I work in computer vision and human-computer interaction.
I also enjoy C++ and low-level programming. I am the author of this cool Visual Studio plug-in that lets you view in-memory images while debugging C++ code.
I joined Microsoft in 2008 to work on handwriting recognition algorithms in Windows 7. From 2009 to 2010 I worked on web-scale learning problems in Bing. Before joining Microsoft I worked as Research Scientist in at the Max-Planck Institute for Intelligent Systems. Here's my old homepage.
I received my PhD from the University of Tübingen, Germany. My thesis is about modeling human eye movements with statistical learning methods.
- Wolf Kienzle and Ken Hinckley, Writing Handwritten Messages on a Small Touchscreen, ACM MobileHCI, 2013
- P. Dollár, R. Appel, and W. Kienzle, Crosstalk Cascades for Frame-Rate Pedestrian Detection, in ECCV, European Conference on Computer Vision, September 2012
- Johannes Kopf, Wolf Kienzle, Steven Drucker, and Sing Bing Kang, Quality Prediction for Image Completion, in ACM Transactions on Graphics (Proceedings of SIGGRAPH Asia 2012), vol. 31, no. 6, 2012
- W Kienzle, MO Franz, B Schölkopf, and FA Wichmann, Center-surround patterns emerge as optimal predictors for human saccade targets, in Journal of Vision, vol. 9, no. 5:7, pp. 1-15, May 2009
- S Klöppel, C Chu, GC Tan, B Draganski, H Johnson, JS Paulsen, W Kienzle, SJ Tabrizi, J Ashburner, and RSJ Frackowiak, Automatic detection of preclinical neurodegeneration: Presymptomatic Huntington disease, in Neurology, vol. 72, no. 5, pp. 426-431, February 2009
- FA Wichmann, W Kienzle, B Schölkopf, and M Franz, Non-linear System Identification: Visual Saliency Inferred from Eye-Movement Data, in Journal of Vision, vol. 9, no. 8, pp. article 32, 2009
- P Breuer, KI Kim, W Kienzle, B Schölkopf, and V Blanz, Automatic 3D Face Reconstruction from Single Images or Video, in FG 2008, IEEE Computer Society, Los Alamitos, CA, USA, September 2008
- W Kienzle, B Schölkopf, F Wichmann, and MO Franz, How to Find Interesting Locations in Video: A Spatiotemporal Interest Point Detector Learned from Human Eye movements, in Pattern Recognition, Springer, Berlin, Germany, September 2007
- W Kienzle, FA Wichmann, B Schölkopf, and MO Franz, A Nonparametric Approach to Bottom-Up Visual Saliency, in Advances in Neural Information Processing Systems 19, MIT Press, Cambridge, MA, USA, September 2007
- W Kienzle and K Chellapilla, Personalized handwriting recognition via biased regularization, in ICML 2006, ACM Press, New York, NY, USA, June 2006
- W Kienzle, FA Wichmann, B Schölkopf, and MO Franz, Learning an Interest Operator from Human Eye Movements, in CVPWR 2006, IEEE Computer Society, Los Alamitos, CA, USA, April 2006
- W Kienzle and B Schölkopf, Training Support Vector Machines with Multiple Equality Constraints, in Proceedings of the 16th European Conference on Machine Learning, Lecture Notes in Computer Science, Vol. 3720, Springer, Berlin, Germany, November 2005
- W Kienzle, G BakIr, M Franz, and B Schölkopf, Face Detection: Efficient and Rank Deficient, in Advances in Neural Information Processing Systems 17, MIT Press, Cambridge, MA, USA, July 2005
- W Kienzle, G BakIr, M Franz, and B Schölkopf, Efficient Approximations for Support Vector Machines in Object Detection, in DAGM 2004, Springer, Berlin, Germany, 2004