I joined the Sensors and Devices group at Microsoft Research Cambridge in September 2011 as a Research Software Development Engineer (RSDE). I previously worked in the Socio-Digital System group for five years and prior to that, spent 6 months working in the Cambridge Innovation Development group.
I graduated in 1989 with a BEng in Electrical and Electronic Engineering from Hatfield Polytechnic (now the University of Hertfordshire) and subsequently studied at Birkbeck College, University of London, completing an MSc in Computing Science in 1995.
- Stuart Taylor, Cem Keskin, Otmar Hilliges, Shahram Izadi, and John Helmes, Type–Hover–Swipe in 96 Bytes: A Motion Sensing Mechanical Keyboard, ACM CHI Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems 2014 (Best Paper Award), April 2014.
- Mathieu Le Goc, Stuart Taylor, Shahram Izadi, and Cem Keskin, A Low-cost Transparent Electric Field Sensor for 3D Interaction on Mobile Devices, ACM CHI Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems 2014 (Best Paper Honourable Mention Award), April 2014.
- Artem Dementyev, Steve Hodges, Stuart Taylor, and Josh Smith, Power Consumption Analysis of Bluetooth Low Energy, ZigBee, and ANT Sensor Nodes in a Cyclic Sleep Scenario, in Proceedings of IEEE International Wireless Symposium (IWS), IEEE, April 2013.
- Steve Hodges, Stuart Taylor, Nicolas Villar, James Scott, and John Helmes, Exploring Physical Prototyping Techniques for Functional Devices using .NET Gadgeteer, in Proceedings of TEI 2013, ACM, February 2013.
- Steve Hodges, Stuart Taylor, Nicolas Villar, James Scott, Dominik Bial, and Patrick Tobias Fischer, Prototyping Connected Devices for the Internet of Things, in IEEE Computer, IEEE Computer Society, February 2013.
- Helena M. Mentis, Siân E. Lindley, Stuart Taylor, Paul Dunphy, Tim Regan, and Richard Harper, Taking as an Act of Sharing, in Proceedings of the 2012 ACM conference on Computer Supported Cooperative Work, ACM, February 2012.
- David Kirk, Shahram Izadi, Abigail Sellen, Richard Banks, Otmar Hilliges, and Stuart Taylor, At home with surface computing, in Proceedings of CHI 2012, ACM, 2012.
- Jonathan Hook, David Green, John McCarthy, Stuart Taylor, Peter Wright, and Patrick Olivier, A VJ Centered Exploration of Expressive Interaction, ACM Conference on Computer-Human Interaction, 9 May 2011.
- Stuart Taylor and Jonathan Hook, FerroSynth: A Ferromagnetic Music Interface, in Proceeding of NIME 2010, Microsoft Research, 15 June 2010.
- Dave Kirk, Shahram Izadi, Abigail Sellen, Stuart Taylor, Richard Banks, and Otmar Hilliges, Opening Up the Family Archive, in Proceedings of ACM Conference on Computer Supported Collaborative Work (CSCW 2010), Association for Computing Machinery, Inc., February 2010.
- Jonathan Hook, Stuart Taylor, Alex Butler, Nicolas Villar, and Shahram Izadi, A Reconfigurable Ferromagnetic Input Device, in Proceeding of UIST 2009, Association for Computing Machinery, Inc., 4 October 2009.
- Richard Harper and Stuart Taylor, Glancephone – an exploration of human expression, in Processdings of MobileHCI 2009, Association for Computing Machinery, Inc., 15 September 2009.
- David Kirk, Abigail Sellen, Stuart Taylor, Nicolas Villar, and Shahram Izadi, Putting the Physical into the Digital:Issues in Designing Hybrid Interactive Surfaces, in In Proceedings of BCS HCI 2009, Cambridge University Press, 1 September 2009.
- Stuart Taylor, Shahram Izadi, David Kirk, Richard Harper, and Armando Garcia-Mendoza, Turning the Tables: An Interactive Surface for VJing, in Proceeding of CHI 2009, Association for Computing Machinery, Inc., 8 April 2009.
- Stuart Taylor, Txt-it Notes: Paper Based Text Messaging, no. MSR-TR-2008-172, November 2008.
- Shahram Izadi, Steve Hodges, Stuart Taylor, Dan Rosenfeld, Nicolas Villar, Alex Butler, and Jonathan Westhues, Going Beyond the Display: A Surface Technology with an Electronically Switchable Diffuser, in ACM Symposium on User Interface Software and Technology (UIST '08), Association for Computing Machinery, Inc., 19 October 2008.
- Abigail Durrant, Alex Taylor, Stuart Taylor, Mike Molloy, Abigail Sellen, David Frohlich, Phil Gosset, and Laurel Swan, Speculative Devices for Photo Display, in CHI '08 extended abstracts on Human factors in computing systems , Association for Computing Machinery, Inc., 4 April 2008.
- Stuart Taylor, Shahram Izadi, Kursat Ozenc, and Richard Harper, VideoPlay: Playful and Social Editing of Video using Tangible Objects and Multi-touch Interaction, in IEEE International Workshop on Horizontal Interactive Human-Computer Systems (TABLETOP '07), IEEE, 10 October 2007.
- William M. Newman, Alex S. Taylor, Christopher R. Dance, and Stuart A. Taylor, Performance Targets, Models and Innovation in Interactive System Design, in DIS '00, New York City, NY, 2000.
- Stuart Taylor, Chris Dance, William Newman, Alex Taylor, Mauritius Seeger, Michael Taylor, and Tony Aldhous, Advances in Interactive Video Scanning of Paper Documents, in Proc. IEE Document Image Processing & Multimedia Colloquium (DIPM99), Institution of Electrical Engineers , 25 March 1999.
- William M. Newman, Christopher R. Dance, Alex S. Taylor, Stuart A. Taylor, Michael Taylor, and Tony Aldhous, CamWorks: A Video-Based Tool for Efficient Capture from Paper Source Documents, in Proceedings of IEEE International Conference on Multimedia and Computing Systems ’99 (ICMCS99), Florence, Italy, 1999.
- Stuart Taylor, CCD and CMOS Imaging Array Technologies: Technology Review, 10 May 1998.
Over the years, I've worked for a broad range of companies and have built up a wide range of experience. I've developed for a variety of platforms, both at the application and driver level and have also undertaken a number of embedded projects.
Some of the companies that I've worked for include:
- Xerox Research Centre Europe
- PageCam Inc.
- Newnham Research Limited
- The Warp Corporation
- Xenia Technology
- Royal National Institute for Deaf People (RNID)
The following is a selected list of patents that I have co-authored:
- 6512539 - Document Periscope
- 6640010 - Word-to-word selection on images
- 6766069 - Text selection from images of documents using auto-completion
- 6922487 - Method and apparatus for capturing text images
- 6943904 - Method and apparatus for image capture, selection and copying
- 6947609 - System with motion triggered processing
- 6975352 - Apparatus and method for capturing a composite digital image with regions of varied focus and magnification
- 7123292 - Mosaicing images with an offset lens
- 7346841 - Method and apparatus for collaborative annotation of a document
- 7532771 - Image Processing System for Digital Collage
- Tangible User Interfaces
- Paper Interfaces
- Interactive Surfaces
- Mobile Communication Devices
- Novel Uses of Technology
A Little Piece of History
Here's a print out of a screen shot and code listing of a Mandelbrot fractal program that I wrote on my Sinclair Spectrum back in the early 80's. It's interesting to note the unusual (and expensive) aluminized paper used by the Sinclair printer.
And here's the actual computer and printer.