99/2613, Microsoft Research
Phone: (425) 421-7114
Email: myfirstname DOT mylastname AT microsoft DOT com
I am a member of the Sensing and Energy Research Group at MSR, Redmond.
I build efficient computing systems for the internet-of-things (IoT). In particular, I am interested in developing networked sensing platforms and specialized hardware processors for portable devices. My work applies various techniques of deep/shallow machine learning, signal processing and VLSI design to this problem domain.
As part of my doctorate thesis, I developed energy-efficient sensing systems that are able to compute directly on compressed data. I received the Ph.D. and M.A. degrees in Electrical Engineering from Princeton University in 2013 and 2010, respectively. I received the B.Tech. and M.Tech. dual degree in Electrical Engineering with a specialization in Microelectronics and VLSI Design from the Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), Madras in 2008.
I enjoy working at the level of both software (C++, C#, Python, Matlab) and hardware (accelerator architectures, RTL design) implementations. At Microsoft, I primarily work on developing energy-efficient devices and IP for machine-learning with IoT data.
The following are my active projects:
- Wearable activity tracking using low-power and high-precision body area networks
- Context aware SoC applications with real-time object recognition and detection on streaming media
- Cloud infrastructure design methodologies that exploit heterogeneity and variability in server hardware
S. Desai, M. Shoaib and A. Raychowdhury, "An ultra-low power, always-on camera front-end for posture detection in body worn cameras using Restricted Boltzmann Machines" IEEE Transactions on Multi-Scale Computing Systems, 2016 (to appear)
M. Shoaib, S. Venkataramani, X-S Hua, J. Liu, and J. Li, "Exploiting on-device image classification for energy efficiency in ambient-aware systems", Book chapter in Springer Mobile and Cloud Visual Media Computing Jan. 2016
V. Beharavan, S. Li, N. E. Glover, D. Chen, M. Shoaib, G. C. Temes and P. Y. Chiang, "A compressed-sensing sensor-on-chip incorporating statistics collection to improve reconstruction performance", IEEE Custom Integrated Circuits Conf. (CICC) Sep. 2015
- S. Desai, M. Shoaib, and A. Raychowdhury, "An ultra-low power always-on camera front-end for posture detection in body-worn cameras using RBMs", IEEE Symposium on Low Power Electronic Design (ISLPED), Aug. 2015
- V. Behravan, N. E. Glover, R. Farry, P. Y. Chiang, and M. Shoaib, "Rate-adaptive compressed-sensing and sparsity variance of biomedical signals", IEEE Body Sensor Networks (BSN) Conf. Jun. 2015
- S. Venkataramani, J. Liu, A. Raghunathan, and M. Shoaib, "Scalable-effort classifiers for energy-efficient machine learning", IEEE Design Automation Conference (DAC) Jun. 2015
- S. Venkataramani, V. Bahl, X. Hua, J. Liu, J. Li, M. Phillipose, B. Priyantha, and M. Shoaib, "SAPPHIRE: An always-on context-aware computer vision system for portable devices", IEEE Conf. Design Automation and Test in Europe (DATE) Mar. 2015
- M. Shoaib, N. K. Jha, and N. Verma, “Signal processing with direct computations on compressively-sensed Data", IEEE Transactions on VLSI (TVLSI) Systems, Jan. 2015
- M. Shoaib, J. Liu, and M. Phillipose, "Energy scaling in multi-tiered sensing systems through compressive sensing", IEEE Custom Integrated Circuits Conference (CICC), Sep. 2014 (best paper award nomination)
- M. Shoaib, K-H. Lee, N. K. Jha, and N. Verma, "0.6-107 µW energy-scalable processor for directly analyzing compressively-sensed EEG", IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems (TCAS) - 1, Apr. 2014
- M. Shoaib, N. K. Jha, and N. Verma, “Algorithm-driven hardware-specialized architecture for low-energy biomedical sensor platforms,” IEEE Transactions on VLSI (TVLSI) Systems, Oct. 2013
- M. Shoaib, G. Marsh, H. Garudadri, and S. Majumder, “A closed-loop system for artifact mitigation in ambulatory electrocardiogram monitoring,” IEEE Design Automation and Test in Europe (DATE) Conference, Mar. 2012
- M. Shoaib, N. K. Jha, and N. Verma, "A compressed-domain processor for seizure detection to simultaneously reduce computation and communication energy", IEEE Custom Integrated Circuits Conference (CICC), Sep. 2012
- M. Shoaib, N. K. Jha, and N. Verma, "Enabling advanced inference on sensor nodes through direct use of compressively sensed signals", IEEE Design Automation and Test in Europe (DATE) Conference, Mar. 2012
I am a member of the IEEE and ACM. While I am interested in working across multiple disciplines, my interests are particularly aligned with the following groups:
- IEEE Circuits and Systems, Computer, and Signal-processing Societies
- ACM SIGMOBILE, SIGBED
I have served as a committee member and reviewer of the following events and journals:
- IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems (TCAS), VLSI Systems (TVLS), Biomedical Engineering (TBME), and Biomedical Circuits and Systems (TBCAS).
- Design Automation Conference (DAC) 2014
- International Conference on Information Processing in Sensor Networks (IPSN) 2014
- Cyber-physical Systems (CPS) Week 2015
- Embedded Systems (ES) Week 2015: IoT Systems Track