I am a researcher in Microsoft research. I am interested in:
- Multimedia information retrieval
- Computer vision
- Machine learning
- Device aware computing
I joined Microsoft Advanced Technology Lab, Cairo (ATL Cairo) in November 2006 as a researcher. Prior to joining Microsoft, I was working as a senior scientist for NevenVision, a company specializing in computer vision products such as face recognition and object recognition technologies. Do not try to search online for NevenVision as they ceased to exist soon after I joined them by being acquired by Google. I spent a short while at Google before hearing about the intriguing opportunity of joining CMIC.
By the way I also teach at Cairo University, as part of my assignment as an assistant professor in the information technology department. Even earlier (in 2006), I finished my Ph.D. work at University of California Santa Barbara under the supervision of Professor B. S. Manjunath. The thesis investigated novel methods for automatic tracking and modeling of microtubules (curvilinear sub-cellular structures).
- Krishnan Ramnath, Simon Baker, Lucy Vanderwende, Motaz El-Saban, Sudipta Sinha, Anitha Kannan, Noran Hassan, Michel Galley, Yi Yang, Deva Ramanan, Alessandro Bergamo, and Lorrenzo Torresani, AutoCaption: Automatic Caption Generation for Personal Photos, IEEE Winter Conference on Applications of Computer Vision , March 2014AutoCaption is a system that helps a smartphone user generate a caption for their photos. It operates by uploading the photo to a cloud service where a number of parallel modules are applied to recognize a variety of entities and relations. The outputs of the modules are combined to generate a large set of candidate captions, which are returned to the phone. The phone client includes a convenient user interface that allows users to select their favorite caption, reorder, add, or delete words to obtain the grammatical style they prefer. The user can also select from multiple candidates returned by the recognition modules.
- Mohammad Gowayyed, Marwan Torki, Mohamed Hussein, and Motaz El-Saban, Histogram of Oriented Displacements (HOD): Describing Trajectories of Human Joints for Action Recognition, in IJCAI, 2013
- Mohamed Hussein, Marwan Torki, Mohammad Gowayyed, and Motaz El-Saban, Human Action Recognition Using a Temporal Hierarchy of Covariance Descriptors on 3D Joint Locations, in IJCAI, 2013
- Osama Khalil, Mohammad Fathy, Dina Khalil, Motaz El Saban, Pushmeet kohli, and Jamie Shotton, Synthetic Training in Object Detection, in ICIP, 2013
- Noran Hasan, Ahmad Fathy, Tamer Deif, Ramy Shahin, and Motaz EL Saban, Using Skin Segmentation to Improve Similar Product Recommendations in Online Clothing Stores, in VISAPP, 2013
- Alaa Abd El Hakeem and Motaz El-Saban, FRPCA: Fast Robust Principal Component Analysis, in IEEE conference on pattern recognition, 2012
- Ayman Kaheel, Motaz El-Saban, Mostafa Izz, and Mahmoud Refaat, Employing 3D Accelerometer Information for Fast and Reliable Image Features Matching on mobile devices, in ICME 2012 workshop on hot topics in mobile multimedia, IEEE Internation Conference on Multimedia & Expo (ICME), 2012
- Noureldin Laban, Motaz El Saban, Ayman Nasr, and Hoda Onsi, Spatial cloud detection and retrieval system for satellite images, in International Journal of Advanced Computer Science and Applications (IJACSA), 2012
- NourElDin Laban, Motaz El Saban, Ayman Nasr, and Hoda Onsi, System Refinement for Content Based Satellite Image Retrieval, in The Egyptian Journal of Remote Sensing and Space Sciences, 2012
- Alaa Abd El Hakeem and Motaz El Saban, Distortion Impact on Low-Dimensional Manifold Recovery of High-Dimensional Data, in Taibah University International Conference on Computing and Information Technology , 2012
