After many years in MSR, I recently joined the Big Data team in the Data Platforms Group (DPG) of the Cloud and Enterprise (C&E) division. I am working to understand and improve the performance of Cosmos, Microsoft's internal big data analytics platform.
I built a mesh networking implementation.
I built a prototype implementation of IPv6 for Windows NT. See our web page. This evolved into the IPv6 stack shipped in Windows XP and CE, and then directly influenced Vista's rewritten networking stack.
I worked on Rialto, a small real-time operating system for consumer devices. Rialto was used in Microsoft's ITV trial with NTT in Yokosuka Japan. The Tiger multimedia file-system ran on the servers used in the trial.
In grad school, I worked on the Mach operating system. The code I wrote then is shipping today deep inside Apple's OS X operating system.
Program committee, ASPLOS 2010.
Review committee, ISCA 2009.
Program co-chair, OSDI 2008.
Program committee, ASPLOS 2008.
Program committee, SOSP 2007.
Program committee, SIGCOMM 2007 Workshop on "IPv6 and the Future of the Internet".
Program committee, WIOSCA 2007.
Executive Director, Internet Architecture Board (IAB), from April 2005 through April 2006.
Voting member & IETF representative, ICANN NomCom 2005.
Program committee, SIGCOMM 2005.
Non-voting advisor, IETF NomCom 2004.
Chair, IETF NomCom 2003.
Voting member, IETF NomCom 2002.
Member, Defense Science Study Group 2002-2003.
Program chair, Fourth USENIX Windows Systems Symposium.
Program committee, Seventh Workshop on Hot Topics in Operating Systems.
Program committee, 16th ACM Symposium on Operating Systems Principles.
Program committee, Second Symposium on Operating Systems Design and Implementation.
- Rich Draves and Pamela Ash, Festschrift for Rick Rashid on his 60th birthday, Microsoft Research, 5 July 2012
- Johnson Apacible, Rich Draves, Jeremy Elson, Jinliang Fan, Owen Hofmann, Jon Howell, Ed Nightingale, Reuben Olinsky, and Yutaka Suzue, MinuteSort with Flat Datacenter Storage, no. MSR-TR-2012-126, 15 May 2012
- Richard Draves, Jitendra Padhye, and Brian Zill, Routing in Multi-radio, Multi-hop Wireless Mesh Networks, in MobiCom, September 2004
- Richard Draves, Jitendra Padhye, and Brian Zill, Comparison of Routing Metrics for Static Multi-Hop Wireless Networks, in SIGCOMM, August 2004
- Richard Draves, Default Address Selection for Internet Protocol version 6 (IPv6), in RFC, Internet Society, February 2003
- Thomas Narten and Richard Draves, Privacy Extensions for Stateless Address Autoconfiguration in IPv6, in RFC, Internet Society, January 2001
- Richard P. Draves, Christopher King, Srinivasan Venkatachary, and Brian D. Zill, Constructing Optimal IP Routing Tables, in Proceedings of the Eighteenth Annual Joint Conference of the IEEE Computer and Communications Societies (IEEE INFOCOM '99), March 1999