ASSOCIATE RESEARCHER II
I am an associate researcher in the Social and Urban Mining (SUM) Group of Microsoft Research Asia. I am also a member of the Ubiquitous Computing Group (Ubicomp) in Microsoft Research. I got my Ph.D degree in Computer Science from the School of Computer Science and Technology in 2012, and I received my B.S. degree in Mathematics from the School of the Gifted Young in 2007, both in University of Science and Technology of China. From 2009 to 2012, I worked as a full time research intern in MSR Asia. Currently, my research interests include behavioral data mining, spatial-temporal data mining and computational social science. I am a Microsoft Fellow, a member of CCF (China Computer Federation), ACM, and IEEE.
Tower 2, No. 5 Danling Street, Haidian District, Beijing, China, 100080
- Yingzi Wang, Nicholas Jing Yuan, Defu Lian, Linli Xu, Xing Xie, Enhong Chen, and Yong Rui, Regularity and Conformity: Location Prediction Using
Heterogeneous Mobility Data, KDD 2015.
- Fuzheng Zhang, Kai Zheng, Nicholas Jing Yuan, Xing Xie, Enhong Chen, Xiaofang Zhou, A Novelty-Seeking based Dining Recommender System, 24th International World Wide Web Conference (WWW), Florence, Italy, May 2015
- Xuan Song, Quanshi Zhang, Yoshihide Sekimoto, Ryosuke Shibasaki, Nicholas Jing Yuan, and Xing Xie, A Simulator of Human Emergency Mobility following Disasters: Knowledge Transfer from Big Disaster Data, 29th AAAI Conference on Artificial Intelligence (AAAI), Austin, Texas, Jan. 2015
- Yuan Zhong, Nicholas Jing Yuan, Wen Zhong, Fuzheng Zhang, Xing Xie, You Are Where You Go: Inferring Demographic Attributes from Location Check-ins, 8th ACM International Conference on Web Search and Data Mining (WSDM), Shanghai, China, Feb. 2015 (AR: 39/238=16.4%)
- Bolong Zheng, Nicholas Jing Yuan, Kai Zheng, Xing Xie and Xiaofang Zhou. Approximate Keyword Search in Semantic Trajectory Database, 31st International Conference on Data Engineering (ICDE), Seoul, Korea, April 2015
- Han Su, Kai Zheng, Kai Zeng, Jiamin Huang, Nicholas Jing Yuan and Xiaofang Zhou. Making Sense of Trajectory Data: A Partition-and-Summarization Approach, 31st International Conference on Data Engineering (ICDE), Seoul, Korea, April 2015
- Le Wu, Yin Zhu, Nicholas Jing Yuan, Enhong Chen, Xing Xie and Yong Rui. Predicting Smartphone Adoption in Social Networks, 19th Pacific-Asia Conference on Knowledge Discovery and Data Mining (PAKDD), Ho Chi Minh City, Viet Nam, May 2015. (AR: 27/405=6.7%, regular)
- Le Wu, Qi Liu, Enhong Chen, Nicholas Jing Yuan, Guangming Guo, Xing Xie, Relevance meets Coverage: A Unified Framework to Generate Diversified Recommendations, ACM Transactions on Intelligent Systems and Technology (TIST), accepted, Oct. 2014
- Yanjie Fu, Yong Ge, Yu Zheng, Zijun Yao, Yanchi Liu, Hui Xiong, Nicholas Jing Yuan. Sparse Real Estate Ranking with Online User Reviews and Offline Moving Behaviors. The 14th IEEE Conference on Data Mining (ICDM), Shenzhen, China, 2014 (AR: 71/727=9.8%)
