We discuss the adoption of information and communication technologies in the context of urban slums in Mumbai. We are conducting ethnographic research amongst ICT-based business like mobile phone stores and services, cyber cafes, PC assembling units and computer training institutes.
Through in-depth understanding of informal business networks we are mapping;
the demand for and usage of the internet/mobile internet, mobile phones and PCs in low-income settings
the business ecology of mobile phone repair and servicing and PC assembling
the dissemination of ICT skills and adption
We are presently working in two suburban Mumbai slums in Dharavi and Behram Baugh.
Research interns: Srikanth Yamsani,Sumitra Nair,Ashwini Shelke,Raj Kumar Rath
Rangaswamy, N. & Sambasivan, N (2011), Cutting chai, Jugaad, and Here Pheri: Towards a UbiComp for a Global community, Personal and Ubiquitous Computing 15(6) PP 553-564
Rangaswamy, N. & Nair, Sumitra (2010) The Mobile Phone Store Ecology in a Mumbai Slum Community: Hybrid Networks for Enterprise, Information technology and International Development 16(2) PP 51-65
Rangaswamy N and Nair Sumitra (2010) ‘The PC- aided Enterprise and Re-cycling ICT: An ICT for D Story?’, ICTs and Development : An International Workshop for Theory, Practice, Policy, 11-12 March 2010, New Delhi
Rangaswamy N, Nair, S, (2009)The Mobile Phone Store Ecology in a Mumbai Slum Community: Hybrid Networks for Enterprise, AiOR09Mobile Phones and the Developing World Pre-Conference Workshop, 7 October 2009, Milwaukee
Sambasivan N, Rangaswamy N, Cutrell E, Nardi B, (2009) Ubicomp4D: Infrastructure and Interaction for International Development—the Case of Urban Indian Slums, 11th International conference on Ubiquitous Computing, 30 September 2009 Orlando
Sambasivan N, Rangaswamy N, Toyama K, Nardi B, Encountering Development Ethnographically, forthcoming, ACM Interactions, November/December 2009
Rangaswamy, N (2009) The non-formal business of cyber cafes: a case-study from India, Journal of Information, Communication and Ethics in Society, 7(2/3)
Rangaswamy, N (2009) Keywords in Communication: Mesh-economy and business channels in an Indian urban slum, ICA 2009, pre-conference on India and Communication Studies, May 21 2009, Chicago
Rangaswamy, N (2008) Telecentres and Cyber cafes: The case for ICTs in small business, Asian Journal of Communication, 18(4) pp 365-378
- N Rangaswamy and S Nair, The Mobile Phone Store Ecologyin a Mumbai Slum Community:Hybrid Networks for Enterprise, in Information Technologies and International Development, vol. 16, no. 2, pp. 51-65, November 2010.
- N Rangaswamy and S Nair, The PC- aided Enterprise and Re-cycling ICT: An ICT for D Story?, International Development Research centre, March 2010.
- Rangaswamy and N, ICT for Mesh-Economy: Case-Study of an Urban Slum, International Federation of Information Processing, May 2009.
- N Sambasivan, N Rangaswamy, K Toyama, and B Nardi, Encountering Development Ethnographically, in Interactions, vol. XVI, no. 6, 2009.
- N Rangaswamy and Divya Kumar, The Rise of ICT for Commerce in Small Product Offerings, 19th Australasia Conference on Information Systems, December 2008.