Our goal is to gain insight into the behavior of mobile apps, and to use these insights to improve user experience. We do this by instrumenting the apps, and collecting detailed logs at various stages of app lifecycle. Both the app developers and the Microsoft app platform benefit from the insights gleaned (Appinsight, Timecard and VanarSena). The instrumentation can also be used to alter the behavior of the apps at runtime. For example, we can show more relevant mobile ads (SmartAds), or o save bandwidth (Procrastinator).
Lenin Ravindranath Sivalingam
- Ranveer Chandra, Börje F. Karlsson, Nicholas D. Lane, Chieh-Jan Mike Liang, Suman Nath, Jitu Padhye, Lenin Ravindranath, and Feng Zhao, How to Smash the Next Billion Mobile App Bugs?, in GetMobile: Mobile Computing and Communications, vol. 19, no. 1, ACM – Association for Computing Machinery, January 2015.
- Lenin Ravindranath, Suman Nath, Jitendra Padhye, and Hari Balakrishnan, Automatic and Scalable Fault Detection for Mobile Applications, in The International Conference on Mobile Systems, Applications, and Services (MobiSys), ACM, June 2014.
- Ranveer Chandra, Börje F. Karlsson, Nicholas D. Lane, Chieh-Jan Mike Liang, Suman Nath, Jitu Padhye, Lenin Ravindranath Sivalingam, and Feng Zhao, Towards Scalable Automated Mobile App Testing, no. MSR-TR-2014-44, January 2014.
- Lenin Ravindranath Sivalingam, Sharad Agarwal, Jitu Padhye, and Chris Reiderer, Give in to Procrastination and Stop Prefetching, ACM HotNets, 21 November 2013.
- Lenin Ravindrantah, Jitendra Padhye, Ratul Mahajan, and Hari Balakrishnan, Timecard: Controlling User-Perceived Delays in Server-Based Mobile Applications, in SOSP 2013, SOSP'13: The 24th ACM Symposium on Operating Systems Principles, November 2013.
- Lenin Ravindranath, Suman Nath, Jitendra Padhye, and Hari Balakrishnan, Automatic and Scalable Fault Detection for Mobile Applications, no. MSR-TR-2013-98, September 2013.
- Suman Nath, Felix Xiaozhu Lin, Lenin Ravindranath Sivalingam, and Jitu Padhye, SmartAds: Bringing Contextual Ads to Mobile Apps, in The 11th International Conference on Mobile Systems (MobiSys'13), 2013.
- Lenin Ravindranath Sivalingam, Jitendra Padhye, Sharad Agarwal, Ratul Mahajan, Ian Obermiller, and Shahin Sayandeh, AppInsight: Mobile App Performance Monitoring in the Wild, in 10th USENIX Symposium on Operating Systems Design and Implementation, USENIX, 8 October 2012.
- Sharad Agarwal, Ratul Mahajan, Alice Zheng, and Paramvir Bahl, There's an app for that, but it doesn't work. Diagnosing Mobile Applications in the Wild., in HotNets IX, Association for Computing Machinery, Inc., 20 October 2010.