- Yanchi Liu, Chuanren Liu, Nicholas Jing Yuan, Lian Duan, Yanjie Fu, Hui Xiong. Exploiting Heterogeneous Human Mobility Patterns for Intelligent Bus Routing. The 14th IEEE International Conference on Data Mining (ICDM), Shenzhen, China, 2014 (AR: 71/727=9.8%, Best Paper Candidate)
- Nicholas Jing Yuan, Yu Zheng, Xing Xie, Yingzi Wang, Kai Zheng, Hui Xiong, Discovering Urban Functional Zones Using Latent Activity Trajectories, IEEE Transactions on Knowledge and Data Engineering (TKDE), accepted
- Fuzheng Zhang, Nicholas Jing Yuan, David Wilkie, Yu Zheng, Xing Xie, Sensing the Pulse of Urban Refueling Behavior: A Perspective from Taxi Mobility, ACM Transactions on Intelligent Systems and Technology (TIST), accepted
- Fuzheng Zhang, Nicholas Jing Yuan, Yingzi Wang, and Xing Xie, Reconstructing Individual Mobility from Smart Card Transactions: A Collaborative Space Alignment Approach, Knowledge and Information Systems (KAIS), accepted
- Fuzheng Zhang, Nicholas Jing Yuan, Defu Lian, and Xing Xie, Mining Novelty-Seeking Trait Across Heterogeneous Domains, 23rd International World Wide Web Conference (WWW), Seoul, Korea, Apr. 2014. (AR: 84/645=13%)
- Defu Lian, Xing Xie, Vincent W. Zheng, Nicholas Jing Yuan, Fuzheng Zhang, Enhong Chen, CEPR: A Collaborative Exploration and Periodically Returning Model for Location Prediction, ACM Transactions on Intelligent Systems and Technology (TIST), accepted
- Nicholas Jing Yuan, Yingzi Wang, Fuzheng Zhang, Xing Xie, and Guangzhong Sun, Reconstructing Individual Mobility from Smart Card Transactions: A Space Alignment Approach, IEEE International Conference on Data Mining (ICDM), Dallas, USA, 2013. (AR: 94/809=11.6%, Best Paper Award)
- Kai Zheng, Yu Zheng, Nicholas Jing Yuan, Shuo Shang and Xiaofang Zhou, Online Discovery of Gathering Patterns over Trajectories. IEEE Transactions on Knowledge and Data Engineering (TKDE) (accepted in Sep. 2013)
- Nicholas Jing Yuan, Fuzheng Zhang, Defu Lian, Kai Zheng, Siyu Yu, Xing Xie, We Know How You Live: Exploring the Spectrum of Urban Lifestyles, ACM Conference on Online Social Networks (COSN), Boston, USA, Oct. 2013 (AR: 22/138=15.9%).
- Kai Zheng, Shuo Shang, Nicholas Jing Yuan, and Yi Yang, Towards Efficient Search for Activity Trajectories, ICDE 2013.
- Kai Zheng, Yu Zheng, Nicholas Jing Yuan, and Shuo Shang, On Discovery of Gathering Patterns from Trajectories, ICDE 2013.
- Jing Yuan, Yu Zheng, Xing Xie and Guangzhong Sun, T-Drive: Enhancing Driving Directions with Taxi Drivers' Intelligence, IEEE Transactions on Knowledge and Data Engineering (TKDE), 25(1): 220-232, 2013.
- Nicholas Jing Yuan, Yu Zheng, Liuhang Zhang and Xing Xie, T-Finder: A Recommender System for Finding Passengers and Vacant Taxis, accepted by IEEE Transactions on Knowledge and Data Engineering (TKDE).
- Jing Yuan, Yu Zheng and Xing Xie, Discovering regions of different functions in a city using human mobility and POIs, KDD 2012.
- Jing Yuan, Guangzhong Sun, Tao Luo, Defu Lian and Guoliang Chen, Efficient processing of top-k queries: Selective NRA algorithms, Journal of Intelligent Information Systems.
