel I-5 core @1.7 GHz. The faster the processor and the more the memory the better will be the tagging performance.
3. Why do we need to collect face data?
When you initially launch the app you will see an opt-in page. Please opt-in as the data we collect will be used to improve the recognition accuracy. If you want to actually see the data that is being collected you can find it at C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.AutoTagnSearchMyPhotos_8wekyb3d8bbwe\TempState
All data will be stored securely for upto 30 days and will be used solely for improving recognition accuracy.
4. I've signed into Facebook via the app. Now what?
The app will download tagged photos of you and your friends from Facebook. You can browse the Facebook Friends Photos to see friends photos being downloaded.
5. The app does not download my Facebook friends. It seems to have got me only. What's happening?
First check that you have internet connectivity. Please go to Manage Web Credentials and remove your Facebook entry created by AutoTag 'n Search. This
should pop up a Facebook sign-in page and hopefully this will fix the issue if not send mail to email@example.com.
6. Why does the application only look at Pictures library for tagging?
The application expects your personal photo collection in Pictures Library. For this version we are not connecting to SkyDrive and other cloud based photo sites or external drives. You will need to copy photos you want tagged to your Pictures Library.
7. How do I start tagging?
Navigate to any folder/photo in Pictures library that you want AutoTagged. Tap/click the
Select Friends and Tag Folder/Photo button on the app bar initially, and for later tagging once a set of friends have been learnt, you can skip the select friends-to-tag step by tapping/clicking on Tag photos in folder/photo.
8. How many friends do I choose in the friends selector screen?
Tagging a folder consists of two phases (1) Learning face models of friends on the face selector list (2) Recognition. Since (1) is computationally expensive we suggest keeping the initial list to your close family and friends who you would like to AutoTag initially and adding
additional friends later while tagging other folders allowing more people to be learnt
incrementally. If friends are de-selected from the friends selector the face models
learnt will persist and can be reused for future tagging when re-selected. Note that restricting tagging to a probable known set of friends in the folder will result in fewer false positives and is therefore the recommended suggestion to scope each folder to be tagged to the minimum possible list of friends to be tagged in that folder.
9. I've tagged a folder and see some of my friends profile pictures move from right to left while a few remain stuck on the right side of the screen. Has it not learnt these friends?
As you rightly noticed as friends are learnt their Facebook profile pictures move to the left of the screen. and yes we could not build any face models for your friends on the right. This may be because of either of the reasons below:
You can still AutoTag such friends by user-tagging them in a few photos (around 10) if you can't get them to change their Facebook settings! OR If such a friend may have photos of them in Facebook tagged and uploaded by other friends (like you) simultaneously select the two friends together and the application will look at the others albums in the friends selector list.
10. I notice several of my friends photos in Facebook are tagged but the application does not show the tags for these photos. Why is that the case?
The Facebook API does not return all of the tag information pertaining to photos of a person. For now we know we are only getting a subset of tagged photos and continue investigating.
11. I see a red ! on the profile pictures of many of my friends learnt. What does that mean?
You can hover over the profile pictures to see how many faces were learnt from Facebook for each friend. The red ! indicates that the friend does not have 50 or more pictures of them tagged in Facebook and suitable enough to be used by the application. Editing/Confirming tags when interacting with the application will improve recognition accuracy even if the initial face model learnt from Facebook has a red !
12. For a friend Y, I am seeing several false positives (Person X tagged as Y) and false negatives (Person Y tagged as X or Unknown). How can this be improved?
After a few edits to the tags by fixing the incorrect tags, you can re-tag the folder and see that accuracy improves. Face recognition is a difficult problem (even for humans!) so the accuracy is not going to be great and is dependent on the face models and the test data set (your personal collection of photos). We want to understand if AutoTagging has adequate value so please provide feedback and we can also improve recognition accuracy with the data we collect.
13. How can I easily verify the tags once a folder has been AutoTagged?
We have a feature called Bulk Edit AutoTags that allows you to quickly verify the tags generated. You can edit incorrect tags as well as select a set of faces and confirm tags. Both of these operations will improve the face models built. Once tags have been confirmed they will disappear from the bulk edit view.
14. I see two types of tags a green tag and an orange tag. What do the colors mean?
First orange tags are AutoTags generated by our application. The tag is associated with the Facebook ID of the person which means we can propagate tags back to Facebook. Green tags are tags that the application reads on the photo metadata generated by an external application like SkyDrive. When AutoTagging a folder containing external tags, the application will not attempt to AutoTag faces that have an external tag. This is because we do not want to mess with any human tagging you may have done and ideally want to leverage your hard work. How you may ask? If you choose to you can convert an external tag (green) to an AutoTag managed tag (orange) in the bulk edit view and then AutoTag will automatically learn those faces improving its face model.
15. This is great but I want to tag friends/family/kids not on Facebook. Can I do it?
For friends/family not on Facebook the application can still be used. Edit such a person's face and type in their tag (give them a name). The app then creates a UserCreated person. Associate a few photos of the person using their UserCreated name by editing a few photos with them and now you are ready to select that person into the friends selector list to AutoTag. Before creating a UserCreated tag ensure that the person is not already in your friends list possibly under a different name to avoid creating multiple tags for the same person.
16. I notice that sometimes a face is completely undetected i.e., AutoTag 'n Search does not even display a bounding box with an Unknown tag. How can I help?
Tap or click on the face and a bounding box will appear which you can position on the undetected face and type a tag from the auto complete list of tags known to AutoTag 'n Search or create a new tag if the person is not known to AutoTag 'n Search.
17. How can I search for all photos containing a group of people say X, Y and Z?
Use the search charm to search across all your photos (Facebook + Pictures library) using people
tags. Searching for "X Y Z" where X,Y, and Z are the tag names of people (i.e., people
tags). You can click on any of the search results to view the photo, tags and other metadata for Facebook photos (Likes, Comments etc.).
18. I have my camera photos from a recent trip and want to selectively share some of them on Facebook. Can I do this?
Yes absolutely. Plug your SD card in and copy your camera folder to your pictures library. Start the AutoTag 'n Search Application and tag the folder just copied. Once AutoTagged, Bulk Edit AutoTags. Upload to Facebook and choose an existing album or create a new album to upload. Select pictures to be uploaded and click upload. You should see the photos with tags being uploaded rightaway.
19. I notice for a particular album in Facebook uploading with tags does not propagate the tags. What is happening here?
This has to do with a particular setting in Facebook.