Development Manager, Microsoft Research
For the most up-to-date information on my projects, see my
- tweets @ http://twitter.com/@microsoftice
- Photosynth panoramas @ http://photosynth.net/userprofilepage.aspx?user=mattu
- Instagram stream @ http://instagram.com/mattu153
- blog posts @ http://hdview.wordpress.com
|BLINK. A free app for Windows Phone. BLINK captures a burst of images, starting before you even press the shutter, and continues to capture pictures after you've taken your shot. So, it’s no problem if you press the shutter a few seconds too early or too late. Get it in the Windows Phone Store.|
Cliplets. Juxtaposing Still and Dynamic Imagery. An application to easily create sublty animated photographs like the one to the left. Download it from our project page.
|The Photosynth App. A free app for Windows Phone or the iPhone that lets users create immersive panoramic pictures directly on their phones. Get it from the Windows Phone Store or the iOS app store.|
Clear 30 project with Bing Maps. A uniform map of the continental United States and Europe with unprecedented (30 centimeter) resolution. Forbes says "massive points to Microsoft on this".
My team created the Photofuse feature in Windows Live Photo Gallery. This technology allows you to take the best parts of multiple photos to combine them into one “perfect” photo. Techcrunch calls it fascinating stuff.
|Image Composite Editor (ICE). A simple yet powerful program for creating panoramic photographs. Please download it now (it's free) from the project page and give it a try. Also, follow ICE on Twitter.|
HD View. A web browser plug-in for viewing super-high-resolution photos over the Internet. HD View allows images to be shared over the web with no limits on dimensions, color, or exposure range. See HD View in action on this 26 GigaPixel image of Paris, France.
|Windows Live Photo Gallery. My group provides the image stitching technology for Windows Live Photo Gallery. A Microsoft television commercial showcasing the technology is available here.|
MSNBC Rising From Ruin. I was the principal videographer for the 360-degree video tour chronicling the destruction of Hurricane Katrina in the coastal towns of Mississippi.
Labybug Camera. My group collaborated with Point Grey Research to build the first 360- degree Ladybug cameras, which have subsequently been used in many university and industry projects.
- Neel Joshi, Steven Drucker, Eric Stollnitz, Hugues Hoppe, Matt Uyttendaele, Michael Cohen, and Sisil Mehta, Cliplets: Juxtaposing Still and Dynamic Imagery, UIST, 7 October 2012
- Hyon Lim, Sudipta Sinha, Michael Cohen, and Matt Uyttendaele, Real-time image-based 6-DOF localization in large-scale environments , in Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition (CVPR), IEEE Computer Society, 21 June 2012
- Hyon Lim, Sudipta N. Sinha, Michael F. Cohen, and Matthew Uyttendaele, Real-time Image-based 6-DOF Localization in Large-Scale Environments, in Proceedings of the IEEE Conf. on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition (CVPR), IEEE International Conference on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition (CVPR), 18 June 2012
- Neel Joshi, Sisil Mehta, Steven Drucker, Eric Stollnitz, Hugues Hoppe, Matt Uyttendaele, and Michael Cohen, Cliplets: Juxtaposing Still and Dynamic Imagery, no. MSR-TR-2012-52, 15 May 2012
- Richard Szeliski, Matthew Uyttendaele, and Drew Steedly, Fast Poisson Blending using Multi-Splines, in International Conference on Computational Photography (ICCP 11), IEEE, April 2011
- Richard Szeliski, Simon Winder, and Matt Uyttendaele, High-quality multi-pass image resampling, no. MSR-TR-2010-10, February 2010
- Matt Uyttendaele, Howard Good, and Michael F. Cohen, HD View: A Software Camera for the Web, no. MSR-TR-2009-95, 3 August 2009
- Johannes Kopf, Boris Neubert, Billy Chen, Michael Cohen, Daniel Cohen-Or, Oliver Deussen, Matt Uyttendaele, and Dani Lischinski, Deep Photo: Model-Based Photograph Enhancement and Viewing, in Proceedings of SIGGRAPH Asia 2008, Association for Computing Machinery, Inc., 3 December 2008
- Peter Pesti, Jeremy Elson, Jon Howell, Drew Steedly, and Matt Uyttendaele, Low-Cost Orthographic Imagery, in Proceedings of the 16th ACM SIGSPATIAL International Conference on Advances in Geographic Information Systems (ACM GIS), Association for Computing Machinery, Inc., November 2008
- Richard Szeliski, Matthew Uyttendaele, and Drew Steedly, Fast Poisson Blending using Multi-Splines, no. MSR-TR-2008-58, April 2008
- Johannes Kopf, Matt Uyttendaele, Oliver Deussen, and Michael Cohen, Capturing and Viewing Gigapixel Images, in ACM Transactions on Graphics (Proceedings of SIGGRAPH 2007), Association for Computing Machinery, Inc., August 2007
- Johannes Kopf, Michael Cohen, Dani Lischinski, and Matt Uyttendaele, Joint Bilateral Upsampling, in ACM Transactions on Graphics (Proceedings of SIGGRAPH 2007), Association for Computing Machinery, Inc., August 2007
- Dani Lischinski, Zeev Farbman, Matt Uyttendaele, and Richard Szeliski, Interactive Local Adjustment of Tonal Values, in ACM Transactions on Graphics (Proceedings of SIGGRAPH 2006), Association for Computing Machinery, Inc., August 2006
- Patrick Baudisch, Desney Tan, Drew Steedly, Eric Rudolph, Matt Uyttendaele, Chris Pal, and Richard Szeliski, An Exploration of User Interface Designs for Real-time Panoramic Photography, in Australian Journal of Information Systems, 2006
- Patrick Baudisch, Desney Tan, Drew Steedly, Eric Rudolph, Matt Uyttendaele, Chris Pal, and Richard Szeliski, Panoramic Viewfinder: Providing a Real-time Preview to Help Users Avoid Flaws in Panoramic Pictures, in OZCHI 2005 Conference for the Computer-Human Interaction Special Interest Group of the Human Factors Society of Australia, November 2005
- Sing Bing Kang, Charles Lawrence Zitnick, Matthew Uyttendaele, Simon Winder, and Richard Szeliski, Free-viewpoint video with stereo and matting, in Picture Coding Symposium, San Francisco, CA, December 2004
- C. Zitnick, S.B. Kang, M. Uyttendaele, S. Winder, and R. Szeliski, High-Quality Video View Interpolation Using a Layered Representation, in ACM SIGGRAPH, Association for Computing Machinery, Inc., August 2004
- Sing Bing Kang, Richard Szeliski, and Matthew Uyttendaele, Seamless Stitching using Multi-Perspective Plane Sweep, no. MSR-TR-2004-48, June 2004
- Matthew Uyttendaele, Antonio Criminisi, Sing Binb Kang, Simon Winder, Richard Hartley, and Richard Szeliski, High-quality Image-based Interactive Exploration of Real-World Environments, in IEEE Computer Graphics & Applications (CG&A), vol. 24, no. 3, pp. 52-63, IEEE Computer Society, May 2004
- Matthew Uyttendaele, Antonio Criminisi, Sing Bing Kang, Simon Winder, Richard Hartley, and Richard Szeliski, High-quality Image-based Interactive Exploration of Real-World Environments, October 2003