My main research interest is in developing optimization and machine learning techniques suitable for solving high-level computer vision tasks, such as image classification and object recognition.
High-level computer vision tasks are a unique source of hard machine learning problems for three reasons. First, in contrast to physics-based processes we do not know the correct model (model uncertainty). Second, humans excel at all high-level vision tasks and therefore can provide data and assess model performance (ground truth oracle). Third, image and video data is available for free at an enormous scale (data availability). These properties make computer vision a particularly attractive area for machine learning research.
I am particularly interested in using mathematical optimization as a tool to solve computer vision machine learning tasks.
My personal homepage is here: http://www.nowozin.net/sebastian/
- Jan Stühmer, Sebastian Nowozin, Andrew Fitzgibbon, Richard Szeliski, Travis Perry, Sunil Acharya, Daniel Cremers, and Jamie Shotton, Model-Based Tracking at 300Hz using Raw Time-of-Flight Observations, in ICCV 2015 - International Conference on Computer Vision, IEEE – Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers, 1 October 2015.
- Kevin Schelten, Sebastian Nowozin, Jeremy Jancsary, Carsten Rother, and Stefan Roth, Interleaved Regression Tree Field Cascades for Blind Image Deconvolution, IEEE – Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers, 6 January 2015.
- Sebastian Nowozin, Peter V. Gehler, Jeremy Jancsary, and Christoph H. Lampert, Advanced Structured Prediction, MIT Press, 1 November 2014.
- Daniel Khashabi, Sebastian Nowozin, Jeremy Jancsary, and Andrew Fitzgibbon, Joint Demosaicing and Denoising via Learned Non-parametric Random Fields, in Transactions on Image Processing, IEEE – Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers, 1 October 2014.
- Sebastian Nowozin, Optimal Decisions from Probabilistic Models: the Intersection-over-Union Case, in Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition (CVPR 2014), IEEE Computer Society, 1 June 2014.
- Po-Ling Loh and Sebastian Nowozin, Faster Hoeffding Racing: Bernstein Races via Jackknife Estimates, in 24th International Conference on Algorithmic Learning Theory (ALT 2013), , 1 September 2013.
- Sebastian Nowozin, Constructing Composite Likelihoods in General Random Fields, in ICML 2013 Workshop on Inferning: Interactions between Inference and Learning, , 1 July 2013.
- Jeremy Jancsary, Sebastian Nowozin, and Carsten Rother, Learning Convex QP Relaxations for Structured Prediction, in 30th International Conference on Machine Learning (ICML), June 2013.
- Joerg Kappes, Bjoern Andres, Fred Hamprecht, Christoph Schnoerr, Sebastian Nowozin, Dhurv Batra, Sungwoong Kim, Bernhard Kausler, Jan Lellmann, Nikos Komodakis, and Carsten Rother, A Comparative Study of Modern Inference Techniques for Discrete Energy Minimization Problems, in CVPR, June 2013.
- Uwe Schmidt, Carsten Rother, Sebastian Nowozin, Jeremy Jancsary, and Stefan Roth, Discriminative Non-blind Deblurring, in 2013 Conference on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition (CVPR 2013), IEEE Computer Society, 20 April 2013.