Currently working on social and mobile analytics. Particularly interested in problems regarding spatiotemporal analysis of user behavior and how that affects interaction amongst social peers.
Overall interest in problems related to web mining, web-scale data management, keyword based retrieval from databases and database ranking. Also, big data analytics, how to support learning and mining methods on a distributed data store and general distributed query optimization problems for big data processing.
Stelios Paparizos works as a Researcher for Search Labs at Microsoft Research. He got his Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) degree from the University of Michigan working with Prof. H.V.Jagadish on XML query processing and optimization. His thesis work was a core piece of the Timber project, one of the first major systems offering native XML data management and query processing solutions. He also holds a master’s degree from Northeastern University in Boston and bachelor's from the University of Macedonia in Thessaloniki, Greece. After joining Microsoft in 2006 he worked on structured data ranking, web-log mining and semantic query analysis. His work found its way in various components of the Bing search engine and also resulted in over 25 patent filings and a few key publications. More recently, his research focus is on social and mobile analytics, including personalized mining of social interactions.
- Moises Goldszmidt, Marc Najork, and Stelios Paparizos, Boot-strapping Language Identifiers for Short Colloquial Postings, in Proc. of the European Conference on Machine Learning and Principles and Practice of Knowledge Discovery in Databases (ECMLPKDD 2013), Springer Verlag, September 2013
- Stelios Paparizos, Entwining Structure into Web Search, in DBRank '13, ACM, August 2013
- Arnab Nandi, Stelios Paparizos, John Shafer, and Rakesh Agrawal, With a Little Help from My Friends, in Proc. 29th International Conference on Data Engineering (ICDE), IEEE, April 2013
- Tao Cheng, Hady Lauw, and Stelios Paparizos, Entity Synonyms for Structured Web Search, in Transactions on Knowledge and Data Engineering (TKDE), vol. 24, no. 10, pp. 1862-1875 , IEEE, October 2012
- Sreenivas Gollapudi, Samuel Ieong, Alexandros Ntoulas, and Stelios Paparizos, Efficient Query Rewrite for Structured Web Queries, in ACM Conference on Information and Knowledge Management (CIKM), ACM, October 2011
- Jeffrey Pound, Stelios Paparizos, and Panayiotis Tsaparas, Facet Discovery for Structured Web Search: A Query-log Mining Approach, in Proc. SIGMOD Conf., June 2011
- Hoa Nguyen, Ariel Fuxman, Stelios Paparizos, Juliana Freire, and Rakesh Agrawal, Synthesizing Products from Online Catalogs, in PVLDB, vol. 4, no. 7, pp. 409-418, April 2011
- Nikos Sarkas, Stelios Paparizos, and Panayiotis Tsaparas, Structured Annotations of Web Queries, in Proc. SIGMOD Conf., June 2010
- Tao Cheng, Hady Lauw, and Stelios Paparizos, Fuzzy Matching of Web Queries to Structured Data, in Proc. ICDE Conf, March 2010
- Stelios Paparizos, Alexandros Ntoulas, John Shafer, and Rakesh Agrawal, Answering web queries using structured data sources, in Proc. SIGMOD Conf., June 2009
- Yuqing Wu, Stelios Paparizos, and H. V. Jagadish, Querying XML in TIMBER, in IEEE Data Engineering Bulletin, vol. 31, no. 4, pp. 15-24, 2008
- Stelios Paparizos, Jignesh M. Patel, and H. V. Jagadish, SIGOPT: Using Schema to Optimize XML Query Processing, in Proc. ICDE Conf., September 2007
- Stelios Paparizos and H. V. Jagadish, The Importance of Algebra for XML Query Processing, in Lecture Notes in Computer Science, vol. 4254, pp. 126-135, 2006
- Stelios Paparizos and H. V. Jagadish, Pattern tree algebras: sets or sequences?, in Proc. VLDB Conf., August 2005
- Stelios Paparizos, Yuqing Wu, Laks V. S. Lakshmanan, and H. V. Jagadish, Tree Logical Classes for Efficient Evaluation of XQuery, in Proc. SIGMOD Conf., June 2004
- Zhimin Chen, H. V. Jagadish, Laks V. S. Lakshmanan, and Stelios Paparizos, From Tree Patterns to Generalized Tree Patterns: On Efficient Evaluation of XQuery, in Proc. VLDB Conf., September 2003
- Roger Barga, David Lomet, Stelios Paparizos, Haifeng Yu, and Sirish Chandrasekaran, Persistent Applications via Automatic Recovery, in IDEAS Conference, IEEE Computer Society, Hong Kong, July 2003
- Stelios Paparizos, Shurug Al-Khalifa, Adriane Chapman, H. V. Jagadish, Laks V. S. Lakshmanan, Andrew Nierman, Jignesh M. Patel, Divesh Srivastava, Nuwee Wiwatwattana, Yuqing Wu, and Cong Yu, Timber: A native system for quering XML, in Proc. SIGMOD Conf., June 2003
- Stelios Paparizos, Shurug Al-Khalifa, H. V. Jagadish, Andrew Nierman, and Yuqing Wu, A Physical Algebra for XML, 2002
- Stelios Paparizos, Shurug Al-Khalifa, H. V. Jagadish, Laks V. S. Lakshmanan, Andrew Nierman, Divesh Srivastava, and Yuqing Wu, Grouping in XML, in Lecture Notes in Computer Science, vol. 2490, pp. 128-147, 2002
- H. V. Jagadish, Shurug Al-Khalifa, Adriane Chapman, Laks V. S. Lakshmanan, Andrew Nierman, Stelios Paparizos, Jignesh M. Patel, Divesh Srivastava, Nuwee Wiwatwattana, Yuqing Wu, and Cong Yu, Timber: A Native XML Database, in VLDB Journal, vol. 11, no. 4, 2002
1065 La Avenida
Mountain View, CA 94043, USA
Our servers use aggressive spamming filters that occasionally drop valid emails. If you think this is the case with your message, please call my office number above and leave a voicemail.
For anything non-work related please visit this page and use my private email address.