I am a Researcher in the Data Management, Exploration, and Mining (DMX) group at Microsoft Research (MSR). I am part of the eXtreme Computing Group (XCG), one of MSR's worldwide labs. I completed my PhD from the Department of Computer Science, University of California Santa Barbara (UCSB) in Fall 2011. I had the pleasure to be advised by Professors Divy Agrawal and Amr El Abbadi during the course of my PhD as a member of the Distributed Systems Lab.
I am originally from the "City of Joy" Kolkata in India. My undergraduate study was in Jadavpur University, Kolkata. I completed my Bachelor of Engineering from the Department of Computer Science and Engineering in 2006.
My broader research interests span the horizon of scalable database management systems. My current research focusses on performance isolation in multi-tenant relational database-as-a-service and in scale-out transaction processing systems leveraging modern hardware paradigms.
My thesis research focused on developing scalable, elastic, and autonomic transaction processing systems to support cloud application platforms. I have worked on projects to design large scale analytics platforms for multi-dimensional data to support location based services and to allow deep statistical analysis over large amounts of data. I have also worked on data management systems leveraging modern hardware paradigms such as flash memory or content addressable memory. In the past, I have also worked on data stream processing systems and wireless networks.
- 2013 ACM SIGMOD Jim Gray Dissertation Award. [Award Citation] [SIGMOD News] [UCSB CS News]
- 2012 Lancaster Dissertation Award in Mathematics, Physical Sciences, & Engineering by the UCSB Graduate Division [UCSB CS News]
- 2012 Outstanding Dissertation Award in CS at UCSB [UCSB CS News]
- Best Paper Award at the 5th Biennial Conference on Innovative Data Systems Research (CIDR) 2011 [UCSB CS News]
- Best Runner-up paper Award at the 12th IEEE International Conference on Mobile Data Management (MDM) 2011
- 2011 Outstanding Student Award in CS at UCSB [UCSB CS News]
- UCSB CS Outstanding Teaching Assistant Award for Fall 2008
- 2006 TCS-JU Best Undergraduate Student Award
One Microsoft Way
Redmond, WA 98052-6399
Phone: (425) 705-7819
Fax: (425) 936-7329
- Serving on the Program Committee of SIGMOD 2014.
- Our paper on CPU sharing in Multi-tenant Relational Database-as-a-Service (part of the SQLVM Project), got accepted to VLDB 2014/PVLDB Vol 7.
- Instructor for the VLDB Summer School 2013 in Shanghai, China, held at East China Normal University.
- My dissertation won the ACM SIGMOD Jim Gray Doctoral Dissertation Award. [Award Citation] [SIGMOD News] [UCSB CS News]
- Serving on the Program committee for VLDB 2014/Editorial board of PVLDB Vol. 7.
- Serving on the Program committee of DBSocial 2013, Middleware 2013, and the poster track of CIKM 2013.
- Our paper entitled "Characterizing Tenant Behavior for Placement and Crisis Mitigation in Multitenant DBMSs" accepted for SIGMOD 2013.
- Our tutorial entitled "Rethinking Eventual Consistency" will be presented at SIGMOD 2013.
- Our demo for SQLVM accepted to be presented at SIGMOD 2013.
- Our book, co-authored with my advisors, Prof. Divy Agrawal and Prof. Amr El Abbadi, entitled "Data Management in the Cloud: Challenges and Opportunities" published in the Synthesis Lectures on Data Management.
- Our paper entitled "ElasTraS: An Elastic, Scalable, and Self Managing Transactional Database for the Cloud" accepted for publication in the ACM Trans. on Database Systems.
- Our paper entitled "SQLVM: Performance Isolation in Multi-Tenant Relational Database-as-a-Service" will be presented at CIDR 2013.
- Serving on the Program Committee of SIGMOD 2013.
- Serving on the Program Committees of ICDE 2013, CIKM 2012, and COMAD 2012.
- My dissertation, entitled "Scalable and Elastic Transactional Data Stores for Cloud Computing Platforms," was awarded the 2012 Lancaster Dissertation Award in Mathematics, Physical Sciences, & Engineering by the UCSB Graduate Division. My dissertation was also awarded the 2012 Outstanding Dissertation Award by the Computer Science Department at UCSB.