Online advertising systems bring in direct revenue to companies like Microsoft and Google. Occasionally, anomalous system behavior of malicious user intent can affect the health of such systems. Therefore, such systems require prompt and precise analytics to predict, pre-empt, detect, and diagnose problems such as sudden drops in revenue or new styles of click-fraud occur. Towards this, we are working on a set of projects to analyze these complex systems and keep them running in a healthy manner
- Bimal Viswanath, Muhammad Ahmad Bashir, Mark Crovella, Saikat Guha, Krishna Gummadi, Balachander Krishnamurthy, and Alan Mislove, Towards Detecting Anomalous User Behavior in Online Social Networks, in Proceedings of the 23rd USENIX Security Symposium (USENIX Security), San Diego, CA, August 2014.
- Ranjita Bhagwan, Rahul Kumar, Ramachandran Ramjee, George Varghese, Surjyakanta Mohapatra, Hemanth Manoharan, and Piyush Shah, Adtributor: Revenue Debugging in Advertising Systems, in Symposium on Networked Systems Design and Implemenentation (NSDI), USENIX, April 2014.
- Vacha Dave, Saikat Guha, and Yin Zhang, ViceROI: Catching Click-Spam in Search Ad Networks, in Proceedings of the 20th Conference on Computer and Communications Security (CCS), Berlin, Germany, November 2013.
- Vacha Dave, Saikat Guha, and Yin Zhang, Measuring and Fingerprinting Click-Spam in Ad Networks, in Proceedings of the Special Interest Group on Data Communication (SIGCOMM), Helsinki, Finland, August 2012.
- Saikat Guha, Mudit Jain, and Venkata Padmanabhan, Koi: A Location-Privacy Platform for Smartphone Apps, in Proceedings of the 9th Symposium on Networked Systems Design and Implementation (NSDI), San Jose, CA, April 2012.
- Alexey Reznichenko, Saikat Guha, and Paul Francis, Auctions in Do-Not-Track Compliant Internet Advertising, in Proceedings of the 18th ACM Conference on Computer and Communications Security (CCS), Chicago, IL, October 2011.
- Saikat Guha, Bin Cheng, and Paul Francis, Privad: Practical Privacy in Online Advertising, in Proceedings of 8th Symposium on Networked Systems Design and Implementation (NSDI), Boston, MA, March 2011.
- Saikat Guha, Bin Cheng, and Paul Francis, Challenges in Measuring Online Advertising Systems, in Proceedings of Internet Measurement Conference (IMC), Melbourne, Australia, November 2010.