Microsoft Research India
I am a researcher in the Mobility, Networks, and Systems group at Microsoft Research India. My work is in the area of Mobile Systems and Wireless Networking. I received my Ph.D. in Computer Science from the Stony Brook University in 2007.
User Context and Applications:
- Insider - Breaking Mobile App Silos
Mobile Communication and Power Optimizations:
- 3G/LTE: QProbe, LoadSense, RadioJockey, Stratus, Bartendr, Cool-Tether
- WiFi: DiversiFi, NAPman, DirCast
Professional Services and Awards
Best Paper Awards: CoNEXT 2015, COMSNETS 2010, Mobisys 2007
TPC Member: Mobisys 2016, Mobisys 2015 (external), MobiCom 2014, MobiCom 2013
TPC Co-chair: ACM WiNTECH Workshop 2012, Networking Summit, Agra 2010
- TheVerge.com - Bing launches 'snapshots on tap' before Google Now on Tap can launch
- Wired.com - How Microsoft Beat Google To Android's Next Big Trick
- CNN.com - New ways to double phone battery life
- MIT Technology Review - How Wi-Fi Drains Your Cell Phone
- NewScientist: Cellphones team up to make Wi-Fi where you want it
- Slashdot: Cool-Tether Links Phones' Bandwidth To Make High-Speed Hotspots
- PCPro.co.uk: Cool-Tether turns phones into high-speed hotspots
- Popular Science: Microsoft 'Cool-Tether' Combines Multiple Smartphones into High-Speed Hotspot
- Nimantha Baranasuriya, Vishnu Navda, Venkata N. Padmanabhan, and Seth Gilbert, QProbe: Locating the Bottleneck in Cellular Communication, in CoNEXT 2015, ACM – Association for Computing Machinery, 1 December 2015.
- Rajat Kateja, Nimantha Baranasuriya, Vishnu Navda, and Venkata N. Padmanabhan, DiversiFi: Robust Multi-Link Interactive Streaming, in CoNEXT 2015, ACM – Association for Computing Machinery, 1 December 2015.
- Vageesh Chandramouli, Abhijnan Chakraborty, Vishnu Navda, Saikat Guha, Venkata Padmanabhan, and Ramachandran Ramjee, Insider: Towards Breaking Down Mobile App Silos, in TRIOS Workshop held in conjunction with the SIGOPS SOSP 2015, 15 September 2015.
- John Rula, Vishnu Navda, Fabian Bustamante, Ranjita Bhagwan, and Saikat Guha, No "one-size fits all": Towards a principled approach for incentives in mobile crowdsourcing, in Proceedings of the 15th Workshop on Mobile Computing Systems and Applications (HotMobile), Santa Barbara, CA, February 2014.
- Abhijnan Chakraborty, Vishnu Navda, Venkata N. Padmanabhan, and Ramachandran Ramjee, Coordinating Cellular Background Transfers using LoadSense, in ACM Mobicom 2013, September 2013.
- Sahil Suneja, Vishnu Navda, Ramachandran Ramjee, and Eyal de Lara, EnVi: Energy Efﬁcient Video Player for Mobiles, in CellNet 2013 workshop, ACM, 25 June 2013.
- Pavan Kumar Athivarapu, Ranjita Bhagwan, Saikat Guha, Vishnu Navda, Ramachandran Ramjee, Dushyant Arora, Venkat Padmanabhan, and George Varghese, RadioJockey: Mining Program Execution to Optimize Cellular Radio Usage, ACM MOBICOM, 22 August 2012.
- Krishna Chintalapudi, Bozidar Radunovic, Vlad Balan, Michael Buettener, Srinivas Yerramalli, Vishnu Navda, and Ramachandran Ramjee, WiFi-NC : WiFi Over Narrow Channels, in NSDI, NSDI, 27 April 2012.
- Krishna Chintalapudi, Bozidar Radunovic, Vlad Balan, Michael Buettener, Srinivas Yerramalli, Vishnu Navda, and Ramachandran Ramjee, WiFi-NC : WiFi Over Narrow Channels, no. MSR-TR-2012-17, 27 April 2012.
- Anand Iyer, Krishna Kant Chintalapudi, Vishnu Navda, Ramachandran Ramjee, Venkat Padmanabhan, and Chandra Murthy, SpecNet: Spectrum Sensing Sans Frontières, in 8th USENIX Symposium on Networked Systems Design and Implementation (NSDI), USENIX, March 2011.
- Anand Iyer, Krishna Chintalapudi, Vishnu Navda, Ramachandran Ramjee, Venkat Padmanabhan, and Chandra Murthy, Spectrum Sensing Sans Frontieres, no. MSR-TR-2011-21, February 2011.
- Aaron Schulman, Vishnu Navda, Ramachandran Ramjee, Neil Spring, Pralhad Deshpande, Calvin Grunewald, Venkata N. Padmanabhan, and Kamal Jain, Bartendr: A Practical Approach to Energy-aware Cellular Data Scheduling, in Mobicom, Association for Computing Machinery, Inc., 20 September 2010.
- Eric Rozner, Vishnu Navda, Ramachandran Ramjee, and Shravan Rayanchu, NAPman: Network-Assisted Power Management for WiFi Devices, in MobiSys, Association for Computing Machinery, Inc., 15 June 2010.
- P. Agrawal, A. Kumar, J. Kuri, M. K. Panda, V. Navda, R. Ramjee, and V. Padmanabhan, Analytical Models for Energy Consumption in Infrastructure WLAN STAs Carrying TCP Traffic, in International Conference on Communication Systems and Networks (COMSNETS), Best Paper Award, IEEE, January 2010.
- Ashish Sharma, Vishnu Navda, Ramachandran Ramjee, Venkat Padmanabhan, and Elizabeth Belding, Cool-Tether: Energy Efficient On-the-fly WiFi Hot-spots using Mobile Phones, in International Conference on emerging Networking EXperiments and Technologies (CoNEXT), Association for Computing Machinery, Inc., December 2009.
- Ranveer Chandra, Sandeep Karanth, Thomas Moscibroda, Vishnu Navda, Jitu Padhye, Ramachandran Ramjee, and Lenin Ravindrananth, DirCast: A Practical and Efficient Wi-Fi Multicast System, in International Conference on Network Protocols (ICNP), IEEE, October 2009.
- Anand Prabhu Subramanian, Vishnu Navda, P. Deshpande, and Sameer R. Das, A Measurement Study of Inter-Vehicular Communication Using Steerable Beam Directional Antenna, in ACM VANET Workshop, Association for Computing Machinery, Inc., September 2008.
- Vishnu Navda, Anand Prabhu Subramanian, Kannan Dhanasekaran, Andreas Timm-Giel, and Samir Das, MobiSteer: Using Steerable Beam Directional Antenna for Vehicular Network Access, in ACM MobiSys (Best Paper Award), Association for Computing Machinery, Inc., Puerto Rico, June 2007.
- Vishnu Navda, Aniruddha Bohra, Samrat Ganguly, and Dan Rubenstein, Using Channel Hopping to Increase 802.11 Resilience to Jamming Attacks, in IEEE Infocom Minisymposium, Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers, Inc., Anchorage, AK, May 2007.
- Stony Brook page has details of my earlier work
TPC Co-chair of ACM WiNTECH Workshop
In conjunction with MobiCom 2012
August 22, 2012
Organized Connecting the Next Billion
Aug 28th-29th, 2010
The summit brought together researchers from academia and industry, and representatives from the government and service providers, to discuss the technical and public policy issues pertaining to expanding data connectivity in India and other emerging regions.