I first joined Microsoft in 2000 as a software design engineer in the speech recognition product group. Intrigued by the challenges of bringing cutting edge technology from research to consumer products, I moved to MIT in 2004 to pursue a Ph.D. in speech recognition and natural language processing and learn about technology transfer challenges from a research perspective. Since returning to Microsoft in 2009 as a researcher in the Internet Services Research Center, I have been working with various product groups in Bing to improve the overall user experience through research technologies.
Some of my recent contributions include:
- Compact and efficient system for generating query completions
- Structured query completion suggestion for disambiguation and refinement
- Robust conversion and completion for Chinese pinyin queries
- Compact web-scale n-grams for efficient word breaking
Predictive input methods for query formulation and text entry
- Web-scale language modeling and applications
Robust entity recognition and disambiguation
Efficient data structures and algorithms
Interactive user interfaces
- Arnab Sinha, Zhihong Shen, Yang Song, Hao Ma, Darrin Eide, and Kuansan Wang, An Overview of Microsoft Academic Service (MAS) and Applications, WWW – World Wide Web Consortium (W3C), 18 May 2015.
- Bin Bi, Hao Ma, Paul Hsu, Wei Chu, Kuansan Wang, and Junghoo Cho, Learning to Recommend Related Entities to Search Users, in Proceedings of the 8th ACM International Conference on Web Search and Data Mining (WSDM), February 2015.
- Yanen Li, Bo-June Paul Hsu, and ChengXiang Zhai, Unsupervised Identification of Synonymous Query Intent, in CIKM, ACM, 27 October 2013.
- Yanen Li, Bo-June Paul Hsu, ChengXiang Zhai, and Kuansan Wang, Mining Entity Attribute Synonyms via Compact Clustering, in CIKM, ACM, 27 October 2013.
- Bo-June Paul Hsu and Giuseppe Ottaviano, Space-Efficient Data Structures for Top-k Completion, in WWW 2013, ACM, 13 May 2013.
- Chun-Kai Wang, Paul Hsu, Ming-Wei Chang, and Emre Kıcıman, Simple and Knowledge-intensive Generative Model for Named Entity Recognition, no. MSR-TR-2013-3, 4 January 2013.
- Yuan Fang, Bo-June Paul Hsu, and Kevin Chen-Chuan Chang, Confidence-Aware Graph Regularization with Heterogeneous Pairwise Features, in SIGIR, ACM, 12 August 2012.
- Yanen Li, Bo-June Paul Hsu, ChengXiang Zhai, and Kuansan Wang, Unsupervised Query Segmentation Using Clickthrough for Information Retrieval, in SIGIR 2011, ACM, 24 July 2011.
- Tim Paek and Bo-June Paul Hsu, Sampling Representative Phrase Sets for Text Entry Experiments: A Procedure and Public Resource, in CHI 2011, ACM, 7 May 2011.
- Kuansan Wang, Christopher Thrasher, and Paul Hsu, Web Scale NLP: A Case Study on URL Word Breaking, in Proceedings of WWW-2011, ACM, March 2011.
- Huizhong Duan and Bo-June Paul Hsu, Online Spelling Correction for Query Completion, WWW 2011, March 2011.
- Kuansan Wang, Christopher Thrasher, Evelyne Viegas, Xiaolong Li, and Paul Hsu, An Overview of Microsoft Web N-gram Corpus and Applications, June 2010.
- Bo-June Paul Hsu, Language Modeling for Limited-Data Domains, 27 February 2009.
- Bo-June Paul Hsu and James Glass, Spoken Correction for Chinese Text Entry, in International Symposium on Chinese Spoken Language Processing (ISCSLP), IEEE, December 2006.