DIRECTOR OF HEALTH & WELLBEING
Microsoft External Research
I have a background in Zoology and worked as Director of Software Engineering at Gene Codes Corporation before moving to Microsoft Research in 2005. In my current role as Director of Health and Wellbeing, I manage a range of collaborations between Microsoft and academia in the area of healthcare research.
For more information, see Health and Wellbeing.
My interests include bioinformatics, synthetic biology, translational medicine and the management of scientific data.
- Munmun De Choudhury, Scott Counts, Eric Horvitz, and Michael Gamon, Predicting Depression via Social Media., AAAI, July 2013
- Munmun de Choudhury, Michael Gamon, Aaron Hoff, and Asta Roseway, "Moon Phrases": A Social Media Facilitated Tool for Emotional Reflection and Wellness., European Alliance for Innovation, May 2013
- Ted McCarthy, Joyojeet Pal, and Edward Cutrell, The “voice” has it: screen reader adoption and switching behavior among vision impaired persons in India, in Assistive Technology: The Official Journal of RESNA, Taylor & Francis, 27 February 2013
- Aisling Ann O’Kane, Helena M. Mentis, and Eno Thereska, Non-Static Nature of Patient Consent: Shifting Privacy Perspectives in Health Information Sharing, in CSCW 2013, ACM Conference on Computer Supported Cooperative Work, 23 February 2013
- Yan Xu, Yining Wang, Tianren Liu, Junichi Tsujii, and Eric I-Chao Chang, An end-to-end system to identify temporal relation in discharge summaries: 2012 i2b2 challenge, in Journal of American Medical Informatics Association, BMJ Group, February 2013
- Zhipeng Gui, Chaowei Yang, Jizhe Xia, Jing Li, Abdelmounaam Rezgui, Min Sun, Yan Xu, and Daniel Fay, A visualization-enhanced graphical user interface for geospatial resource discovery, in Annals of GIS, vol. 0, no. 0, pp. 1-13, Taylor & Francis, 23 April 2013
- Cory Merow, John A. Silander, and Matthew J. Smith, A practical guide to MaxEnt for modeling species' distributions: what it does, and why inputs and settings matter, in Ecography, Wiley, April 2013
- Maurizio Sajeva, Claudio Augugliaro, Matthew Smith, and Elisabetta Oddo, Regulating Internet Trade in CITES Species, in Conservation Biology, Wiley, 8 February 2013
- Mindy M. Syfert, Matthew J. Smith, and David A. Coomes, The effects of sampling bias and model complexity on the predictive performance of MaxEnt species distribution models , in PLOS One, vol. 8, no. 2, PLoS, February 2013
- M. J. Smith, D. W. Purves, M. C. Vanderwel, V. Lyutsarev, and S. Emmott, The climate dependence of the terrestrial carbon cycle, including parameter and structural uncertainties, in Biogeosciences, vol. 10, pp. 583-606, European Geosciences Union, 29 January 2013