Sanjeev Mehrotra is a Principal Software Architect in the Cloud Computing and Storage (CCS) group in Microsoft Research. Prior to joining Microsoft Research, he was the development manager of the Audio Codecs and DSP group in the Core Media Processing Technology team at Microsoft which did the work on all the audio and speech codecs and audio processing technology shipped in various products such as Windows, Office Communicator, Windows Mobile, Xbox, and Zune. Before that, he was the development lead for the Windows Media Audio codec and prior to that he was a developer performing research on various audio/video/screen codec and processing technology.
He is the primary inventor of version 2 of the Windows Media Screen codec and the primary inventor and developer of the low bitrate extensions to the Windows Media Audio Professional (WMA Pro) audio codec which is amongst the best sounding audio codecs even at very low bitrates. It was chosen as the codec for use when downloading music directly to cell phones by Verizon's V CAST Music Service, which was one of the first such deployments. He has also shipped numerous technologies related to media processing, media delivery, and error correction codes. He and his team also invented and developed the first prototype version of the adaptive streaming technology which eventually became Microsoft’s IIS Smooth Streaming. He has also contributed technologies being used in the current H.264/MPEG-4 AVC video codec standard. Since joining MSR, he has architected and designed (jointly with the remote desktop team) the RemoteFX UDP transport protocol used in remote desktop which will ship with Windows 8. He has also worked with Lync in designing a better bandwidth management solution.
He received his M.Sc. and Ph.D. degrees in Electrical Engineering from Stanford University in 1996 and 2000 respectively. In 1996, he joined in the formation of a startup company, VXtreme, a pioneering company in streaming media, where he worked on researching and developing video codecs. VXtreme was acquired by Microsoft in 1997.
Sanjeev is an author on about 25 publications and is an inventor on close to 70 US patent applications out of which more than 25 have been granted. He was awarded the Microsoft Gold Star Award for his contributions to the WMA Pro codec low bitrate extensions.
His current research interests are in media compression and processing, delivery, communications, and coding, as well as networking protocols for delay sensitive interactive media and software applications.
- Qiang Xu, Sanjeev Mehrotra, Z. Morley Mao, and Jin Li, PROTEUS: Network Performance Forecast for Real-Time, Interactive Mobile Applications, in MobiSys 2013, ACM International Conference in Mobile Systems, Applications, and Services (MobiSys), June 2013
- Di Xie, Sanjeev Mehrotra, Jin Li, and Y. Charlie Hu, URCP: Universal Rate Control Protocol for Real-Time Communication Applications, no. MSR-TR-2013-64, 1 June 2013
- Sanjeev Mehrotra, Hua Chen, Sourabh Jain, Jin Li, Baochun Li, and Minghua Chen, Bandwidth Management for Mobile Media Delivery, in IEEE GLOBECOM 2012, IEEE Communications Society, December 2012
- Chao Zhang, Cheng Huang, Philip A. Chou, Jin Li, Sanjeev Mehrotra, Keith W. Ross, Hao Chen, Felix Livni, and Jay Thaler, Pangolin: Speeding up Concurrent Messaging for Cloud-Based Social Gaming, in CoNEXT '11 Proceedings of the Seventh COnference on emerging Networking EXperiments and Technologies, ACM, December 2011
- Viveck R. Cadambe, Cheng Huang, Jin Li, and Sanjeev Mehrotra, Polynomial Length MDS Codes With Optimal Repair in Distributed Storage, in Asilomar Conference on Signals, Systems, and Computers, IEEE, November 2011
- Sanjeev Mehrotra, Zhengyou Zhang, Qin Cai, Cha Zhang, and Philip A. Chou, Low-Complexity, Near-Lossless Coding of Depth Maps from Kinect-Like Depth Cameras, in Proceedings of MMSP, IEEE, October 2011
