Alex Slivkins’s research interests are in algorithms and theoretical computer science, spanning machine learning theory, social network analysis, and algorithmic economics. He has also worked on metric embeddings and algorithms for Internet and peer-to-peer networks. Across various domains, Alex is drawn to algorithmic problems with informational constraints. He is particularly interested in sequential decision-making and its applications to web search, mechanism design, and crowdsourcing markets. His work has received the best paper award at ACM EC 2010 and the best student paper award at ACM PODC 2005.
Before joining MSR New York in 2013, Alex Slivkins was a member of MSR Silicon Valley since 2007. Alex received his Ph.D. in Computer Science from Cornell University in 2006, under the supervision of Jon Kleinberg. In 2006-2007 he was a postdoc at Brown University with Eli Upfal. His undergraduate degree is B.S. Mathematics (with distinction) from Caltech.
Projects / groups at MSR
- Recent program committees: NIPS 2014 (area chair), COLT 2014, ACM EC 2014.
- Workshops co-organized:
SCUGC 2015: 5th Workshop on Social Computing and User Generated Content at ACM EC 2015.
NYCE Day 2014: 7th annual New York Computer Science and Economics Day
SCUGC 2014: 4th Workshop on Social Computing and User Generated Content at ACM EC 2014.
- Online Decision Making in Crowdsourcing Markets: Theoretical Challenges [position paper & survey]
Aleksandrs Slivkins and Jennifer Wortman Vaughan
SIGecom Exchanges, Dec 2013.
- Bandits with Knapsacks (Rev. Oct'14)
Ashwinkumar Badanidiyuru, Robert Kleinberg and Aleksandrs Slivkins.
FOCS 2013: IEEE Symp. on Foundations of Computer Science.
- Low-distortion Inference of Latent Similarities from a Multiplex Social Network (Rev. Aug'14)
Ittai Abraham, Shiri Chechik, David Kempe and Aleksandrs Slivkins.
SIAM J. on Computing, to appear.
SODA 2013: ACM-SIAM Symp. on Discrete Algorithms.
- Truthful Mechanisms with Implicit Payment Computation (Rev. Jul'14)
Moshe Babaioff, Robert Kleinberg and Aleksandrs Slivkins.
J. of the ACM, to appear (2014).
EC 2010: ACM Symp. on Electronic Commerce (Best paper award).
- Multi-armed Bandits in Metric Spaces (Rev. Dec'13)
Robert Kleinberg, Aleksandrs Slivkins and Eli Upfal.
STOC 2008: ACM Symp. on Theory of Computing.
- Meridian: A Lightweight Network Location Service without Virtual Coordinates (Rev. 2007)
Bernard Wong, Aleksandrs Slivkins and Emin G. Sirer.
ACM SIGCOMM 2005.
- Metric Embeddings with Relaxed Guarantees (Rev. 2008)
T-H.H. Chan, K. Dhamdhere, A. Gupta, J. Kleinberg and A. Slivkins.
SIAM J. on Computing, 38(6): 2303-2329, March 2009.
FOCS 2005: IEEE Symp. on Foundations of Computer Science.
- Triangulation and Embedding using Small Sets of Beacons (Rev. 2008)
Jon Kleinberg, Aleksandrs Slivkins and Tom Wexler.
J. of the ACM, 56(6), Sept 2009.
FOCS 2004: IEEE Symp. on Foundations of Computer Science.
- Ph.D. Thesis: Embedding, Distance Estimation and Object Location in Networks (2006).
Mail: Microsoft Research New York, 641 6th Ave, 7th floor, New York, NY 10011.
Email: [lastname] at microsoft dot com
Phone: (650) 693-1195
Fax: (650) 693-3329, "Attn: slivkins at (650) 693-1195"