I am a researcher and the manager of the Visual Computing Group http://research.microsoft.com/en-us/groups/vc/ at Microsoft Research Asia, Beijing, China. I am interested in studying mathematical principles behind the processing and understanding of visual data such as images and videos. In particular, I recently work on high-dimensional data clustering and classification, compression-based image segmentation, robust face recognition via sparse representation, and error correction for high-dimensional signals and matrices.
Before joining MSR Asia in January 2009, I has been a tenured associate professor at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign since 2000. You may find more information about my research and publications from my website at the university: http://yima.csl.illinois.edu
- Special issue of IEEE TPAMI: Real-World Face Recognition.
- Special issue of IEEE Signal Processing Magazine: Dimensionality Reduction via Subspace and Manifold Learning.
- Special issue of Proceedings of the IEEE: Sparse Representationa and Compressive Sensing.
- Project website: Generalized Principal Component Analysis.
- Project website: Clustering and Classification via Lossy Compression.
- Project website: Face Recognition via Sparse Representation.
- Project website: Low-Rank Matrix Recovery via Convex Optimization.
News & Events:
- Plenary talk at Signal Processing with Adaptive Sparse Structured Representations (SPARS), June 2011.
- Keynote speech at AAAI Symposium on Manifold Learning and its Applications, Arlington, VA. Nov. 11, 2010.
- Tutorial on Low-Rank Matrix Recovery, ICIP, Hongkong, Sept. 26, 2010.
- Summer school on Vision, Learning and Pattern Recognition (VLPR), Xi'an China, July 25, 2010.
- Invited talk at Pao-Lu Hsu Conference, Xi'an, China, July 20, 2010.
- Plenary talk at Visual Communications and Image Processing (VCIP), July 13, 2010.
- HotTalk at Microsoft Research Asia, Beijing, China, July 6, 2010.
- NGA and DARPA Workshops in Washington DC, June 22 and 23, 2010.
- Tutorial on Subspace Learning at CVPR, San Francisco, June 14, 2010.
- Invited talk at CAD&CG Lab, Zhejiang Univ., March 31, 2010.
- Invited talk at Yao's Class, Tsinghua, March 26, 2010.
- Talk at UIUC DSP Seminar, Champaign, March 10, 2010.
- Lecture at Microsoft Techfest, Seattle, March 3, 2010.
- Invited talk at Singapore Management University, January 29, 2010.
- Invited talk at Nanyang Technology University, Singapore, January 28, 2010.
- Invited talk at Fusionopolis, Singapore, January 27, 2010.
- Invited talk at National University of Singapore, January 25, 2010.
- Invited talk at Chinese University of Hong Kong, January 8, 2010.
- Invited talk at Hong Kong University of Science and Technology, January 6, 2010.
- Emmanuel Candes, Xiaodong Li, Yi Ma, and John Wright, Robust Principal Component Analysis?, in Journal of the ACM, 2010
- John Wright and Yi Ma, Dense Error Correction via L1 Minimization, in IEEE Transactions on Information Theory, 2010
- Jianchao Yang, John Wright, Thomas Huang, and Yi Ma, Image Super-Resolution via Sparse Representation, in IEEE Transactions on Image Processing, IEEE, 2010