Vikram Dendi is the Strategy Director for Microsoft Research and acts as the Technical & Strategy Advisor to the Head of Microsoft Research. He is responsible for increasing the impact of MSR’s research investments and also currently oversees the teams supporting technology transfer, IP strategy and technical operations.
Vikram has been at Microsoft Research for five years and his prior responsibilities included helping transform research technologies like machine translation into high value developer and user experiences. He was responsible for shaping the product direction and business strategy for Microsoft’s translation platform, which is used by most major Microsoft products, including Bing, Office and Windows, as well as many partner products (Facebook, eBay, Twitter, etc.). Over the course of his tenure at Microsoft, he contributed to a number of other “new product” efforts in a variety of areas, including Maps, Location Based Services, Phone, and Emerging Markets.
Prior to Microsoft, he worked for Real Networks where he played a key role in establishing the company’s open source strategy and was responsible for designing, building, and shipping consumer products for the Mac and Linux platforms.
Vikram graduated with honors from California Institute of Technology and while an Entrepreneurial Fellow in a National Science Foundation sponsored program, he founded his first startup company in the area of tablet computing. Vikram's research interests include Computer Human Interaction, Social Computing, Intelligent Interfaces and Software Agents.
- A Kumaran, Naren Datha, Vikram Dendi, and Ashwani Sharma, WikiBhasha: OurExperiences with Multilingual Content Creation Tool for Wikipedia, in Proceedings of the Wikipedia India Conference 2011, Wikimedia Foundation, December 2011.
- kumarana, narend, Ashwani Sharma, and Vikram Dendi, WikiBhasha:OurExperiences with Multilingual Content Creation Tool for Wikipedia, in Proceedings of Wikipedia Conference India, Wikimedia Foundation, November 2011.
- A Kumaran, Naren Datha, B Ashok, K Saravanan, Anil Ande, Ashwani Sharma, Sridhar Vedantham, Vidya Natampally, Vikram Dendi, and Sandor Maurice, WikiBABEL: A System for Multilingual Wikipedia Content, in in Proceedings of the 'Collaborative Translation: technology, crowdsourcing, and the translator perspective' Workshop (co-located with AMTA 2010 Conference), Denver, Colorado, Association for Machine Translation in the Americas, 31 October 2010.
- A Kumaran, Naren Datha, K Saravanan, Vikram Dendi, and Sandor Maurice, WikiBABEL: A Wiki-style Platform for Creation of Parallel Data, in the 47th Annual Meeting of the Association for Computational Linguistics and the 4th International Joint Conference on Natural Language Processing of the Asian Federation of Natural Language Processing (ACL/IJCNLP-2009), Singapore, Singapore, Association for Computational Linguistics, August 2009.
- Vikram Dendi, The Emergence Of Machine Translation, in MSDN Magazine, 1 January 2009.