George Varghese obtained his Ph.D in 1992 from MIT. He worked from 1993-1999 at Washington University, and from 1999 to 2012 at UCSD, both as professor of computer science. He was the Distinguished Visitor in the computer science department at Stanford University from 2010-2011. He joined Microsoft Research in 2012. He was the 2014 winner of the IEEE Koji Kobayashi Computers and Communications Award for his work in “algorithmics and its applications to high-speed packet networks”. He was the 2014 winner of the ACM SIGCOMM Award "for sustained and diverse contributions to network algorithmics, with far reaching impact in both research and industry" Past winners can be found at http://www.sigcomm.org/awards/sigcomm-awards.
Together with colleagues, he has 22 patents awarded in the general field of Network Algorithmics. Several of the algorithms he helped develop appear in commercial systems including Linux (timing wheels), the Cisco GSR (DRR), and Microsoft Windows (IP lookups). He helped design the hardware lookup engine for Procket's 40 Gbps router. He has been on the advisory boards of Memoir, Jibe, Sanera, and SwitchOn, and consulted for ST MicroElectronics, AOL, and Fujitsu. In May 2004, he co-founded NetSift Inc., where he was President and CTO. NetSift was acquired by Cisco Systems in 2005. His book "Network Algorithmics" on fast router and endnode implementations was published in 2004 by Morgan-Kaufman.
He has written over 100 papers, mostly on networking, but also on computer architecture, genomics, and databases. After Dijkstra's early work, he helped develop general techniques for self-stabilization, an abstraction of a strong network fault-tolerance property. His Erdos number is 2 via mathematicians Ron and Fan Graham.
He has been a Fellow of the ACM since 2002 and an ONR Young Investigator. He was PC co-chair of SIGCOMM 2012 and general co-chair of SIGCOMM 2001. He won the UCSD Best Teacher Award (2001) and the Graduate Mentor of the Year Award at Washington University (1997). With colleagues, he has won best paper awards at SIGCOMM (2014), ANCS (2013), OSDI (2008) and PODC (1996), and the IETF Applied Networking Prize (2013).
An updated source of recent work is http://cseweb.ucsd.edu/~varghese/ The only papers listed below are those with coauthors at Microsoft who have entered them. A second source of recent papers is http://www.dblp.org/pers/hd/v/Varghese:George.html
- Nikolaj Bjørner, Garvit Juniwal, Ratul Mahajan, Sanjit A. Seshia, and George Varghese, ddNF: An Efficient Data Structure for Header Spaces, 3 November 2015.
- Hongyi Zeng, Ratul Mahajan, Nick McKeown, George Varghese, Lihua Yuan, and Ming Zhang, Measuring and Troubleshooting Large Operational Multipath Networks with Gray Box Testing, no. MSR-TR-2015-55, June 2015.
- Ashish Vulimiri, Carlo Curino, Brighten Godfrey, Konstantinos Karanasos, and George Varghese, WANalytics: Analytics for a Geo-Distributed Data-Intensive World, in CIDR 2015, ACM – Association for Computing Machinery, January 2015.
- Nuno Lopes, Nikolaj Bjorner, Patrice Godefroid, Karthick Jayaraman, and George Varghese, Checking Beliefs in Dynamic Networks, no. MSR-TR-2014-58, 30 April 2014.
- Ranjita Bhagwan, Rahul Kumar, Ramachandran Ramjee, George Varghese, Surjyakanta Mohapatra, Hemanth Manoharan, and Piyush Shah, Adtributor: Revenue Debugging in Advertising Systems, in Symposium on Networked Systems Design and Implemenentation (NSDI), USENIX, April 2014.
- Christos Kozanitis, Vineet Bafna, Ravi Pandya, and George Varghese, Interactive Genomics: Rapidly Querying Genomes in the Cloud, no. MSR-TR-2013-116, November 2013.
- Nuno Lopes, Nikolaj Bjorner, Patrice Godefroid, and George Varghese, Network Verification in the Light of Program Verification, 30 September 2013.
- Radhika Niranjan Mysore, Ratul Mahajan, Amin Vahdat, and George Varghese, Gestalt: Unifying fault localization for networked systems, no. MSR-TR-2013-65, 1 July 2013.
- Anshul Rai, Ramachandran Ramjee, Ashok Anand, Venkat Padmanabhan, and George Varghese, MiG: Efficient Migration of Desktop VMs using Semantic Compression, in USENIX Annual Technical Conference, , June 2013.