Tel: (425) 706-7034
Ranveer Chandra is a Senior Researcher in the Mobility & Networking Research Group at Microsoft Research. His research is focused on mobile devices, with particular emphasis on wireless communications and energy efficiency. Ranveer's research has shipped as part of multiple Microsoft products, including Windows 7, Windows 8, Visual Studio, Windows Phone, and XBOX. He is active in the networking and systems research community, and most recently served as Program Committee Chair of IEEE DySPAN 2012, and ACM MobiCom 2013.
As part of his doctoral dissertation, Ranveer developed VirtualWiFi. The software has been downloaded more than 150,000 times and is among the top 5 downloaded software released by Microsoft Research. It is also shipping as a feature in Windows 7. Ranveer is also leading the white space networking project at Microsoft Research. He was invited to the FCC to present his work, and spectrum regulators from India, China, Brazil, Singapore and US (including the FCC chairman) have visited the Microsoft campus to see his deployment of the world's first urban white space network.
Ranveer has published more than 45 papers, and filed over 70 patents, 20 of which have been granted. His research has been cited by the popular press, such as CNET, MIT Technology Review, Scientific American, New York Times, WSJ, among others. He has won several awards, including best paper awards at ACM CoNext 2008 and ACM SIGCOMM 2009, the Microsoft Research Graduate Fellowship, the Microsoft Gold Star Award, the MIT Technology Review's Top Innovators Under 35, TR35 (2010) and Fellow in Communications, World Technology Network (2012). Ranveer has an undergraduate degree from IIT Kharagpur, India and a PhD from Cornell University.
For a more detailed CV, click here.
- Paramvir Bahl, Ranveer Chandra, Thomas Moscibroda, Rohan Murty, and Matt Welsh, White Space Networking with Wi-Fi like Connectivity, in ACM SIGCOMM (Best Paper Award), Association for Computing Machinery, Inc., August 2009
- Yuvraj Agarwal, Steve Hodges, Ranveer Chandra, James Scott, Paramvir Bahl, and Rajesh Gupta, Somniloquy: Augmenting Network Interfaces to Reduce PC Energy Usage, in Networked Systems Design & Implementation (NSDI), USENIX, 22 April 2009
- Paramvir Bahl, Ranveer Chandra, Patrick P. C. Lee, Vishal Misra, Jitendra Padhye, Dan Rubenstein, and Yan Yu, Opportunistic Use of Client Repeaters to Improve Performance of WLANs, in ACM CoNEXT 2008 (Best Paper Award), Association for Computing Machinery, Inc., December 2008
- Srikanth Kandula, Ranveer Chandra, and Dina Katabi, Whats Going On? Learning Communication Rules in Edge Networks, in ACM SIGCOMM, Association for Computing Machinery, Inc., August 2008
- Ranveer Chandra, Ratul Mahajan, Thomas Moscibroda, Ramya Raghavendra, and Paramvir Bahl, A Case for Adapting Channel Width in Wireless Networks, in ACM SIGCOMM, Association for Computing Machinery, Inc., August 2008