Philip A. Chou
One Microsoft Way
Redmond, WA 98052
pachou AT microsoft.com
- Ph.D., Stanford University, Electrical Engineering, 1988.
- M.S., University of California, Berkeley, Electrical Engineering and Computer Science, 1983.
- B.S.E., Princeton University, Electrical Engineering and Computer Science, 1980.
- Compression, transmission, and recognition of video, images, audio, speech, and documents.
- Information theory, data compression, and pattern recognition.
- Network communication and coding.
- Microsoft Research, Redmond, WA. Manager, Communication and Collaboration Systems Group, July 2004 – July 2011.
- Microsoft Research, Redmond, WA. Principal Researcher, July 1998 – present.
- Microsoft Corp., Redmond, WA. Software Design Engineer, September 1997 – June 1998.
- VXtreme, Inc., Sunnyvale, CA. Compression Group Manager, January – September 1997.
- Stanford University, Stanford, CA. Consulting Associate Professor, Spring 1995.
- Xerox Palo Alto Research Center, Palo Alto, CA. Member of Research Staff II, 1990-96.
- AT&T Bell Laboratories, Murray Hill, NJ. Member Technical Staff, 1988-90.
- Stanford University, Information Systems Lab, Stanford, CA. Research Assistant, 1986-88.
- Hughes Aircraft Company, El Segundo, CA. Member Technical Staff, 1984-85.
- Speech Plus, Inc., Mountain View, CA. Software Engineer, 1983-84.
- University of California, Berkeley, CA. Teaching Assistant, 1981-83.
- Telesensory Systems, Inc., Palo Alto, CA. Software Engineer, 1980-81.
- Bell Laboratories, Holmdel, NJ. Co-op Program, 1980.
- Princeton Plasma Physics Laboratory, Princeton, NJ. Programmer, 1979.
- IBM, Dayton, NJ. Programmer, 1977-78.
- IEEE Int'l Conf. Multimedia and Expo (ICME) Best Paper Award (2009)
- IEEE Transactions on Multimedia Prize Paper Award (2007)
- IEEE Int'l Conf. Multimedia and Expo (ICME) Best Paper Award (2002)
- IEEE Signal Processing Society Paper Award (1993).
- IBM Doctoral Fellowship (1987).
- Hughes Doctoral Fellowship (1984).
- Lockheed Leadership Fellowship (1983, declined).
- Regent’s Fellowship (1981).
- Sigma Xi (1987).
- Tau Beta Pi (1980).
- Phi Beta Kappa (1980).
- IEEE Fellow (2003).
- IEEE Senior Member (2000).
- IEEE Communications Society (1997).
- IEEE Information Theory Society (1984).
- IEEE Signal Processing Society (1984).
- IEEE Computer Society (1981).
- Vice-Chairman , Santa Clara Valley Chapter, Information Theory Society, 1992-1997.
- Guest Editor, Special Issue on Recent Advances in Vector Quantization, IEEE Transactions on Image Processing, February 1996.
- Co-organizer and Chair, Special Session on Universal and Adaptive Coding, IEEE International Conference on Image Processing, Lausanne, September 1996.
- Associate Editor, Source Coding, IEEE Transactions on Information Theory, 1998-2001.
- Member, Image and Multidimensional Digital Signal Processing Technical Committee, IEEE Signal Processing Society, 1998-2004. Chair of awards subcommittee, 2000-2003.
- Member, Technical Program Committees: IEEE Signal Processing Society Workshop on Multidimensional Signal Processing (1998, 2001); IEEE Data Compression Conference (2000, 2001); IEEE Int'l Symp. on Information Theory (2001); IEEE Int'l Conf. on Image Processing (2000, 2001, 2008, 2009, 2010); IEEE Int'l Conf. on Multimedia and Expo. (2002, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011); IEEE Int'l Conf. on Acoustics, Speech, and Signal Processing (2002, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012); Packet Video Workshop (2002, 2003, 2004, 2007), NOSSDAV (2004), NetCod (2006, 2007), IEEE SPS Workshop on Multimedia Signal Processing (2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011); IEEE ESPA (2011); IEEE Hot3D Workshop (2012).
- Co-organizer and Co-chair, Special Session on Rate-Distortion Optimized Delivery of Realtime and Streaming Media, IEEE International Conference on Multimedia and Exhibition, Lausanne, August 2002.
- Guest Editor, Special Issue on Streaming Media, IEEE Transactions on Multimedia, April 2004.