- Sanjeev Mehrotra, Wei-ge Chen, and Zhengyou Zhang, Interpolation of Combined Head and Room Impulse Response for Audio Spatialization, in Proceedings of MMSP, IEEE, October 2011
- Sanjeev Mehrotra, Wei-ge Chen, Zhengyou Zhang, and Philip A. Chou, Realistic audio in immersive video conferencing , in Int'l Conf. on Multimedia and Expo (ICME), IEEE, July 2011
- Sanjeev Mehrotra, Jin Li, and Ying-zong Huang, Optimizing FEC Transmission Strategy for Minimizing Delay in Lossless Sequential Streaming , in IEEE Transactions on Multimedia, IEEE, May 2011
- Sanjeev Mehrotra, Jin Li, Sudipta Sengupta, Manish Jain, and Sayandeep Sen, HYBRID WINDOW AND RATE BASED CONGESTION CONTROL FOR DELAY SENSITIVE APPLICATIONS, in Proceedings Globecom 2010, IEEE Communications Society, December 2010
- Sanjeev Mehrotra, Jin Li, and Ying-zong Huang, Optimizing FEC Transmission Strategy for Minimizing Delay in Lossless Sequential Streaming, no. MSR-TR-2010-134, October 2010
- Sanjeev Mehrotra, Jin Li, and Cheng Huang, RAPID: A Reliable Protocol for Improving Delay, in ACM Multimedia, Association for Computing Machinery, Inc., October 2010
- Sanjeev Mehrotra, Jin Li, and Ying-zong Huang, MINIMIZING DELAY IN LOSSLESS SEQUENTIAL DATA STREAMING, in Proceedings of ICME 2010, IEEE, July 2010
- Sanjeev Mehrotra and Weidong Zhao, Rate-Distortion Optimized Client Side Rate Control for Adaptive Media Streaming, in Proc. Workshop on Multimedia Signal Processing, IEEE, October 2009
- Ying-zong Huang, Sanjeev Mehrotra, and Jin Li, A hybrid FEC-ARQ protocol for low-delay lossless sequential data streaming, in 2009 IEEE International Conference on Multimedia and Expo, IEEE, 29 June 2009
- Sanjeev Mehrotra, Wei-ge Chen, and Kishore Kotteri, Low Bitrate Audio Coding Using Generalized Adaptive Gain Shape Vector Quantization Across Channels, in Proc. Int'l Conf. Acoustics, Speech, and Signal Processing, IEEE, April 2009
- Sanjeev Mehrotra, Wei-ge Chen, Kazuhito Koishida, and Naveen Thumpudi, Hybrid Low Bitrate Audio Coding Using Adaptive Gain Shape Vector Quantization, in Proc. Workshop on Multimedia Signal Processing, IEEE, October 2008
- Sanjeev Mehrotra and Wei-ge Chen, Selective Use Of Multiple Entropy Models In Audio Coding, in Proc. Workshop on Multimedia Signal Processing, IEEE, October 2008
- Gavin Minami, Zixiang Xiong, Albert Wang, and Sanjeev Mehrotra, 3-D wavelet coding of video with arbitrary regions of support, in IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems for Video Technology, IEEE, September 2001
- Philip A. Chou, Alexander E. Mohr, Albert Wang, and Sanjeev Mehrotra, Error control for receiver-driven layered multicast of audio and video, in IEEE Trans. Multimedia, vol. 3, no. 1, pp. 108–122, March 2001
- Sanjeev Mehrotra, On Optimal Overcomplete Subband Expansions for Multiple Description Coding, in Proceedings of SPIE, International Society for Optical Engineering, December 2000
- Sanjeev Mehrotra and Philip A. Chou, On optimal frame expansions for multiple description quantization, in Int'l Symp. on Information Theory, Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers, Inc., June 2000
- Philip A. Chou, Alexander E. Mohr, Albert Wang, and Sanjeev Mehrotra, FEC and pseudo-ARQ for receiver-driven layered multicast of audio and video, in Data Compression Conf., Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers, Inc., March 2000
- Philip A. Chou, Sanjeev Mehrotra, Alexander E. Mohr, and Albert Wang, FEC and pseudo-ARQ for receiver-driven layered multicast of audio and video, no. MSR-TR-99-86, November 1999
- Philip A. Chou, S. Mehrotra, Alexander E. Mohr, and Albert Wang, FEC and pseudo-ARQ for receiver-driven layered multicast, in Communication Theory Workshop, Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers, Inc., Aptos, CA, May 1999