I am working in the Extreme Computing Group (XCG), Microsoft Research, Redmond. I am passionated in a broad range of topics (e.g., parallel algorithm, large-scale distributed systems and programming language). My current interests lie in the intersection of Cloud computing and large scale data processing and has devloped several research prototypes that enable data and compute- intensive applications on Windows Azure. Specific examples include NCBI Blast on Azure and Excel DataScope. I am currently working on the project Daytona, an iterative Map-Reduce runtime on Windows Azure.
Prior to coming to Microsoft, I completed my Ph.D. in 2008 at Indiana University Bloomington in the Comptuer Science department advised by Prof Dennis Gannon. One of most interesting work I has developed is parallel XML processing on multicore processors. Before that, I earned my M.S. degree from Zhejiang University.
- Rebecca Balebako, Jaeyeon Jung, Wei Lu, Lorrie Faith Cranor, and Carolyn Nguyen, "Little Brothers Watching You:" Raising Awareness of Data Leaks on Smartphones, in Symposium on Usable Privacy and Security, ACM – Association for Computing Machinery, July 2013
- Roger S Barga, Jaliya Ekanayake, and Wei Lu, Project Daytona: Data Analytics as a Cloud Service, in Proceedings of the International Conference of Data Engineering (ICDE), International Conference on Data Engineering, 7 March 2012
- Jaliya Ekanayake, Jared Jackson, Wei Lu, Roger Barga, and Atilla Soner Balkir, A Scalable Communication Runtime for Clouds, in Proceedings IEEE Cloud 2011, The 4th International Conference on Cloud Computing, IEEE Computer Society, 4 July 2011
- Ankur Dave, Roger Barga, Wei Lu, and Jared Jackson, CloudClustering: Toward an iterative data processing pattern on the cloud, in Proceedings of IEEE DataCloud 2011, IEEE, 16 June 2011
- Wei Lu, Jared Jackson, Jaliya Ekanayake, and Roger Barga, Performing Large Science Experiments on Azure: Pitfalls and Solutions, in Proceedings of the 2nd IEEE Int'l Conference on Cloud Computing Technology and Science, IEEE Computer Society, 30 November 2010
- Wei Lu, Jared Jackson, and Roger Barga, AzureBlast: A Case Study of Developing Science Applications on the Cloud, in Proceedings of the 1st Workshop on Scientific Cloud Computing (Science Cloud 2010), Association for Computing Machinery, Inc., 21 June 2010
Wei Lu and Dennis Gannon. A Library for Asynchronous Concurrent Service Orchestration. 4th IEEE International Conference on e-Science and Grid Computing, 2008
Wei Lu, Selina Gunarathne and Dennis Gannon. Developing a Concurrent Service Orchestration Engine in CCR. In Workshop on Multicore Software Engineering (IWMSE) in conjunction with ICSE, Leipzig, Germany, 2008.
Wei Lu and Dennis Gannon. Parallel XML Processing by Work Stealing. In Proceedings of the 16th ACM International Symposium on HPDC ,2007.
Wei Lu, Kenneth Chiu, Satoshi Shirasuna, and Dennis Gannon. A Hybrid Decomposition Scheme for Building Scientific Workflows. In HPC'07 (Proceedings of High Performance Computing Symposium, SCS Spring Simulation Multiconference, 2007. [Best Paper Award]
Yinfei Pan, Wei Lu, Ying Zhang, and Kenneth Chiu. A Static Load-balancing Scheme for Parallel XML Parsing on Multicore cpus. In IEEE CCGrid'07 , May 2007.
Wei Lu, Kenneth Chiu, and Yinfei Pan. A Parallel Approach to XML Parsing. In The 7th IEEE/ACM International Conference on Grid Computing, 2006.
Wei Lu, Kenneth Chiu, and Dennis Gannon. Building a Generic SOAP Framework over Binary XML,. In Proceedings of the 15th ACM International Symposium on HPDC, 2006.
- Wei Lu, Kenneth Chiu, Aleksander Slominski, and Dennis Gannon. A Streaming Validation Model for SOAP Digital Signature. In Proceedings of the 14th ACM International Symposium on HPDC, 2005