I joined Microsoft Research in 2009 right after I got my Ph.D. I am currently affiliated with Internet Services Research Center (ISRC), Search Quality & Cyber-Intelligene Lab (SQ-CIL) in Redmond, WA, USA. During my Ph.D., I worked with my advisor C. Lee Giles on the next generation scientific literature search engine CiteSeer.
My research includes a broad interests of machine learning-related fields, e.g., text classification, information retrieval, search engine ranking, recommender systems and so on.
Online User Behavioral Genome Sequencing: my recent research has focused on user behavioral analysis on search engines, mobile devices and other online services in order to create high quality user profiles and better tailor online services to meet the user needs. Our recent WWW2014 Demo reveals the tip of the iceberg from this project. More can be found in our internal website here.
I've been lucky to have worked with several smart students in the past few years for the summer internships at MSR.
In the past three years, I have been leading a project named Search TrailBlazer that aims at redefining search sessions with tasks. Check out our latest project status and code for scientific uses.
I've put up a page regarding my research on recommender systems for social bookmarking.
- Yang Song, Anca Sailer, and Hidayatullah Shaikh, Hierarchical Online Problem Classification for IT Support Services, in IEEE Transactions on Services Computing (TSC), IEEE Computer Society, 2011
- Mahesh Viswanathan, Hidayatullah Shaikh, Anca Sailer, Yang Song, Xing Fang, Yu Hui Wu, Zhi Le Zou, Kishore P. Reddy, Abhijit Deshmukh, Manish Gupta, Bharat Krishnamurthy, Manish Sethi, Balaji Viswanathan, Joseph G. Gulla, and Fouad Matar, ERMIS: Designing, developing, and delivering a remote managed infrastructure services solution, in IBM Journal of Research and Development, April 2010
- Yang Song, Lu Zhang, and C. Lee Giles, Automatic Tag Recommendation Algorithms for Social Recommender Systems, in ACM Transactions on the Web (TWEB), Association for Computing Machinery, Inc., 2009
- Yang Song, Alek Kolcz, and C. Lee Giles, Better Naive Bayes Classification for High-Precision Spam Detection, in Journal of Software: Practice and Experience (SPE), Wiley, 2009
- Umer Farooq, Yang Song, John M. Carroll, and C. Lee Giles, Social Bookmarking for Scholarly Digital Libraries, in IEEE Internet Computing, IEEE, December 2007
Referred Conference Proceedings
(*) are students I mentored for their summer internships at MSR.
- Yang Song, Hongning Wang*, and Xiaodong He, Adapting Deep RankNet for Personalized Search, in WSDM 2014, ACM, February 2014
- Yang Song, Weiwei Cui, Shixia Liu, and Kuansan Wang, Online Behavioral Genome Sequencing from Usage Logs: Decoding the Search Behaviors, in WWW 2014, ACM, March 2014 (Demo)
- Hongning Wang*, Xiaodong He, Ming-Wei Chang, Yang Song, Ryen White, and Wei Chu, Personalized Ranking Model Adaptation for Web Search, in The 36th Annual ACM SIGIR Conference (SIGIR'2013), ACM, July 2013
- Yang Song, Xiaolin Shi, and Xin Fu, Evaluating and Predicting User Engagement Change with Degraded Search Relevance , in WWW 2013, ACM, May 2013
- Yang Song, Hao Ma, Hongning Wang*, and Kuansan Wang, Exploring and Exploiting User Search Behavior on Mobile and Tablet Devices to Improve Search Relevance, in WWW 2013, ACM, May 2013
- Ryen White, Wei Chu, Ahmed Hassan, Xiaodong He, Yang Song, and Hongning Wang, Enhancing Personalized Search by Mining and Modeling Task Behavior, in WWW 2013, ACM, 2013
- Hongning Wang*, Yang Song, Ming-Wei Chang, Xiaodong He, Ryen White, and Wei Chu, Learning to Extract Cross-Session Search Tasks, in WWW 2013, ACM, 2013
- Zhen Liao*, Yang Song, Li-wei He, and Yalou Huang, Evaluating the Effectiveness of Search Task Trails, in WWW 2012, ACM, April 2012
- Yang Song, Dengyong Zhou, and Li-wei He, Query Suggestion by Constructing Term-Transition Graphs, in WSDM '12, ACM, 8 February 2012
- Yang Song, Umer Farooq, and Baojun Qiu, Hierarchical Tag Visualization and Application for Tag Recommendations, in In Proceedings of the 20th ACM international conference on Information and knowledge management (CIKM '11), Association for Computing Machinery, Inc., 24 October 2011
- Ahmed Hassan*, Yang Song, and Li-wei He, A Task Level User Satisfaction Metric and its Application on Improving Relevance Estimation, in ACM Conference on Information and Knowledge Management (CIKM), Association for Computing Machinery, Inc., 1 October 2011
