I am a researcher in the Data Management, Exploration and Mining Group at Microsoft Research. My research interests lie in large-scale data management, touching upon diverse areas: Web search, information retrieval, data mining, databases and natural language processing. I enjoy building novel information systems, as well as identifying and solving real world research problems that emerge in the process.
I received my Ph.D. degree in 2010 from the Department of Computer Science at University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign. My Ph.D. thesis focuses on the interesting problem of Entity Search. My B.S. degree is from the Mixed Class, Chu Konchen Honors College, Zhejiang University.
- Xiang Ren and Tao Cheng, Synonym Discovery for Structured Entities on Heterogeneous Graphs, Industrial Track, WWW Conference 2015, May 2015.
- Bilyana Taneva, Tao Cheng, Kaushik Chakrabarti, and Yeye He, Mining Acronym Expansions and Their Meanings Using Query Click Log, WWW Conference 2013, May 2013.
- Tao Cheng, Kaushik Chakrabarti, Surajit Chaudhuri, Vivek Narasayya, and Manoj Syamala, Data Services for E-tailers Leveraging Web Search Engine Assets, in ICDE Conference, April 2013.
- Tao Cheng, Hady Lauw, and Stelios Paparizos, Entity Synonyms for Structured Web Search, in Transactions on Knowledge and Data Engineering (TKDE), vol. 24, no. 10, pp. 1862-1875 , IEEE, October 2012.
- Chi Wang, Kaushik Chakrabarti, Tao Cheng, and Surajit Chaudhuri, Targeted Disambiguation of Ad-hoc, Homogeneous Sets of Named Entities, in World Wide Web Conference, 2012.
- Kaushik Chakrabarti, Surajit Chaudhuri, Tao Cheng, and Dong Xin, A Framework for Robust Discovery of Entity Synonyms, in SIGKDD, 2012.
- Kaushik Chakrabarti, Surajit Chaudhuri, Tao Cheng, and Dong Xin, Automatically Tagging Entities with Descriptive Phrases, in WWW (Poster paper), 2011.
- Tao Cheng, Hady Lauw, and Stelios Paparizos, Fuzzy Matching of Web Queries to Structured Data, in Proc. ICDE Conf, March 2010.
- Tao Cheng and Kevin Chang, Beyond Pages: Supporting Efficient, Scalable Entity Search with Dual-Inversion Index, in EDBT, Association for Computing Machinery, Inc., March 2010.
- Mianwei Zhou, Tao Cheng, and Kevin Chang, Data-oriented Content Query System: Searching for Data in Text on the Web, in WSDM, Association for Computing Machinery, Inc., February 2010.
- Tao Cheng, Xifeng Yan, and Kevin Chang, EntityRank: Searching Entities Directly and Holistically, in VLDB, Association for Computing Machinery, Inc., September 2007.
- Tao Cheng, Xifeng Yan, and Kevin Chang, Supporting Entity Search: a Large-scale Prototype Search Engine, in SIGMOD, Association for Computing Machinery, Inc., June 2007.
- Tao Cheng and Kevin Chang, Entity Search Engine: Towards Large Scale Information Integration on the Web, in CIDR, Association for Computing Machinery, Inc., January 2007.
- Theodore Dalamagas, Tao Cheng, Klaas-Jan Winkel, and Timos Sellis, A Methodology for Clustering XML Documents by Structure, in Information Systems, Elsevier, 2006.
Email: taocheng [at] microsoft [.] com
Office Phone: 425-705-1017