I joined Microsoft Research Silicon Valley in 2002. My current research focuses on distributed systems for large-scale data parallel computing. I have been mainly working on DryadLINQ and Dryad to build a programming environment for large-scale data parallel computing.
I am currently leading the DryadLINQ project. While at Microsoft Research, I also led the RaceTrack project, and developed the TLC model checker. Before joining MSR, I worked for 9 years at DEC/Compaq Systems Research Center.
Static and runtime program analysis, distributed systems, formal specification and verification, model checking, theorem proving, and software configuration and management.
- Zhengping Qian, Xiuwei Chen, Nanxi Kang, Mingcheng Chen, Yuan Yu, Thomas Moscibroda, and Zheng Zhang, MadLINQ: Large-Scale Distributed Matrix Computation for the Cloud, in EuroSys 2012, ACM, April 2012
- Mark Gabel, Junfeng Yang, Yuan Yu, Moises Goldszmidt, and Zhendong Su, Scalable and Systematic Detection of Buggy Inconsistencies, in ACM International Conference on Systems, Programming, Languages, and Applications: Software for Humanity, OOPSLA Research Papers Track (SPLASH/OOPSLA), October 2010
- Pradeep Kumar Gunda, Lenin Ravindranath, Chandramohan A. Thekkath, Yuan Yu, and Li Zhuang, Nectar: Automatic Management of Data and Computation in Datacenters, in Proceedings of the 9th Symposium on Operating Systems Design and Implementation (OSDI), October 2010
- Yuan Yu, Pradeep Kumar Gunda, and Michael Isard, Distributed Aggregation for Data-Parallel Computing: Interfaces and Implementations, in ACM Symposium on Operating Systems Principles (SOSP), October 2009
- Michael Isard and Yuan Yu, Distributed Data-Parallel Computing Using a High-Level Programming Language, in International Conference on Management of Data (SIGMOD), July 2009
- Yao Zhao, Yinglian Xie, Fang Yu, Qifa Ke, Yuan Yu, Yan Chen, and Eliot Gillum, BotGraph: Large Scale Spamming Botnet Detection, in The 6th USENIX Symposium on Networked Systems Design and Implementation (NSDI '09), USENIX, April 2009
- Yuan Yu, Michael Isard, Dennis Fetterly, Mihai Budiu, Úlfar Erlingsson, Pradeep Kumar Gunda, and Jon Currey, DryadLINQ: A System for General-Purpose Distributed Data-Parallel Computing Using a High-Level Language, in OSDI'08: Eighth Symposium on Operating System Design and Implementation, USENIX, December 2008
- Michael Isard, Mihai Budiu, Yuan Yu, Andrew Birrell, and Dennis Fetterly, Dryad: Distributed Data-parallel Programs from Sequential Building Blocks, in Proceedings of the 2007 Eurosys Conference, Association for Computing Machinery, Inc., Lisbon, Portugal, March 2007
- Allan Heydon, Roy Levin, Timothy Mann, and Yuan Yu, Software Configuration Management Using Vesta, pp. 262, Springer-Verlag, February 2006
- Yuan Yu, Thomas Rodeheffer, and Wei Chen, RaceTrack: Efficient Detection of Data Race Conditions via Adaptive Tracking, in ACM Symposium on Operating Systems Principles (SOSP 2005), Association for Computing Machinery, Inc., Brighton, UK, October 2005
- Serdar Tasiran, Yuan Yu, and Brannon Batson, Using a formal specification and a model checker to monitor and direct simulation., in Proceedings of the 40th Design Automation Conference (DAC), ACM, Anaheim, CA, USA, June 2003
- Rajeev Joshi, Leslie Lamport, John Matthews, Serdar Tasiran, Mark Tuttle, and Yuan Yu, Checking Cache Coherence Protocols with TLA+, in Journal of Formal Methods in System Design, vol. 22, no. 2, pp. 125-131, Kluwer Academic , March 2003