Dr. Steven M. Drucker has returned to Microsoft Research as a Principal Researcher in the vX Group.
From 2006-2009, he was a Principal Scientist in the LiveLabs Resarch Group at Microsoft and heads the Information Experiences Group. He is working on user interaction and information visualization for web based projects. He is also an affiliate professor at the University of Washington Computer Science and Engineering Department. During his tenure at the group he has published papers on web interaction patterns, exploratory search, information visualization, and machine learning, as well as filing 34 patents.
From 1999-2006, he was the lead researcher for the Microsoft Research for 6 years where he examined how the addition of user interaction transforms conventional media. Particular interests included database visualization for consumers or where art meets technology for user interfaces. While in the group, he demonstrated some of his projects on stage with Bill Gates at the Consumer Electronics Show (CES), was written up in the New York Times, filed 38 patents and published papers on technologies as diverse as remotely operated personal video recorders, spectator oriented gaming, and new visualization techniques for media databases.
From 1995-1999, he was the lead researcher in the Virtual Worlds Group also in Microsoft Research. During his time there he helped architect a platform for multi-user virtual environments, filed an additional 12 patents, and published papers in subjects ranging from architectures for multi-user, multimedia systems to online social interaction.
Before coming to Microsoft, he received his Ph.D. from the Computer Graphics and Animation Group at the MIT Media Lab in May 1994. His thesis research was on intelligent camera control interfaces for graphical environments. Dr. Drucker graduated Magna Cum Laude with Honors in Neurosciences from Brown University and went on to complete his masters at the Artificial Intelligence Laboratory at MIT doing research in robot learning.
His published papers have been in such areas as exploratory search, information visualization, multi-user environments, online social interaction, hypermedia research, human and robot perceptual capabilities, robot learning, parallel computer graphics, and human interfaces for camera control.
His email address is sdrucker (at) microsoft.com
- Meredith Ringel Morris, Andreea Danielescu, Steven Drucker, Danyel Fisher, Bongshin Lee, m.c. schraefel, and Jacob O. Wobbrock, Reducing Legacy Bias in Gesture Elicitation Studies, in ACM Interactions Magazine, ACM, May 2014
- Mike Barnett, Badrish Chandramouli, Robert DeLine, Steven Drucker, Danyel Fisher, Jonathan Goldstein, Patrick Morrison, and John Platt, Stat! - An Interactive Analytics Environment for Big Data, in ACM SIGMOD International Conference on Management of Data (SIGMOD 2013), ACM SIGMOD, June 2013
- Steven M. Drucker, Danyel Fisher, Ramik Sadana, Jessica Herron, and m.c. schraefel, TouchViz: A Case Study Comparing Two Interfaces for Data Analytics on Tablets, ACM Sig CHI 2013, 28 April 2013
- Brian Guenter, Mark Finch, Steven Drucker, Desney Tan, and John Snyder, Foveated 3D Graphics, ACM SIGGRAPH Asia, 20 November 2012
- Neel Joshi, Steven Drucker, Eric Stollnitz, Hugues Hoppe, Matt Uyttendaele, Michael Cohen, and Sisil Mehta, Cliplets: Juxtaposing Still and Dynamic Imagery, UIST, 7 October 2012
- Danyel Fisher, Steven M. Drucker, and A. Christian König, Exploratory Visualization Involving Incremental, Approximate Database Queries and Uncertainty, in IEEE Computer Graphics and Applications, IEEE, July 2012
- Danyel Fisher, Igor Popov, Steven M. Drucker, and mc schraefel, Trust Me, I'm Partially Right: Incremental Visualization Lets Analysts Explore Large Datasets Faster, in Proceedings of the 2012 Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems (CHI 2012), ACM Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems, 5 May 2012
- Danyel Fisher, Rob DeLine, Mary Czerwinski, and Steven Drucker, Interactions with Big Data Analytics, in ACM Interactions, ACM, May 2012
