Yongguang Zhang is a Principal Researcher at Microsoft. He was also a Research Manager for the Wireless and Networking group at Microsoft Research Asia from 2006 to 2015, where he and his team has built up one of the best networking research groups in the world. Previously, he was a Senior Research Scientist at HRL Labs, and co-PI/technical lead in several DARPA-funded networking and wireless research projects. From 2001 to 2003, he was also an adjunct assistant professor of Computer Science at the University of Texas at Austin. He received his Ph.D. in computer science from Purdue University in 1994.
His research interests span across systems and networking, including mobile, wireless, internet, data-center networking, software radio, ad-hoc, satellite, cellular, security, network systems and hardware. He has published over 50 technical papers, including top conferences and journals of his fields (SIGCOMM, MobiCom, MobiSys, ToN). He has won a string of Best Paper Awards at top networking conferences: NSDI'11, CoNEXT'10, and NSDI’09, and 5 Best Demo Awards in at MobiSys’07, SenSys’07, MobiSys’08, NSDI’09, and SIGCOMM'10. He is an Associate Editor for IEEE transactions on Mobile Computing, an Area Editor for MC2R, was a guest editor in an ACM MONET Journal, and has organized and chaired/co-chaired several international conferences, workshops, and an IETF working group. He is a General Co-Chair for ACM MobiCom’09. He is an IEEE Fellow.
See Wireless and Networking group home page.
Recent Publications (Selected):
- "BigStation: Enable Scalable Real-time Processing in Large MU-MIMO Systems," SIGCOMM 2013.
- "Optimizing Background Email Sync on Smartphones," MobiSys 2013.
- "V-edge: Fast Self-constructive Power Modeling of Smartphones Based on Battery Voltage Dynamics," NSDI 2013.
- "Walkie-Markie: Indoor Pathway Mapping Made Easy," NSDI 2013.
- "Tuning ECN for Data Center Networks," CoNEXT 2012.
- "Datacast: a Scalable and Efficient Reliable Group Data Delivery Service for Data Centers," CoNEXT 2012.
- "Enable Flexible Spectrum Access with Spectrum Virtualization," DySPAN 2012.
- "Frame Retransmission Considered Harmful: Improve Spectrum Efficiency Using uACKs," MobiCom 2012.
- "Soft Video Delivery in MIMO WLANs," MobiCom 2012.
- "DozyAP: Power-Efficient Wi-Fi Tethering," MobiSys 2012.
- "ServerSwitch: A Programmable and High Performance Platform for Data Center Networks," NSDI 2011. (Best Paper Award)
- "ICTCP: Incast Congestion Control for TCP in Data Center Networks," CoNEXT 2010. (Best Paper Award)
- "SecondNet: A Data Center Network Architecture with Bandwidth Guarantees," CoNEXT 2010.
- "Fine-grained Channel Access in Wireless LAN," SIGCOMM 2010.
- "MDCube: A High Performance Network Structure for Modular Data Center Interconnection," CoNEXT 2009.
- "BCube: A High Performance, Server-centric Network Architecture for Modular Data Centers," SIGCOMM 2009.
- "xShare: Supporting Impromptu Sharing of Mobile Phones," MobiSys 2009.
- "Point&Connect: Intention-based Device Pairing for Mobile Phone Users," MobiSys 2009.
- "Sora: High Performance Software Radio using General Purpose Multi-core Processors," NSDI 2009. (Best Paper Award, also Best Demo Award)
- "DCell: A Scalable and Fault-Tolerant Network Structure for Data Centers", SIGCOMM 2008.
- "BeepBeep: A High Accuracy Acoustic Ranging System Using COTS Mobile Devices," SenSys 2007. (Also Best Demo Award)
- "MobiUS: Enable Together-Viewing Video Experience across Two Mobile Devices," MobiSys 2007. (Also Best Demo Award)
ygz (at) microsoft.com
One Microsoft Way
|Redmond, WA 98052|
Conferences and Journals
- My old non-Microsoft pages: www.yongguangzhang.net
Short Bio (in Chinese)
张永光博士现任微软技术与研究部门首席研究员。张博士毕业于美国普渡大学计算机科学系，曾任美国休斯实验室（HRL Labs）高级研究科学家和美国德州大学奥斯汀分校计算机系兼任教授等职务，曾领导互联网技术、卫星网络、网络安全机制和3G无线系统等技术的研究。2006年加入微软后，他带领无线与网络组成为计算机网络界知名的卓越研究组之一，并在软件无线电，未来无线网，数据中心网络，软件定义网络，及移动系统等方面做出突出贡献。张博士是电气电子工程师学会会士（IEEE Fellow）。