1 Microsoft Way, Redmond, WA 98052
Sean Ryan Fanello was born in Cinquefrondi (RC), Italy in 1987. He completed his Bachelor's Degree in Computer Engineering with the score of 110/110 cum laude at Sapienza, University of Rome, in September 2008. In 2010 he graduated (cum laude) in Computer Engineering with a specialisation in Artificial Intelligence. From January 2011 to December 2013 he carried out PhD studies on Robotics, Cognition and Interaction Technologies at Italian Institute of Technology. He was in charge of developing theory, algorithms and applications for the visual perception system of the iCub humanoid robot. In particular he worked on image representations for object and action recognition, motion perception, 3D estimation and eye-hand calibration.
From July 2013 to November 2013 he was a Research Intern at Microsoft Research in Cambridge, UK. From February 2014 to June 2014 he worked as Research Consultant at Microsoft Research Cambridge.
For his previous work on Visual Recognition for Robotics see:
Click here for the complete publications list.
Very proud of my contributions to the HoloLens product that was recently announced. I am spending time embedded with the product group, working on many parts of the platform.
- Learning to be a depth camera for close-range human capture and interaction - S.R. Fanello, C. Keskin, S. Izadi, P. Kohli, D. Kim, D. Sweeney, A. Criminisi, J. Shotton, S.B. Kang, T. Paek. In ACM SIGGRAPH and Transation On Graphics 2014.
- Enhanced learning-based imaging with thin-film luminescent concentrators - A. Koppelhuber, S. Fanello, C. Birklbauer, D. Schedl, S. Izadi, O. Bimber. In Optics Express 2014.
- Keep It Simple And Sparse: Real-Time Action Recognition - S.R. Fanello, I. Gori, G. Metta, F. Odone. In JMLR 2013.
- 3D Stereo Estimation and Fully Automated Learning of Eye-Hand Coordination in Humanoid Robots - S.R. Fanello, U. Pattacini, I. Gori, V. Tikhanoff, M. Randazzo, A. Roncone, F. Odone, G. Metta. In IEEE-RAS ICHR 2014.
- FlexSense: A Transparent Self-Sensing Deformable Surface - C. Rendl, D. Kim, S. Fanello, P. Parzer, C. Rhemann, J. Taylor, M. Zirkl, G. Scheipl, M. Haller, S. Izadi. In ACM UIST 2014.
- In-air Gestures Around Unmodified Mobile Devices - J. Song, G. Sörös, F. Pece, S. Fanello, S. Izadi, C. Keskin, O. Hilliges. In ACM UIST 2014.
- Filter Forests for Learning Data-Dependent Convolutional Kernels - S.R. Fanello, C. Keskin, P. Kholi, S. Izadi, J. Shotton, A. Criminisi, U. Pattacini, T. Paek. In CVPR 2014.
- Ask the image: supervised pooling to preserve feature locality - S.R. Fanello, N. Noceti, C. Ciliberto, G. Metta, F. Odone. In CVPR 2014.
- RetroDepth: 3D Silhouette Sensing for High Precision Input On and Above Physical Surfaces - D. Kim, S. Izadi, J. Dostal, C. Rhemann, C. Keskin, C. Zach, J. Shotton, T. Large, S. Batiche, M. Nießner, A. Butler, S. Fanello, V. Pradeep. In SIGCHI 2014.