- Technical Chair, Workshop on Network Coding, Theory, and Applications, April 2005.
- Special Sessions Chair, IEEE Int'l Conf. on Acoustics, Speech, and Signal Processing (ICASSP), April 2007.
- Member, Multimedia Signal Processing Technical Committee, IEEE Signal Processing Society, 2007-present. Chair of awards subcommittee, 2007-2008. Vice-Chair 2009. Chair 2010-2011. Past Chair 2012.
- Member, editorial board, IEEE Signal Processing Magazine, 2007-2008.
- Member, IEEE Transactions on Multimedia Steering Committee, 2009-2011.
- Member, Multimedia Technial Committee, IEEE Communications Society, 2009-present.
- Publicity Chair, Packet Video Workshop, 2009.
- Technical Co-Chair, Multimedia Signal Processing Workshop (MMSP), 2009.
- Interim Chair, ICME Steering Committee, 2009. Member 2010-2011.
- Member, IEEE Signal Processing Society Fellow Evaluation Committee, 2009-2011.
- Guest Editor, Special Issue on Immersive Communication, IEEE Signal Processing Magazine, April 2011.
- Member-at-Large, IEEE Signal Processing Society Board of Governors, 2012-2014.
- Awards Chair, Int'l Conf. on Image Processing (ICIP), 2015.
- Reviewer for the National Science Foundation, IEEE Transactions on Acoustics, Speech, and Signal Processing, IEEE Transactions on Communications, IEEE Transactions on Information Theory, IEEE Transactions on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence, IEEE Transactions on Neural Networks, IEEE Transactions on Image Processing, IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing, IEEE Signal Processing Letters, Proceedings of the IEEE, Electronics Letters, Signal Processing, Journal of Computational Graphics and Statistics, Multidimensional Systems and Signal Processing, IEE Proc. On Communications, Speech, and Vision, DCC, ICASSP, ICIP, ESPA, ISIT, MMSP, Globecom, SSPR , ICPR , SIGGRAPH, NOSSDAV, PVW.
- Olivier Trémois, "Reconnaissance d’Equations," Master’s Project, Ecole Nationale de Physique de Marseille, 1990. [Advisor: Prof. Prea]
- Michelle Effros, "Universal and Adaptive Source Coding: Theory and Practice," Ph.D. Thesis, Stanford University, 1994. [Advisor: Prof. R. M. Gray]
- Jesse F. Hull, "Recognition of Mathematics Using a Two-Dimensional Trainable Context-Free Grammar," Master’s Thesis, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 1996. [Advisor: M. D. Trott]
Theses Mentored (informal supervision)
- Sanjeev Mehrotra, "Multiple Description Coding using Overcomplete Linear Expansions," Ph.D. Thesis, Stanford University, May 2000. [Advisor: Prof. R. M. Gray]
- Taku A. Tokuyasu, "Turbo Recognition: An Approach to Decoding Page Layout," Ph.D. Thesis, University of California, Berkeley, 2001. [Advisor: R. A. Fateman]
Thesis Committees Served
- Richard Vander Kam, "Lossy Data Compression Methods for Halftoned and Printed Images," Ph.D. Thesis, Stanford University, 1995. [Advisor: Prof. R. M. Gray]
- Agnieszka C. Miguel, "Image Compression using Overcomplete Wavelet Representations for Multiple Description Coding," Ph.D. Thesis, University of Washington, 2001. [Advisor: Prof. E. A. Riskin]
- Rui Zhang, "End-to-end Rate Distortion Analysis and Optimization for Robust Video Transmission over Lossy Networks," Ph.D. Thesis, University of California, Santa Barbara, 2001. [Advisor: Prof. K. Rose]
- Zhourong Miao, "Algorithms for Streaming, Caching and Storage of Digital Media," Ph.D. Thesis, University of Southern California, 2002. [Advisor: A. Ortega]
- Alexander E. Mohr, Ph.D. Thesis, University of Washington, expected 2003. [Advisor: Prof. R. E. Ladner]
- Cheng Huang, "Efficient and Effective Schemes for Streaming Media Delivery," Ph.D. Thesis, Washington University, St. Louis, June 2005. [Advisor: Prof. L. Xu]
- Shaolei Ren, "Strategic Pricing and Resource Allocation: Framework and Applications," Ph.D. Thesis, University of California, Los Angeles, 2012. [Advisor: Prof. M. Vander Schaar]
Last updated 6/19/2012