- Meena Abd El Meseeh, Islam Badr El Deen, Mohammad Abd El Kader, and Motaz El-Saban, Combining global and local information for within-category object class recognition, in International conference on pattern recognition, 2012
- Mohammad Nael, Moataz Abd El Wahab, and Motaz El Saban, Multi-view Human Action Recognition System Employing 2DPCA, in WACV, IEEE, 2011
- Motaz El-Saban, Xin-Jing Wang, Noran Hasan, Mahmoud Bassiouny, and Mahmoud refaat, Seamless annotation and enrichment of mobile captured video streams in real-time, in ICME, IEEE Internation Conference on Multimedia & Expo (ICME), 2011
- Mahmoud Bassiouny and Motaz El Saban, Object Matching Using Feature Aggregation Over a Frame Sequence, in WACV, IEEE, 2011
- Mostafa Saad and Motaz El-Saban, Higher order potentials with superpixel neighbourhood (HSN) for semantic image segmentation, in ICIP, IEEE, 2011
- Mohammad Nael, Moataz Abd El Wahab, Motaz El Saban, and Mikhail Wasfy, Highly Efficient Human Action Recognition using compact 2DPCA-based descriptors in the Spatial and Transform domains, in Midwest Symposium on Circuits and Systems (MWSCAS), IEEE, 2011
- Motaz El-Saban, Mostafa Izz, Ayman Kaheel, and Mahmoud Refaat, Improved optimal seam selection blending for fast video stitching of videos captured from freely moving devices, in ICIP, IEEE, 2011
- Mahmoud Refaat, Motaz El-Saban, and Ayman Kaheel, Active Feedback for Enhancing the Construction of Panoramic Live Mobile Video Streams, in ICME, IEEE Internation Conference on Multimedia & Expo (ICME), 2011
- Motaz El-Saban, Mostafa Izz, and Ayman Kaheel, FAST STITCHING OF VIDEOS CAPTURED FROM FREELY MOVING DEVICES BY EXPLOITING TEMPORAL REDUNDANCY, in ICIP, IEEE, 2010
- Mohammad EL Deeb and Motaz El-Saban, Human age estimation using enhanced bio-inspired features (EBIF), in ICIP, 2010
- A. Kaheel, M. El-Saban, M. Refaat, and M. Izz, Mobicast - A system for collaborative event casting using mobile phones, in ACM Mobile and Ubiquitous Multimedia - MUM '09, Association for Computing Machinery, Inc., UK, November 2009
- M EL Deeb, B Abou Zaid, H. Zawbaa, M Zahaar, and Motaz El-Saban, Soccer video summarization using enhanced logo detection, in ICIP, 2009
- Motaz El-Saban, Mahmoud Refaat, Ayman Kaheel, and Ahmad Abdul Hamid, Stitching videos streamed by mobile phones in real-time, in ACM Multimedia, Association for Computing Machinery, Inc., 2009
- Waleed Magdy, Kareem Darwish, and Motaz El-Saban, Efficient Language-Independent Retrieval of Printed Documents without OCR, in SPIRE, 2009
- Nayer Wanas, Motaz El-Saban, Heba Ashour, and Waleed Ammar, Automatic Scoring of Online Discussion Posts, in 2nd Workshop on Information Credibility on the Web (WICOW 2008), Association for Computing Machinery, Inc., 30 October 2008
- B. S. Manjunath, B. Sumengen, Z. Bi, J. Biyun, Motaz El-Saban, D. Fedorov, and N. Vu, Towards Automated Bioimage Analysis: from features to semantics, in ISBI, invited paper, 2006
- A. Altinok and Motaz El-Saban, Activity Recognition in Microtubule Videos by Mixture of Hidden Markov Models, in CVPR, 2006
- Motaz El-Saban and et al, Automated tracking and modelling of microtubule dynamics, International Symposium of biomedical imaging, 2006
- Motaz El-Saban, Automated microtubule tracking and analysis, 2006
- Motaz EL-Saban and B. S. Manjunath, Tracking curvilinear structures using active contours and application to microtubule videos, 2005
- Motaz El-Saban and B. S. Manjunath, Spatiotemporal contour tracking of microtubules, 2005
- Motaz El-Saban and B. S. Manjunath, Interactive Segmentation Using Curve Evolution And Relevance Feedback, in ICIP, 2004
