I am a member of the Data Management, Exploration and Mining group in Microsoft Research Redmond. I work on various aspects database systems, mostly related to data integration and transaction processing.
I have worked on data integration for 25 years--for the past fifteen in the context of my Model Management Project. The long term goal is to make database systems easier to use for model-driven applications, such as design tools, message translators, and database translators. The recent project focus is object-to-relational mapping, especially in support of the ADO.NET Entity Framework. Over the years, this work has been done in close collaboration with Sergey Melnik (now at Google), James Terwilliger (Microsoft), Eli Cortez (Microsoft), Suad Alagic (Univ. of Southern Maine), Alon Halevy (Google), Jayant Madhavan (Google), René Miller (Univ. of Toronto), Peter Mork (MITRE Corp.), Rachel Pottinger (Univ. of British Columbia), Christoph Quix (Technical Univ. of Aachen), Erhard Rahm (Univ. of Leipzig), Adi Unnithan (Microsoft), and many great interns.
My early research was primarily on transaction processing and, after a long hiatus, I resumed working in this area in 2006. I was a co-designer of the database engine for SQL Azure and of Hyder, a prototype transactional indexed-record manager that scales out without partitioning. Sudipto Das and I recently surveyed techniques for multi-master replication. Currently, I'm working on a related project on distributed systems middleware, called Orleans. I have also published the following two books on transaction processing.
- Principles of Transaction Processing (2nd edition), coauthored with Eric Newcomer, was published in June 2009 by Morgan-Kauffman Publishers, a division of Elsevier. Translated into Chinese, Japanese, and Korean.
- Concurrency Control and Recovery in Database Systems, coauthored with Vassos Hadzilacos and Nathan Goodman, is downloadable for free from here.
I've published many research papers on transaction processing, data integration, and other aspects of database management. You can find a nearly-complete list at the DBLP Computer Science Bibliography.
- Affiliate Professor at University of Washington, where I teach CSEP 545 Transaction Processing.
- Member of the National Academy of Engineering. Member of the Board of Directors of Washington State Academy of Sciences.
- Editorial Board member: Information Systems, Springer Data-Centric Systems and Applications.
- Recent conference program committees: HPTS 2015 (PC Chair), VLDB 2015, SIGMOD 2014, SIGMOD 2013, ICDE 2013, CIDR 2013, SIGMOD 2012, SIGMOD 2010; VLDB 2012 E&A
- Advisory Boards: Computing Research Association (CRA): Finance Committee
- Emeritus: The VLDB Journal, Editor-in-Chief; University of Washington, Tacoma Institute of Technology Technical Advisory Board member; Computing Research Association (CRA): Treasurer, Member of the Board of Directors; Member of the Board on Mathematical Sciences and Applications (The National Academies); Journal of Web Semantics Editorial Board Member., OMICS - A Journal of Integrative Biology Editorial Board Member, PVLDB Advisory Board; SIGMOD Advisory Board, World Wide Web: Internet and Web Information Systems.