- Johannes Kopf, Wolf Kienzle, Steven Drucker, and Sing Bing Kang, Quality Prediction for Image Completion, in ACM Transactions on Graphics (Proceedings of SIGGRAPH Asia 2012), vol. 31, no. 6, 2012
- Steven M. Drucker, Danyel Fisher, and Sumit Basu, Helping Users Sort Faster with Adaptive Machine Learning Recommendations, in Proceedings of Interact 2011, Springer, September 2011
- Mohamed Ali, Badrish Chandramouli, Jonathan Fay, Curtis Wong, Steven Drucker, and Balan S. Raman, Online Visualization of Geospatial Stream Data using the WorldWide Telescope, in International Conference on Very Large Databases (VLDB), Very Large Data Bases Endowment Inc., August 2011
- Kayur Patel, Steven Drucker, Ashish Kapoor, and Desney Tan, Prospect: Using Multiple Models to Understand Data, in IJCAI 2011, ACM, July 2011
- Danyel Fisher, Steven Drucker, Roland Fernandez, and Xiaoji Chen, Vis-à-vis: A Visual Language for Spreadsheet Visualizations, no. MSR-TR-2011-142, June 2011
- Varun Jampani, Gonzalo Ramos, and Steven Drucker, ImageFlow: Streaming Image Search, no. MSR-TR-2010-148, 18 November 2010
- Danyel Fisher, Steven Drucker, Roland Fernandez, and Scott Ruble, Visualizations Everywhere: A Multiplatform Infrastructure for Linked Visualizations, in Transactions on Visualization and Computer Graphics, IEEE, Salt Lake City, UT, November 2010
- Sumit Basu, Danyel Fisher, Steven M. Drucker, and Hao Lu, Assisting Users with Clustering Tasks by Combining Metric Learning and Classification, in Proceedings of the Twenty-Fourth Conference on Artificial Intelligence (AAAI 2010), American Association for Artificial Intelligence , July 2010
- Gina Venolia, John Tang, Ruy Cervantes, Sara Bly, George Robertson, Bongshin Lee, Kori Inkpen, and Steven Drucker, Embodied Social Proxy: Connecting Hub-and-Satellite Teams, in Proceedings of CSCW 2010, Microsoft Research, February 2010
- Kayur Patel, Naomi Bancroft, Steven Drucker, James Fogarty, and James Landay, Gestalt: Integrated Support for Implementation and Analysis in Machine Learning, in Proceedings of the 23rd annual ACM symposium on User interface software and technology, ACM, New York, NY, 2010
- Jaime Teevan, Ed Cutrell, Danyel Fisher, Steven Drucker, Gonzalo Ramos, Paul Andre, and Chang Hu, Visual Snippets: Summarizing Web Pages for Search and Revisitation, Association for Computing Machinery, Inc., April 2009
- Yevgeniy Medynskiy, Mira Dontcheva, and Steven M. Drucker, Exploring websites through contextual facets, in Proceedings of the 27th international conference on Human factors in computing systems, ACM, Boston, MA, USA, 2009
- Michael Toomim, Steven M. Drucker, Mira Dontcheva, Ali Rahimi, Blake Thomson, and James A. Landay, Attaching UI enhancements to websites with end users, in Proceedings of the 27th international conference on Human factors in computing systems, ACM, Boston, MA, USA, 2009
- Qing Luan, Steven M. Drucker, Johannes Kopf, Ying Qing Xu, and Michael F. Cohen, Annotating gigapixel images, in Proceedings of the 21st annual ACM symposium on User interface software and technology, ACM, Monterey, CA, USA, 2008
- Lalatendu Satpathy, Saara Kamppari, Bridget Lewis, Ajay Prasad, Yong Woo Rhee, Benjamin Elgart, and Steven Drucker, Pixaura: supporting tentative decision making when selecting and sharing digital photos, in Proceedings of the 22nd British CHI Group Annual Conference on HCI 2008: People and Computers XXII: Culture, Creativity, Interaction - Volume 2, British Computer Society, Liverpool, United Kingdom, 2008
- Mira Dontcheva, Steven M. Drucker, David Salesin, and Michael F. Cohen, Changes in Webpage Structure over Time, no. TR2007-04-02, April 2007
- Gang Hua, Paul A. Viola, and Steven M. Drucker, Face Recognition using Discriminatively Trained Orthogonal Rank One Tensor Projections, in Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition, 2007. CVPR '07. IEEE Conference on, Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers, Inc., 2007