- S. Bhagavaty and Motaz El-Saban, SketchIt: Basketball Video Retrieval Using Ball Motion Similarity, in PCM, 2004
- Motaz El-Saban and B. S. Manjunath, Video Region Segmentation by Spatio-temporal watersheds, in ICIP, 2003
- Motaz El-Saban, S. Abd El-Azeem, and M. Rashwan, A new video coding scheme based on the H.263 standard and entropy constrained vector quantization, in Faculty of Engineering journal, Cairo University, 2000
- Motaz El-Saban, S. Abd El-Azeem, and M. Rashwan, A new video coding scheme based on the H.263 standard and entropy constrained vector quantization, in ICII, 2000
- Motaz El-Saban, New video coding techniques based on the H.263 standard and vector quantization, 2000
1. Waleed Magdi and Motaz El-Saban, Personalized notification of live events (U.S. patent pending)
2. Waleed Magdi and Motaz El-Saban, Using An Id Domain To Improve Searching (U.S. granted patent)
3. Heba Ashour, Nayer Wanas, Mostafa El Baradei and Motaz El-Saban, User Evaluation in a Collaborative Online Forum (U.S. patent pending)
4. Ayman Kaheel, Motaz El-Saban, Mohamed Shawky and Mahmoud Refaat, Video Sharing (U.S. patent pending)
5. Motaz El-Saban, Christopher Burges and Qiang Wu, Re-ranking top search results (U.S. patent pending) with Chris Burges
6. Motaz El-Saban, Ayman Kaheel, Mahmoud Refaat and Ahmad Abd El Hameed, System and Method for Real-Time Stitching of Mobile Phone Streamed Videos (U.S. patent pending)
7. Ayman Kaheel, Motaz El-Saban, Mahmoud Refaat, Ahmad El Arabawy, Mostafa Baradei Using accelerometer information for determining orientation of pictures and video images (U.S. patent pending)
8. Motaz El-Saban, Xin-Jing Wang and May Sayed, Real-Time Annotation And Enrichment Of Captured Video (U.S. patent pending)
9. James Lau, Ayman Kaheel, Motaz El-Saban Mohammad Shawky, Monica Gonzales, Ahmed El Baz, Tamer Deif and Alaa Abd El Hakeem, Using facial data for device authentication or subject identification (U.S. patent pending)
10. Motaz El-Saban, Ayman Kaheel, Mohammad Shawky and James Lau, Modifying video regions using mobile device input (U.S. patent pending)
11. Pushmeet Kohli, Jamie Shotton and Motaz El Saban, Synthesizing Training Samples for Object Recognition
12. Alaa Abd El Hakeem and Motaz El-Saban, Dynamic update of recovered subspaces of high dimensional
Professional activities and services
· Review for TIEC (Technology Innovation and entrepreneurship center) proposals for startups in Egypt.
· Reviewer for ACM Transactions on Intelligent Systems and Technology (ACM-TIST).
· Reviewer for ACM Transactions on Information Systems (ACM-TOIS).
· TPC member for EMC 2010 (International Conference on Embedded and Multimedia Computing )
· TPC member for ICPR 2010
· Session chair at ICIP 2009
· Reviewer for ACM Transactions on Multimedia Computing, Communications and Applications (TOMCCAP)
· Reviewer for IEEE international conference on image processing (ICIP) 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011 and 2012
· Reviewer for IEEE Transactions on Circuits and systems for video technology (CSVT)
· Reviewer for Elsevier Image and Vision Computing journal
· Reviewer for The Egyptian Informatics Journal
· Served on the program committee for INFOS 2008 (Cairo, Egypt) for “Computational Intelligence in Multimedia Computing” track.
· External examiner for graduation projects in American University in Cairo (AUC) 2010.
· Board member for MSc thesis in Nile University, Egypt (Aug 2010)
Squash, soccer and snooker.
Reading in various fields such as machine learning, multimedia technologies as well other soft skills improvement readings ("good to great", "built to last", "thinkertoys", "Seven habits of highly effective people"…)