- Lu-An Tang, Yu Zheng, Jing Yuan, Jiawei Han, Alice Leung, Wen-Chih Peng, Thomas La Porta and Lance Kaplan, A Framework of Traveling Companion Discovery on Trajectory Data Streams, ACM Transactions on Intelligent Systems and Technology (TIST).
- Lu-An Tang, Yu Zheng, Jing Yuan, Jiawei Han, Alice Leung, Chih-Chieh Hung and Wen-Chih Peng, On Discovery of Traveling Companions from Streaming Trajecctories, ICDE 2012.
- Jing Yuan, Yu Zheng, Xing Xie and Guangzhong Sun, Driving with Knowledge from the Physical World, KDD 2011.
- Jing Yuan, Yu Zheng, Liuhang Zhang, Xing Xie and Guangzhong Sun, Where to Find My Next Passenger? Ubicomp 2011 (AR: 50/302=16.6%).
- Yu Zheng, Yanchi Liu, Jing Yuan and Xing Xie, Urban Computing with Taxicabs, Ubicomp 2011 (AR 50/302=16.6%, Best Paper Nominee).
- Wei Liu, Yu Zheng, Sanjay Chawala, Jing Yuan and Xing Xie, Discovering Spatio-Temporal Causal Interactions in Traffic Data Streams KDD 2011.
- Lu-An Tang, Yu Zheng, Xing Xie, Jing Yuan, Xiao Yu and Jiawei Han, Retrieving k-Nearest Neighboring Trajectories by a Set of Point Locations, SSTD 2011.
- Jing Yuan, Yu Zheng, Chengyang Zhang, Wenlei Xie, Xing Xie, Guangzhong Sun, Yan Huang. T-Drive: Driving Directions Based on Taxi Trajectories, ACM GIS 2010 (Best Paper Award Runner-up).
- Yu Zheng, Jing Yuan, Xing Xie. Drive smartly as a taxi driver. Demo, In International Conference on Ubiquitous Computing (Ubicomp 2010), and International Conference on Ubiquitous Intelligence and Computing (UIC 2010).
- Jing Yuan, Yu Zheng, Chengyang Zhang, Xing Xie, Guangzhong Sun, An Interactive Voting-based Map Matching Algorithm, IEEE Mobile Data Management (MDM) 2010.
- Jing Yuan, Guangzhong Sun, Zhong Zhang, Nenghai Yu, CkNN Monitoring based on Parallel Pre-Computing, Geoinformatics 2010.
- Jing Yuan, Guangzhong Sun, Guoliang Chen, Zhi Liu, Selective-NRA Algorithms for Top-k Queries. APWeb/WAIM 2009.
- Guangzhong Sun, Zhong Zhang, Jing Yuan, An efficient pre-computation technique for approximation KNN search in road networks. GIS-LBSN 2009: 41-44.
- Zhenqiang Gong, Guangzhong Sun, Jing Yuan, Yanjing Zhong, Efficient Top-k Query Algorithms Using K-Skyband Partition. Infoscale 2009: 288-305
- Jing Yuan, Querying, Mining with Applications on Large-Scale Trajectory Data, Ph. D Dissertation, in Chinese, 2012. (Distinguished Doctoral Dissertation Award of Chinese Academy of Sciences, available upon email request).
Selected Professional Services
- Mining urban and social big data, Keynote, 3rd International workshop on Natural Language Processing for Social Media (SocialNLP) 2015, in conjunction with WWW 2015, Florence, Italy.
Program Committee Co-Chair of HuMoComp 2013, HuMoComp 2014, HuMoComp 2015 (in conjunction with ICDM 2015).
Proceeding Chair of Urbcomp 2012, LBSN 2012
Program Committee Members:
- KDD 2015, ACL 2015, ICDE 2015, IJCAI 2015, ICWSM 2015, WSDM 2015, SDM 2015
- KDD 2014, ACL 2014, WWW 2014, WSDM 2014, ICWSM 2014, ICDM 2014
- ICDM 2013, EMNLP 2013