Toby Sharp is a Principal Research Software Development Engineer in the Machine Learning and Perception group at Microsoft Research, Cambridge, where he has worked since 2005. He has transferred several research projects into Microsoft technologies and products, and has contributed computer vision components to Microsoft’s Kinect, Office and LifeCam software. His other work includes computer graphics, image editing and GPU programming. He holds a BSc in Mathematics (1st) from the University of York.
Prior to joining Microsoft, he developed consumer photo and video editing software for Serif in the UK. In 2010 he received the Excellence in Design award from RSNA for real-time virtual colonoscopy software. In 2011 he and colleagues received the Best Paper prize at CVPR and the Royal Academy of Engineering MacRobert Award for the machine learning contribution to Kinect’s body tracking.
Toby is a Senior Member of the IEEE.
- Jamie Shotton, Ross Girshick, Andrew Fitzgibbon, Toby Sharp, Mat Cook, Mark Finocchio, Richard Moore, Pushmeet Kohli, Antonio Criminisi, Alex Kipman, and Andrew Blake, Efficient Human Pose Estimation from Single Depth Images, in Decision Forests for Computer Vision and Medical Image Analysis, Springer, 2013
- S. Nowozin, C. Rother, S. Bagon, T. Sharp, B. Yao, and P. Kohli, Decision Tree Fields: An Efficient Non-parametric Random Field Model for Image Labeling, in Decision Forests for Computer Vision and Medical Image Analysis, Springer, 2013
- Jamie Shotton, Toby Sharp, Alex Kipman, Andrew Fitzgibbon, Mark Finocchio, Andrew Blake, Mat Cook, and Richard Moore, Real-time human pose recognition in parts from single depth images, in Communications of the ACM (CACM), ACM, January 2013
- J. Shotton, D. Robertson, and T. Sharp, Efficient Implementation of Decision Forests, Springer, 2013
- Jonathan Taylor, Jamie Shotton, Toby Sharp, and Andrew Fitzgibbon, The Vitruvian Manifold: Inferring Dense Correspondences for One-Shot Human Pose Estimation, in Proc. CVPR, IEEE, June 2012
- Jeremy Jancsary, Sebastian Nowozin, Toby Sharp, and Carsten Rother, Regression Tree Fields - An Efficient, Non-parametric Approach to Image Labeling Problems, in IEEE Computer Society Conference on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition (CVPR), IEEE Computer Society, 10 April 2012
- Sebastian Nowozin, Carsten Rother, Shai Bagon, Toby Sharp, Bangpeng Yao, and Pushmeet Kohli, Decision Tree Fields: An Efficient Non-Parametric Random Field Model for Image Labelling, in Decision Forests: for Computer Vision and Medical Image Analysis; Springer: Advances in Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition, Springer, 2012
- Jamie Shotton, Ross Girshick, Andrew Fitzgibbon, Toby Sharp, Mat Cook, Mark Finocchio, Richard Moore, Pushmeet Kohli, Antonio Criminisi, Alex Kipman, and Andrew Blake, Efficient Human Pose Estimation from Single Depth Images, in Trans. PAMI, IEEE, 2012
- Alex Mansfield, Mukta Prasad, Carsten Rother, Toby Sharp, Pushmeet Kohli, and Luc Van Gool, Transforming Image Completion, in BMVC, September 2011
- Antonio Criminisi, Toby Sharp, and Patrick Perez, Geodesic Forests for Image Editing, no. MSR-TR-2011-96, 11 August 2011
- Antonio Criminisi, Toby Sharp, Carsten Rother, and Patrick Perez, Geodesic Image and Video Editing, in Invited talk at SIGGRAPH, Aug 2011, Vancouver. Published in ACM Transactions on Graphics, 2010. , August 2011
- Jamie Shotton, Andrew Fitzgibbon, Mat Cook, Toby Sharp, Mark Finocchio, Richard Moore, Alex Kipman, and Andrew Blake, Real-Time Human Pose Recognition in Parts from a Single Depth Image, in CVPR, IEEE, June 2011
- Sebastian Nowozin, Carsten Rother, Shai Bagon, Toby Sharp, Bangpeng Yao, and Pushmeet Kohli, Decision Tree Fields, in ICCV, 2011
- T. Sharp, D. Robertson, and A. Criminisi, Volume Rendering on Server GPUs for Enterprise-Scale Medical Applications, no. MSR-TR-2010-72, 10 June 2010
- Antonio Criminisi, Toby Sharp, and Khan Siddiqui, Interactive Geodesic Segmentation of n-Dimensional Medical Images on the Graphics Processor, in Radiological Society of North America (RSNA), December 2009
- Victor Lempitsky, Pushmeet Kohli, Carsten Rother, and Toby Sharp, Image Segmentation with A Bounding Box Prior, in ICCV, 2009
- Christoph Rhemann, Carsten Rother, Alex Rav-Acha, and Toby Sharp, High Resolution Matting via Interactive Trimap Segmentation, in CVPR, June 2008
- Peter Gehler, Carsten Rother, Andrew Blake, Tom Minka, and Toby Sharp, Bayesian Color Constancy Revisited, in CVPR, 2008
- Antonio Criminisi, Toby Sharp, and Andrew Blake, GeoS: Geodesic Image Segmentation, in Proc. European Conference on Computer Vision (ECCV), Springer, 2008
- Toby Sharp, Implementing Decision Trees and Forests on a GPU, in ECCV (4), Springer, 2008
- Toby Sharp, An Implementation of Key-Based Digital Signal Steganography., in Information Hiding, Springer-Verlag, January 2001