- Jelte Mense, Paul I. Palmer, and Matthew J. Smith, A general riot model applied to the London Riots, Springer, 9 June 2015.
- Silvia Caldararu, Drew W. Purves, and Matthew J. Smith, Functional and Structural Optimality in Plant Growth: A Crop Modelling Case Study, 15 December 2014.
- Oleksandra Hararuk and Matthew J. Smith, Importance of modelling microbial dynamics in soil: evaluation of conventional and microbial soil models informed by observations across various plant functional types, 15 December 2014.
- Katherine E Todd-Brown, Yiqi Luo, James Tremper Randerson, Stephen D. Allison, and Matthew J. Smith, Understanding the Dynamics of Soil Carbon in CMIP5 Models, 15 December 2014.
- Matthew J. Smith, Stephen Emmott, Drew W. Purves, Lucas N. Joppa, and Vassily Lyutsarev, Joined-up Planetary Information, in the Cloud and on Devices, 15 December 2014.
- Oleksandra Hararuk, Matthew J. Smith, and Yiqi Luo, Microbial models with data-driven parameters predict stronger soil carbon responses to climate change, in Global Change Biology, Wiley, 1 December 2014.
- Gosden, S, Smith, M. J., Perkmann, and M., The Evolution of the Microsoft Software Ecosystem – Windows and Internet Explorer, 1 November 2014.
- Gian Marco Palamara, Dylan Z. Childs, Christopher F. Clements, Owen L. Petchey, Marco Plebani, and Matthew J. Smith, Inferring the temperature dependence of population parameters: the effects of experimental design and inference algorithm , in Ecology and Evolution, 1 October 2014.
- Yiqi Luo, Trevor F. Keenan, and Matthew J. Smith, Predictability of the terrestrial carbon cycle, in Global Change Biology, Wiley, October 2014.
- Paul I. Palmer and Matthew J. Smith, Model human adaptation to climate change, in Nature, 28 August 2014.
- Smith, M.J., Purves, D.W., Lyutsarev, V., Emmott, and S., Data constrained ecological models at the speed of thought, Ecological Society of America, 10 August 2014.
- Cory Merow, Matthew J. Smith, Thomas C. Edwards, Antoine Guisan, Sean McMahon, Signe Normand, Wilfried Thuiller, Rafael O. Wuest, Niklaus E. Zimmerman, and Jane Elith, What do we gain from simplicity versus complexity in species distribution models? , in Ecography, Wiley, August 2014.
- Mindy M Syfert, Lucas N Joppa, Matthew J Smith, David A Coomes, Steven P Bachman, and Neil A Brummitt, Using species distribution models to inform IUCN Red List assessments, in Biological Conservation, Elsevier, June 2014.
- Harfoot, M.B.J., Newbold, T., Tittensor, D.P., Emmott, S., Hutton, J., Lyutsarev, V., Smith, M.J., Purves, and D.W., Emergent Global Patterns of Ecosystem Structure and Function from a Mechanistic General Ecosystem Model , in PLOS Biology, 22 April 2014.
- Y.P. Wang, B.C. Chen, W.R. Weider, M. Leite, B.E. Medlyn, M. Rasmussen, M.J. Smith, F.B. Augusto, F. Hoffman, and Y.Q. Luo, Oscillatory behavior of two nonlinear microbial models of soil carbon decomposition, in Biogeosciences, European Geosciences Union, 7 April 2014.
- Maria Bruna, Jonathan Chapman, and Matthew J Smith, Model reduction for slow-fast stochastic systems with metastable behaviour, in Journal of Chemical Physics, American Institute of Physics, April 2014.
- Matthew J. Smith, Paul I. Palmer, Drew W. Purves, Mark C. Vanderwel, Vassily Lyutsarev, Ben Calderhead, Lucas N. Joppa, Christopher M. Bishop, and Stephen Emmott, Changing how Earth System Modelling is done to provide more useful information for decision making, science and society., in Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society, American Meteorological Society, February 2014.
- Wang, Y., Smith, M.J., Luo, Y., Leite, M., Augusto, F., Chen, B., Hoffman, F.M., Medlyn, B.E., Rasmiussen, and M., Theoretical analysis of the global land carbon cycle: what determines the trajectory of future carbon uptake?, American Geophysical Union, 9 December 2013.
- Hararuk, O., Smith, M.J., Luo, and Y., Improving global soil carbon predictions with data-constrained microbial based models, American Geophysical Union, 9 December 2013.
- Keribin, R. M., Friend, A. D., Purves, D., Smith, and M. J., Increasing biological diversity in a dynamic vegetation model and consequences for simulated response to climate change, American Geophysical Union, 9 December 2013.
