I am a postdoctoral researcher based within the Biological Computation group of the Computational Science Laboratory. Working with Stephen Emmott and Andrew Phillips, my research is focused on the theory of how and why cells perform computation.
I studied Mathematics at the University of Oxford, graduating with an MMath in 2007. During the summer of 2006 I completed a NERC internship at the British Antarctic Survey, working with Dr. Andrew Edwards on the foraging behaviour of the wandering albatross.
I began my DPhil. in 2007, also at Oxford, as a student of the Life Science Interface Doctoral Training Centre (DTC). The first year of my doctoral studies was spent completing an intensive training course coordinated by the DTC in the application of mathematical, physical, computational and engineering science techniques to the biomedical and life sciences. At the end of this year, I joined the Computational Biology group to begin my DPhil. research project, supervised by Prof. David Gavaghan, Prof. Helen Byrne, Prof. Jon Chapman and Dr. James Osborne. The focus of this project was the development of a computational model of the intestinal crypt, to facilitate investigation of the initial stages of carcinogenesis which precede colorectal cancer. I completed my DPhil. in December 2010, just prior to joining Microsoft Research.
- Sara-Jane Dunn, Inke S. Nathke, and James M. Osborne, Computational Models Reveal a Passive Mechanism for Cell Migration in the Crypt, in PLOS One, PLoS, 18 November 2013
- K. M. Young, K. Psachoulia, R. B. Tripathi, S-J. Dunn, L. Cossell, D. Attwell, K. Tohyama, and W. D. Richardson, Oligodendrocyte dynamics in the healthy adult CNS: evidence for myelin remodelling, in Neuron, 6 March 2013
- G. R. Mirams, C. J. Arthurs, M. O. Bernabeu, R. Bordas, J. Cooper, A. Corrias, Y. Davit, S-J. Dunn, A. G. Fletcher, D. G. Harvey, M. E. Marsh, J. M. Osborne, P. Pathmanathan, J. Pitt-Francis, J. Southern, N. Zemzemi, and D. J. Gavaghan, Chaste: An Open Source C++ Library for Computational Physiology and Biology, in PLOS Comput. Biol., PLoS Computational Biology (Public Library of Science Computational Biology), , 2013
- Sara-Jane Dunn, Paul L. Appleton, Scott A. Nelson, Inke S. Nathke, David J. Gavaghan, and James M. Osborne, A Two-Dimensional Model of the Colonic Crypt Accounting for the Role of the Basement Membrane and Pericryptal Fibroblast Sheath, in PLoS Computational Biology, 24 May 2012
- Sara-Jane Dunn, Alexander G. Fletcher, S. Jonathan Chapman, David J. Gavaghan, and James M. Osborne, Modelling the role of the basement membrane beneath a growing epithelial monolayer, in Journal of Theoretical Biology, Elsevier, December 2011
- Sara-Jane Dunn and Jonathan P. Whiteley, Modeling Alveolar Volume Changes During Periodic Breathing in Heterogeneously Ventilated Lungs, in Annals of Biomedical Engineering, September 2010