Thomas Karagiannis is a researcher with the systems and networking group at Microsoft Research, Cambridge, UK. His research interests include datacenter networks, Internet measurements and monitoring, social networks, and peer-to-peer networks. He received his Ph.D at the Computer Science department of the University of California, Riverside.
Thomas spent the summer of 2003 at CAIDA developing methodologies to identify and measure peer-to-peer file-sharing traffic at the Internet core. From July 2004 to May 2005 and from October 2005 to April 2006, he was an intern at Intel Research in Cambridge, UK working with Dina Papagiannaki on Internet traffic classification, P2P networks and anomaly detection. He received his B.S. at the department of Applied Informatics of the University of Macedonia in Thessaloniki, Greece.
- PC chair: ACM SIGCOMM WOSN 2008, Workshop on Online Social Networks 2007.
- TPC member: ACM SIGCOMM 2009, ACM SIGCOMM WOSN 2009, ACM SIGCOMM/USENIX IMC 2008, 2010, 2011, IEEE INFOCOM 2008-2012, PAM 2009, 2010, 2012.
- Steering committee: Workshop on Online Social Networks (WOSN 2008, 2009, 2010)
- Editor: Transactions on Networking
- Guest editor: IEEE Network Special Issue on Online Social Networks
- Eno Thereska, Hitesh Ballani, Greg O'Shea, Thomas Karagiannis, Ant Rowstron, Tom Talpey, and Timothy Zhu, IOFlow: A Software-Defined Storage Architecture, in SOSP'13: The 24th ACM Symposium on Operating Systems Principles, ACM, November 2013 (to appear)
- Thanasis Petsas, Antonis Papadogiannakis, Michalis Polychronakis, Evangelos P. Markatos, and Thomas Karagiannis, Rise of the Planet of the Apps: A Systematic Study of the Mobile App Ecosystem, Internet Measurement Conference (IMC), October 2013 (to appear)
- Hitesh Ballani, Keon Jang, Thomas Karagiannis, Changhoon Kim, Dinan Gunawardena, and Greg O'Shea, Chatty tenants and the cloud network sharing problem, in USENIX Symposium on Networked Systems Design and Implementation, NSDI, April 2013
- Virajith Jalaparti, Hitesh Ballani, Paolo Costa, Thomas Karagiannis, and Ant Rowstron, Bridging the Tenant-Provider Gap in Cloud Services , ACM Symposium on Cloud Computing, October 2012
- Hitesh Ballani, Paolo Costa, Thomas Karagiannis, and Ant Rowstron, The Price Is Right: Towards Location-Independent Costs in Datacenters, ACM HotNets, November 2011
- Dinan Gunawardena, Thomas Karagiannis, Alexandre Proutiere, Elizeu Santos-Neto, and Milan Vojnovic, Scoop: Decentralized and Opportunistic Multicasting of Information Streams, in ACM Mobicom, September 2011
Hitesh Ballani, Paolo Costa, Thomas Karagiannis, and Ant Rowstron, Towards Predictable Datacenter Networks, in ACM SIGCOMM, August 2011
- Christopher Wilson, Hitesh Ballani, Thomas Karagiannis, and Ant Rowstron, Better Never than Late: Meeting Deadlines in Datacenter Networks, in ACM SIGCOMM, August 2011 (SIGCOMM honorable mention award)
Presentation slides [pdf]
- Demetris Antoniades, Iasonas Polakis, Georgios Kontaxis, Elias Athanasopoulos, Sotiris Ioannidis, Evangelos P. Markatos, and Thomas Karagiannis, we.b: The web of short URLs, in 20th International World Wide Web Conference (WWW 2011), March 2011.
- Thomas Karagiannis, Christos Gkantsidis, Dushyanth Narayanan, and Antony Rowstron, Hermes: Clustering Users in Large-Scale E-mail Services, in ACM Symposium on Cloud Computing 2010 (ACM SOCC 2010), 10 June 2010.
- Marshini Chetty, Richard Banks, Richard Harper, Tim Regan, Abigail Sellen, Christos Gkantsidis, Thomas Karagiannis, and Peter Key, Who's Hogging the Bandwidth?: The Consequences Of Revealing The Invisible In the Home, in ACM CHI 2010, April 2010.
- Christos Gkantsidis, Thomas Karagiannis, Peter Key, Bozidar Radunovic, Elias Raftopoulos, D. Manjunath, Traffic management and resource allocation in small wired/wireless networks, in the Fifth ACM International Conference on emerging Networking EXperiments and Technologies (CoNEXT 2009).
- Dinan Gunawardena, Thomas Karagiannis, Alexandre Proutiere, Milan Vojnovic, Characterizing Podcast Services: Publishing, Usage, and Dissemination, in Internet Measurement Conference (IMC), Nov. 2009.
- Thomas Karagiannis, Milan Vojnovic, Behavioral Profiles for Advanced Email Features, in 18th International World Wide Web Conference (WWW 2009), Apr. 2009
WWW presentation [pdf]
- Thomas Karagiannis, Richard Mortier, and Antony I. T. Rowstron, Network exception handlers: Host-network control in enterprise networks, in ACM SIGCOMM, pp. 123-134, 2008
- Milan Vojnović, Varun Gupta, Thomas Karagiannis, and Christos Gkantsidis, Sampling Strategies for Epidemic-Style Information Dissemination, in IEEE INFOCOM, Apr. 2008
- Thomas Karagiannis, Jean-Yves Le Boudec, Milan Vojnovic, Power-Law and Exponential Decay of Inter-Contact Times Between Mobile Devices, in Proc. of ACM Mobicom, 2007
- C. Gkantsidis, T. Karagiannis, P. Rodriguez, and M. Vojnovic, Planet Scale Software Updates, in ACM SIGCOMM, Sep. 2006
- T. Karagiannis, P. Rodriguez, and D. Papagiannaki, Should Internet Service Providers Fear Peer-Assisted Content Distribution?, in ACM/USENIX Internet Measurement Conference (IMC), Oct. 2005
Presentation at NANOG, October 2005 [pdf]
- Thomas Karagiannis, Konstantina Papagiannaki, and Michalis Faloutsos, BLINC: multilevel traffic classification in the dark, in ACM SIGCOMM, pp. 229-240, Aug. 2005
Presentation at NANOG, October 2005 [pdf]
- Thomas Karagiannis, Andre Broido, Michalis Faloutsos, and Kimberly C. Claffy, Transport layer identification of P2P traffic, in ACM/USENIX Internet Measurement Conference (IMC), pp. 121-134, Oct. 2004
- Thomas Karagiannis, Andre Broido, Nevil Brownlee, Kimberly C. Claffy, and Michalis Faloutsos, Is P2P dying or just hiding?, in IEEE Globecom 2004 - Global Internet and Next Generation Networks, 2004
- Thomas Karagiannis, Mart Molle, Michalis Faloutsos, and Andre Broido, A Nonstationary Poisson View of Internet Traffic, in IEEE INFOCOM, 2004
Complete list of pulications here.