I am a senior researcher with the systems and networking group at Microsoft Research, Cambridge, UK. My research interests span most aspects of computer communications and networks with my current focus being on data centers. In the past, I worked on Internet measurements and monitoring, traffic classification, network management, home networks, social networks, and peer-to-peer networks.
I received my Ph.D from the Computer Science department of the University of California, Riverside, and completed my undergraduate studies at the department of Applied Informatics of the University of Macedonia in Thessaloniki, Greece.
Windows Server 2016 Technical Preview 2 (TP2) and Storage Quality of Service (QoS)
Storage Quality of Service Guide Released for Windows Server Technical Preview
Download the Microsoft Research Storage Toolkit
SMB Bandwidth Management shipped in Windows Server 2012R2 (from our SOSP'13 paper)
- PC chair: Passive and Active Measurements Conference (PAM) 2016, ACM SIGCOMM WOSN 2008, Workshop on Online Social Networks 2007.
- TPC member: ACM SIGCOMM 2009, ACM CoNEXT 2013-2015, ACM SIGCOMM WOSN 2009, ACM SIGCOMM/USENIX IMC 2008, 2010, 2011, IEEE INFOCOM 2008-2012, PAM 2009-2010, 2012, 2014-2015.
- Steering committee: Workshop on Online Social Networks (WOSN 2008, 2009, 2010)
- Editor: Transactions on Networking
- Guest editor: IEEE Network Special Issue on Online Social Networks
- Hitesh Ballani, Paolo Costa, Christos Gkantsidis, Matthew P. Grosvenor, Thomas Karagiannis, Lazaros Koromilas, and Greg O'Shea, Enabling End Host Network Functions, in SIGCOMM, ACM – Association for Computing Machinery, August 2015.
- Sebastian Angel, Hitesh Ballani, Thomas Karagiannis, Greg O'Shea, and Eno Thereska, End-to-end Performance Isolation through Virtual Datacenters, in OSDI'14: The 11th USENIX Symposium on Operating Systems Design and Implementation, USENIX – Advanced Computing Systems Association, October 2014
- Fahad R Dogar, Thomas Karagiannis, Hitesh Ballani, and Ant Rowstron, Decentralized Task-aware Scheduling for Data Center Networks, in SIGCOMM, ACM, August 2014
- Eno Thereska, Hitesh Ballani, Greg O'Shea, Thomas Karagiannis, Ant Rowstron, Tom Talpey, Richard Black, and Timothy Zhu, IOFlow: A Software-Defined Storage Architecture, in SOSP'13: The 24th ACM Symposium on Operating Systems Principles, ACM, November 2013
- Thanasis Petsas, Antonis Papadogiannakis, Michalis Polychronakis, Evangelos P. Markatos, and Thomas Karagiannis, Rise of the Planet of the Apps: A Systematic Study of the Mobile App Ecosystem, Internet Measurement Conference (IMC), October 2013
- Hitesh Ballani, Keon Jang, Thomas Karagiannis, Changhoon Kim, Dinan Gunawardena, and Greg O'Shea, Chatty tenants and the cloud network sharing problem, in USENIX Symposium on Networked Systems Design and Implementation, NSDI, April 2013
- Virajith Jalaparti, Hitesh Ballani, Paolo Costa, Thomas Karagiannis, and Ant Rowstron, Bridging the Tenant-Provider Gap in Cloud Services , ACM Symposium on Cloud Computing, October 2012
- Hitesh Ballani, Paolo Costa, Thomas Karagiannis, and Ant Rowstron, The Price Is Right: Towards Location-Independent Costs in Datacenters, ACM HotNets, November 2011
- Dinan Gunawardena, Thomas Karagiannis, Alexandre Proutiere, Elizeu Santos-Neto, and Milan Vojnovic, Scoop: Decentralized and Opportunistic Multicasting of Information Streams, in ACM Mobicom, September 2011
Hitesh Ballani, Paolo Costa, Thomas Karagiannis, and Ant Rowstron, Towards Predictable Datacenter Networks, in ACM SIGCOMM, August 2011
Christopher Wilson, Hitesh Ballani, Thomas Karagiannis, and Ant Rowstron, Better Never than Late: Meeting Deadlines in Datacenter Networks, in ACM SIGCOMM, August 2011 (SIGCOMM honorable mention award)
Marshini Chetty, Richard Banks, Richard Harper, Tim Regan, Abigail Sellen, Christos Gkantsidis, Thomas Karagiannis, and Peter Key, Who's Hogging the Bandwidth?: The Consequences Of Revealing The Invisible In the Home, in ACM CHI 2010, April 2010.
- Thomas Karagiannis, Richard Mortier, and Antony I. T. Rowstron, Network exception handlers: Host-network control in enterprise networks, in ACM SIGCOMM, pp. 123-134, 2008
- Thomas Karagiannis, Jean-Yves Le Boudec, Milan Vojnovic, Power-Law and Exponential Decay of Inter-Contact Times Between Mobile Devices, in Proc. of ACM Mobicom, 2007
- C. Gkantsidis, T. Karagiannis, P. Rodriguez, and M. Vojnovic, Planet Scale Software Updates, in ACM SIGCOMM, Sep. 2006
- T. Karagiannis, P. Rodriguez, and D. Papagiannaki, Should Internet Service Providers Fear Peer-Assisted Content Distribution?, in ACM/USENIX Internet Measurement Conference (IMC), Oct. 2005
Presentation at NANOG, October 2005 [pdf]
- Thomas Karagiannis, Konstantina Papagiannaki, and Michalis Faloutsos, BLINC: multilevel traffic classification in the dark, in ACM SIGCOMM, pp. 229-240, Aug. 2005
Presentation at NANOG, October 2005 [pdf]
- Thomas Karagiannis, Andre Broido, Michalis Faloutsos, and Kimberly C. Claffy, Transport layer identification of P2P traffic, in ACM/USENIX Internet Measurement Conference (IMC), pp. 121-134, Oct. 2004
- Thomas Karagiannis, Andre Broido, Nevil Brownlee, Kimberly C. Claffy, and Michalis Faloutsos, Is P2P dying or just hiding?, in IEEE Globecom 2004 - Global Internet and Next Generation Networks, 2004
- Thomas Karagiannis, Mart Molle, Michalis Faloutsos, and Andre Broido, A Nonstationary Poisson View of Internet Traffic, in IEEE INFOCOM, 2004
Complete list of pulications here.
+44 1223 479743
21 Station road
Cambridge, CB1 2FB, UK