I first joined Microsoft in 2000 as a software design engineer in the speech recognition product group. Intrigued by the challenges of bringing cutting edge technology from research to consumer products, I moved to MIT in 2004 to pursue a Ph.D. in speech recognition and natural language processing and learn about technology transfer challenges from a research perspective. Since returning to Microsoft in 2009 as a researcher in the Internet Services Research Center, I have been working with various product groups in Bing to improve the overall user experience through research technologies.
Some of my recent contributions include:
- Compact and efficient system for generating query completions
- Structured query completion suggestion for disambiguation and refinement
- Robust conversion and completion for Chinese pinyin queries
- Compact web-scale n-grams for efficient word breaking
Predictive input methods for query formulation and text entry
- Web-scale language modeling and applications
Robust entity recognition and disambiguation
Efficient data structures and algorithms
Interactive user interfaces
- Yanen Li, Bo-June Paul Hsu, and ChengXiang Zhai, Unsupervised Identification of Synonymous Query Intent, in CIKM, ACM, 27 October 2013.
- Yanen Li, Bo-June Paul Hsu, ChengXiang Zhai, and Kuansan Wang, Mining Entity Attribute Synonyms via Compact Clustering, in CIKM, ACM, 27 October 2013.
- Bo-June Paul Hsu and Giuseppe Ottaviano, Space-Efficient Data Structures for Top-k Completion, in WWW 2013, ACM, 13 May 2013.
- Chun-Kai Wang, Paul Hsu, Ming-Wei Chang, and Emre Kıcıman, Simple and Knowledge-intensive Generative Model for Named Entity Recognition, no. MSR-TR-2013-3, 4 January 2013.
- Yuan Fang, Bo-June Paul Hsu, and Kevin Chen-Chuan Chang, Confidence-Aware Graph Regularization with Heterogeneous Pairwise Features, in SIGIR, ACM, 12 August 2012.
- Yanen Li, Bo-June Paul Hsu, ChengXiang Zhai, and Kuansan Wang, Unsupervised Query Segmentation Using Clickthrough for Information Retrieval, in SIGIR 2011, ACM, 24 July 2011.
- Tim Paek and Bo-June Paul Hsu, Sampling Representative Phrase Sets for Text Entry Experiments: A Procedure and Public Resource, in CHI 2011, ACM, 7 May 2011.
- Huizhong Duan and Bo-June Paul Hsu, Online Spelling Correction for Query Completion, WWW 2011, March 2011.
- Kuansan Wang, Christopher Thrasher, and Paul Hsu, Web Scale NLP: A Case Study on URL Word Breaking, in Proceedings of WWW-2011, ACM, March 2011.
- Kuansan Wang, Christopher Thrasher, Evelyne Viegas, Xiaolong Li, and Paul Hsu, An Overview of Microsoft Web N-gram Corpus and Applications, June 2010.
- Bo-June Paul Hsu, Language Modeling for Limited-Data Domains, 27 February 2009.
- Bo-June Paul Hsu and James Glass, Spoken Correction for Chinese Text Entry, in International Symposium on Chinese Spoken Language Processing (ISCSLP), IEEE, December 2006.