- Yang Song, Dengyong Zhou, and Li-wei He, Post-Ranking Query Suggestion by Diversifying Search Results, in SIGIR '11 Proceedings of the 34st annual international ACM SIGIR conference on Research and development in information retrieval , Association for Computing Machinery, Inc., July 2011
- Yang Song, Nam Nguyen*, Li-wei He, Scott Imig, and Robert Rounthwaite, Searchable Web Sites Recommendation, in WSDM'11: Proceedings of the Fourth ACM International Conference on Web Search and Data Mining, Association for Computing Machinery, Inc., 2011
- Yang Song and Li-wei He, Optimal Rare Query Suggestion With Implicit User Feedback, in WWW '10 Proceedings of the 19th international conference on World wide web, Association for Computing Machinery, Inc., 2010
- Kamal Jain, Yang Song, Li-wei He, and Mary Czerwinski, Evaluating the Unaccounted Cost of Distraction of Display Ads to the Users, in Web Science Conference 2010 (WebSci 2010), Association for Computing Machinery, Inc., 2010
- Yang Song, Anca Sailer, and HIdayatullah Shaikh, Problem Classification Method to Enhance the ITIL Incident, Problem and Change Management Process, in the 11th IFIP/IEEE International Symposium on Integrated Network Management (IM 2009), IEEE, June 2009
- Yang Song and C. Lee Giles, Efficient User Preference Predictions Using Collaborative Filtering, in the 19th International Conference on Pattern Recognition (ICPR 2008), IEEE, December 2008
- Yang Song, Lu Zhang, and C. Lee Giles, A Non-parametric Approach to Pair-wise Dynamic Topic Correlation Detection, in IEEE International Conference on Data Mining series (ICDM 2008), IEEE, December 2008
- Yang Song, Lu Zhang, and C. Lee Giles, Sparse Gaussian Processes Classification for Fast Tag Recommendation, in ACM 17th Conference on Information and Knowledge Management (CIKM 2008), Association for Computing Machinery, Inc., October 2008
- Yang Song, Ziming Zhuang, Huajing Li, Qiankun Zhao, Jia Li, Wang-Chien Lee, and C. Lee Giles, Real-time Automatic Tag Recommendation, in the 31st Annual International ACM SIGIR Conference (SIGIR 2008) , Association for Computing Machinery, Inc., July 2008
- Umer Farooq, Thomas G. Kannampallil, Yang Song, Crag H. Ganoe, John Carroll, and C. Lee Giles, Evaluating tagging behavior in social bookmarking systems: metrics and design heuristics, in the 2007 international ACM Conference on Supporting Group Work (GROUP '07), Association for Computing Machinery, Inc., November 2007
- Jian Huang, Seyda Erekia, Yang Song, Hongyuan Zha, and C. Lee Giles, Efficient Multiclass Boosting Classification with Active Learning, in Seventh SIAM International Conference (SDM 2007), Society for Industrial and Applied Mathematics, September 2007
- Yang Song, Jian Huang, Ding Zhou, Hongyuan Zha, and C. Lee Giles, IKNN: Informative K-Nearest Neighbor Classification, in PKDD 2007, Springer Verlag, September 2007
- Yang Song, Jian Huang, Isaac G. Councill, Jia Li, and C. Lee Giles, Efficient Topic-based Unsupervised Name Disambiguation, in the 7th ACM/IEEE-CS joint conference on Digital libraries (JCDL 2007), Association for Computing Machinery, Inc., June 2007
- Yang Song, Jian Huang, Isaac G. Councill, Jia Li, and C. Lee Giles, Generative Models for Name Disambiguation, in the 16th international conference on World Wide Web (WWW 2007), Association for Computing Machinery, Inc., April 2007
- Yang Song, Ding Zhou, Jian Huang, Isaac G. Councill, Hongyuan Zha, and C. Lee Giles, Boosting the Feature Space: Text Categorization for Unstructured Data on the Web, in the Sixth IEEE international Conference on Data Mining, (ICDM 2006), IEEE, December 2006
- Ding Zhou, Yang Song, Ya Zhang, and Hongyuan Zha, Towards Discovering Organizational Structure from Email Corpus, in the 4th IEEE International Conference on Machine Learning and Applications, Los Angeles , CA, U.S.A. 2005 (ICMLA 2005). , IEEE, August 2005
- Huajing Li, Isaac G. Councill, Levent Bolelli, Ding Zhou, Yang Song, Wang-Chien Lee, A. Sivasubrana, and C. Lee Giles, CiteSeerX - A scalable autonomous scientific digital library, in the First International Conference on Scalable Information Systems (INFOSCALE 06), IEEE, August 2005
- Program Committee of ECML/PKDD 2009
- Journal Reviewer of
- Journal of Machine Learning Research (JMLR)
- ACM Transactions on Information Systems (TOIS)
- ACM Transactions on Internet Technology (TOIT)
- ACM Transactions on Intelligent Systems and Technology (TIST)
- Journal of Information Retrieval
- Journal of Pattern Recognition
- Journal of American Society for Information Science and Technology
- Journal of Web Semantics
- IET Information Security