Senior Researcher, Microsoft Research Redmond
Email:xshua at microsoft.com
Dr Xian-Sheng Hua has been a senior researcher in Microsoft Research Redmond since 2013, working on Web-scale image and video understanding and search, as well as related applications.
Before that, he was a Principal Research and Development Lead in Multimedia Search for the Microsoft search engine, Bing, since 2011. He led a team that designed and delivered leading-edge media understanding, indexing and searching features.
He joined Microsoft Research Asia in 2001 as a researcher. Since then, his research interests have been in the areas of multimedia search, advertising, understanding, and mining, as well as pattern recognition and machine learning. He has authored or co-authored more than 200 research papers in these areas and has filed more than 90 patents.
Dr Hua received his BS in 1996 and PhD in applied mathematics in 2001 from Peking University, Beijing. He served or is now serving as an associate editor of IEEE Transactions on Multimedia, an associate editor of ACM Transactions on Intelligent Systems and Technology, an editorial board member of Advances in Multimedia and Multimedia Tools and Applications, and an editor of Scholarpedia (multimedia category). He was vice program chair; workshop organizer; senior TPC member and area chair; and demonstration, tutorial, and special session chairs and PC member of many more international conferences. He serves as a program co-chair for IEEE ICME 2013, ACM Multimedia 2012, and IEEE ICME 2012.
He was honored as one of the recipients of the prestigious 2008 MIT Technology Review TR35 Young Innovator Award for his outstanding contributions to video search. He won the Best Paper and Best Demonstration Awards at ACM Multimedia 2007, the Best Poster Award at IEEE International Workshop on Multimedia Signal Processing 2008, the Best Student Paper Award at ACM Conference on Information and Knowledge Management 2009, the Best Paper Award at International Conference on MultiMedia Modeling 2010, and the best paper award of IEEE Trans. on CSVT in 2014. He was named one of Global Entrepreneur’s “Business Elites of People under 40 to Watch'' in 2009.
He is a senior member of ACM and IEEE.
- Xian-Sheng Hua and Jin Li, Prajna: Towards Recognizing Whatever You Want from Images without Image Labeling, AAAI - Association for the Advancement of Artificial Intelligence, January 2015
- Xian-Sheng Hua, Linjun Yang, Jingdong Wang, Jing Wang, Ming Ye, Kuansan Wang, Yong Rui, and Jin Li, Clickage: Towards Bridging Semantic and Intent Gaps via Mining Click Logs of Search Engines, in ACM Multimedia 2013, ACM Conference on Multimedia, 21 October 2013
- Tao Mei, Lin-Xie Tang, Jinhui Tang, and Xian-Sheng Hua, Near-Lossless Semantic Video Summarization and Its Applications to Video Analysis, in ACM Trans. Multimedia Computing Communications and Applications, ACM, 2013
- Ning Zhang, Tao Mei, Xian-Sheng Hua, Ling Guan, and Shipeng Li, Interactive Mobile Visual Search for Social Activities Completion Using Query Image Contextual Model, in Proceedings of MMSP (Top 10% Paper Award), September 2012
- tao mei, ruofei zhang, and xian-sheng hua, Internet Multimedia Advertising: Techniques and Technologies, in Tutorial, ACM Multimedia, 28 November 2011
- Jinfeng Zhuang, Tao Mei, Steven C. H. Hoi, Xian-Sheng Hua, and Shipeng Li, Modeling Social Strength in Social Media Community via Kernel-based Learning, in ACM Multimedia, ACM Multimedia, November 2011
- Teng Li, Tao Mei, In So Kweon, and Xian-Sheng Hua, Contextual Bag of Words for Visual Categorization, in IEEE Trans. on Circuits and Systems for Video Technology, April 2011
- Lifeng Shang, Linjun Yang, Fei Wang, Kwok-Ping Chan, and Xian-Sheng Hua, Real-time Large Scale Near-duplicate Web Video Retrieval, in ACM Multimedia 2010, ACM Multimedia, October 2010
- Kerui Min, Linjun Yang, John Wright, Lei Wu, Xian-Sheng Hua, and Yi Ma, Compact Projection: Simple and Efficient Near Neighbor Search with Practical Memory Requirements, in IEEE International Conference on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition (CVPR), 2010
- Lei Wu, Xian-Sheng Hua, Nenghai Yu, Wei-Ying Ma, and shipeng li, Flickr Distance, in Proceeding of ACM Multimedia 2008, Association for Computing Machinery, Inc., 28 October 2008