Barrelfish is a new operating system being built from scratch in a collaboration between researchers at ETH Zurich and Microsoft Research, Cambridge. We are exploring how to structure an OS for future multi- and many-core systems. The motivation is two closely related hardware trends: first, the rapidly growing number of cores, which leads to scalability challenges, and second, the increasing diversity in computer hardware, requiring the OS to manage and exploit heterogeneous hardware resources.
For more information about the Barrelfish project and operating system please see http://www.barrelfish.org (a server running the Barrelfish operating system).
- Andrew Baumann, Dongyoon Lee, Pedro Fonseca, Lisa Glendenning, Jacob R. Lorch, Barry Bond, Reuben Olinsky, and Galen C. Hunt, Composing OS extensions safely and efficiently with Bascule, in Eurosys, ACM, April 2013
- Jeffrey C. Mogul, Andrew Baumann, Timothy Roscoe, and Livio Soares, Mind the gap: Reconnecting architecture and OS research, in Proceedings of the 13th Workshop on Hot Topics in Operating Systems (HotOS), USENIX, May 2011
- Simon Peter, Adrian Schüpbach, Paul Barham, Andrew Baumann, Rebecca Isaacs, Tim Harris, and Timothy Roscoe, Design Principles for End-to-End Multicore Schedulers, in Proceedings of the 2nd Workshop on Hot Topics in Parallelism, USENIX, Berkeley, CA, USA, June 2010
- Andrew Baumann, Paul Barham, Pierre-Evariste Dagand, Tim Harris, Rebecca Isaacs, Simon Peter, Timothy Roscoe, Adrian Schüpbach, and Akhilesh Singhania, The Multikernel: A new OS architecture for scalable multicore systems, in 22nd Symposium on Operating Systems Principles, Association for Computing Machinery, Inc., October 2009
- Andrew Baumann, Simon Peter, Adrian Schüpbach, Akhilesh Singhania, Timothy Roscoe, Paul Barham, and Rebecca Isaacs, Your computer is already a distributed system. Why isn't your OS?, in 12th Workshop on Hot Topics in Operating Systems, USENIX, May 2009
- Adrian Schüpbach, Simon Peter, Andrew Baumann, Timothy Roscoe, Paul Barham, Tim Harris, and Rebecca Isaacs, Embracing diversity in the Barrelfish manycore operating system, in Proceedings of the Workshop on Managed Many-Core Systems, Association for Computing Machinery, Inc., June 2008