I like to focus on practical research that result in systems that substantially improve the performance, reliability, correctness, security, and, most recently, power of applications.
I joined Microsoft Research in May 2011. I am on leave from the University of Texas at Austin, where I am an Endowed Professor.
- "Looking Back and Looking Forward: Power, Performance, and Upheaval," CACM Research Highlight, 2012 (Abbreviated for a general audiance from ASPLOS 2011.)
- "What is Happening to Power, Performance, and Software?" IEEE Micro Top Picks 2012. (Abbreviated for architects from ASPLOS 2011.)
- ACM SIGPLAN Distinguished Service Award, 2011
- IEEE Fellow
- ACM Fellow
CRA Board member (2012 to present)
CRA-W co-Chair (2011 to present)
CGO 2013 Program Chair
ISMM 2012 Program Chair
TOPLAS co-Editor-in-Chief (2008-2011)
- "Researchers Corral Chip Power-Performance Requirements," Gregory Goth, Communications of the ACM, January 30, 2012.
- "Towards Lowering the Power Consumption of Microprocessors," UT Press, January 20, 2012.
- James Bornholt, Todd Mytkowicz, and Kathryn S. McKinley, Uncertain<T>: A First-Order Type for Uncertain Data, no. MSR-TR-2013-46, April 2013
- Ting Coa, Tiejin Gao, Stephen M. Blackburn, and Kathryn S. McKinely, The Yin and Yang of Power and Performance for Asymmetric Hardware and Managed Software, in ACM/IEEE International Symposium on Computer Architecture, June 2012