I am a post doctoral researcher in the Biological Computation Group as part of the Computational Science Laboratory at Microsoft Research, Cambridge. I work with Andrew Phillips on research in the field of synthetic biology, where our main goal is to address challenges related to the construction and analysis of biological circuits and models.
I completed my PhD in the Biomedical Engineering Department at Boston University working in the HyNeSs Lab with Calin Belta. My research was aimed at developing a theoretical framework and computational tools that enable the analysis and design of synthetic gene networks through formal verification techniques. The approach was based on the automatic construction of piecewise affine (hybrid) system models of synthetic gene network from characterization data of their parts and the verification of such models against temporal logic specifications using methods inspired by model checking.
After completing my PhD I worked as a postdoctoral researcher as part of the Mechanical Engineering Department at Boston University. During this time, I was involved in projects related to the integration of our methods and tools into bio-design automation frameworks.
- Boyan Yordanov, Christoph Wintersteiger, Youssef Hamadi, Andrew Phillips, and Hillel Kugler, Functional Analysis of Large-scale DNA Strand Displacement Circuits, in DNA 19, Springer, September 2013
- Boyan Yordanov, Christoph M. Wintersteiger, Youssef Hamadi, and Hillel Kugler, Z34Bio: An SMT-based Framework for Analyzing Biological Computation, in SMT'13, July 2013
- Boyan Yordanov, Christoph M. Wintersteiger, Youssef Hamadi, and Hillel Kugler, SMT-based Analysis of Biological Computation, in NASA Formal Methods Symposium 2013, Springer Verlag, May 2013
- Boyan Yordanov, Jana Tumová, Ivana Černá, Jiri Barnat, and Calin Belta, Formal analysis of piecewise affine systems through formula-guided refinement, in Automatica, Elsevier, October 2012
- Boyan Yordanov, Jana Tumova, Ivana Cerna, Jiri Barnat, and Calin Belta, Temporal Logic Control of Discrete-Time Piecewise Affine Systems, in IEEE Transactions on Automatic Control, vol. 57, no. 6, pp. 1491–1504, June 2012
- Boyan Yordanov, Christoph M. Wintersteiger, Youssef Hamadi, and Hillel Kugler, Z3-4biology SMT-based analysis of biological computation, no. MSR-TR-2012-31, 12 March 2012
- B Yordanov, E Appleton, R Ganguly, E A Gol, S B Carr, S Bhatia, T Haddock, C Belta, and D Densmore, Experimentally driven verification of synthetic biological circuits, in Design, Automation Test in Europe Conference Exhibition (DATE), 2012, March 2012
- Boyan Yordanov and Calin Belta, A formal verification approach to the design of synthetic gene networks, in IEEE Conference on Decision and Control and European Control Conference, IEEE, December 2011
- Boyan Yordanov and Calin Belta, Formal Analysis of Discrete-Time Piecewise Affine Systems, in IEEE Transactions on Automatic Control, vol. 55, no. 12, pp. 2834 -2840, 2010
- Jana Tumova, Boyan Yordanov, Calin Belta, Ivana Cerna, and Jiri Barnat, A symbolic approach to controlling piecewise affine systems, in 49th IEEE Conference on Decision and Control (CDC), 2010