DIRECTOR OF HEALTH & WELLBEING
Microsoft External Research
I have a background in Zoology and worked as Director of Software Engineering at Gene Codes Corporation before moving to Microsoft Research in 2005. In my current role as Director of Health and Wellbeing, I manage a range of collaborations between Microsoft and academia in the area of healthcare research.
For more information, see Health and Wellbeing.
My interests include bioinformatics, synthetic biology, translational medicine and the management of scientific data.
- Kathryn Zyskowski, Meredith Ringel Morris, Jeffrey P. Bigham, Mary L. Gray, and Shaun Kane, Accessible Crowdwork? Understanding the Value in and Challenge of Microtask Employment for People with Disabilities, ACM – Association for Computing Machinery, March 2015
- Mohammed Shoaib, Jie Liu, and Matthai Phillipose, Energy Scaling in Multi-tiered Sensing Systems Through Compressive Sensing, IEEE – Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers, 14 September 2014
- Christoph Lippert, Jing Xiang, Danilo Horta, Christian Widmer, Carl Kadie, David Heckerman, and Jennifer Listgarten, Greater power and computational efficiency for kernel-based association testing of sets of genetic variants, in Bioinformatics, pp. btu504, Oxford University Press, September 2014
- Nicolo Fusi, Christoph Lippert, Neil D Lawrence, and Oliver Stegle, Warped linear mixed models for the genetic analysis of transformed phenotypes, in Nature communications, vol. 5, Nature Publishing Group, September 2014
- Jennifer Musto and danah boyd, The Trafficking-Technology Nexus, in Social Politics, Oxford University Press, 26 August 2014
- Matthew J. Smith, Stephen Emmott, Drew W. Purves, Lucas N. Joppa, and Vassily Lyutsarev, Joined-up Planetary Information, in the Cloud and on Devices, 15 December 2014
- Silvia Caldararu, Drew W. Purves, and Matthew J. Smith, Functional and Structural Optimality in Plant Growth: A Crop Modelling Case Study, 15 December 2014
- Oleksandra Hararuk and Matthew J. Smith, Importance of modelling microbial dynamics in soil: evaluation of conventional and microbial soil models informed by observations across various plant functional types, 15 December 2014
- Katherine E Todd-Brown, Yiqi Luo, James Tremper Randerson, Stephen D. Allison, and Matthew J. Smith, Understanding the Dynamics of Soil Carbon in CMIP5 Models, 15 December 2014
- Tom Crick, Benjamin A. Hall, Samin Ishtiaq, and Kenji Takeda, “Share and Enjoy”: Publishing Useful and Usable Scientific Models, in Recomputability 2014, December 2014