- Smith, M.J., Joppa, L., Purves, D., Vanderwel, M., Lyutsarev, V., Emmott, and S., The financial value of uncertainty in terrestrial carbon, American Geophysical Union, 9 December 2013.
- Marti Donati, A., Cox, P.M., Smith, M.J., Purves, D., Sitch, S., Jones, and C.D., Plant Nitrogen Uptake in Terrestrial Biogeochemical Models, American Geophysical Union, 9 December 2013.
- Caldararu, S., Smith, M.J., Purves, D., Emmott, and S., Simulated crop yield in response to changes in climate and agricultural practices: results from a simple process based model, American Geophysical Union, 9 December 2013.
- Y.P.Wang, B.C.Chen, W.R.Weider, Y.Q.Luo, B.E.Medlyn, M.Rasmussen, M.J.Smith, F.B.Agusto, and F.Hoffman, Oscillatory behaviour of two nonlinear microbial models of soil carbon decomposition, in Biogeosciences Discussions, European Geosciences Union, December 2013.
- Matthew R Evans, Mike Bithell, Stephen J. Cornell, Sasha R. X. Dall, Sandra Diaz, Stephen Emmott, Bruno Ernande, Volker Grimm, David J. Hodgson, Simon L. Lewis, Georgina M. Mace, Michael Morecroft, Aristides Moustakas, Eugene Murphy, Tim Newbold, K. J. Norris, Owen Petchey, Matthew J. Smith, Justin M. J. Travis, and Tim G. Benton, Predictive systems ecology, in Proceedings of the Royal Society B, Royal Society, 22 November 2013.
- Sadia E. Ahmed, Robert M. Ewers, and Matthew J. Smith, Large scale spatiotemporal patterns of road development in the Amazon rainforest, in Environmental Conservation, October 2013.
- Michael Harfoot, Derek P. Tittensor, Tim Newbold, Greg McInerny, Matthew J. Smith, and Jorn P.W. Scharlemann, Integrated assessment models for ecologists: the present and the future, in Global Ecology and Biogeography, Wiley, June 2013.
- Gian Marco Palamara, Gustav W. Delius, Matthew J. Smith, and Owen L. Petchey, Predation effects on mean time to extinction under demographic stochasticity, in Journal of Theoretical Biology, Elsevier, June 2013.
- Cory Merow, John A. Silander, and Matthew J. Smith, A practical guide to MaxEnt for modeling species' distributions: what it does, and why inputs and settings matter, in Ecography, Wiley, April 2013.
- Maurizio Sajeva, Claudio Augugliaro, Matthew Smith, and Elisabetta Oddo, Regulating Internet Trade in CITES Species, in Conservation Biology, Wiley, 8 February 2013.
- Mindy M. Syfert, Matthew J. Smith, and David A. Coomes, The effects of sampling bias and model complexity on the predictive performance of MaxEnt species distribution models , in PLOS One, vol. 8, no. 2, PLoS, February 2013.
- M. J. Smith, D. W. Purves, M. C. Vanderwel, V. Lyutsarev, and S. Emmott, The climate dependence of the terrestrial carbon cycle, including parameter and structural uncertainties, in Biogeosciences, vol. 10, pp. 583-606, European Geosciences Union, 29 January 2013.
- Noel McGough, David Kikodze, Richard Wilford, Lucy Garrett, Grigol Deisadze, Natalie Jaworska, and Matthew J. Smith, Assessing non-detrimental trade for a CITES Appendix II-listed plant species: the status of wild and cultivated Galanthus woronowii in Georgia, in Oryx, The International Journal of Conservation, Cambridge Journals, 2013.
- Caldararu, S., Smith, M.J., Purves, and D., Biome vs. Species Traits: What Is the Best Scale for Phenology Models?, American Geophysical Union, 3 December 2012.
- Matthew J. Smith, Mark C. Vanderwel, Vassily Lyutsarev, Stephen Emmott, and Drew W. Purves, The climate dependence of the terrestrial carbon cycle; including parameter and structural uncertainties, in Biogeosciences Discussions, vol. 9, pp. 13439-13496, European Geosciences Union, 4 October 2012.
- Neil Dalchau, Matthew Smith, Samuel Martin, James R Brown, Stephen Emmott, and Andrew Phillips, Towards the rational design of synthetic cells with prescribed population dynamics, in Journal of the Royal Society Interface, vol. 9, pp. 2883-2898, The Royal Society, May 2012.
- Jennifer J.H. Reynolds, Xavier Lambin, Fergus P. Massey, Stefan Reidinger, Jonathan A. Sherratt, Matthew J. Smith, Andrew White, and Sue E. Hartley, Delayed induced silica defences in grasses and their potential for destabilising herbivore population dynamics, in Oecologia, Springer, 2012.
- Jonathan A. Sherratt and Matthew J. Smith, Transition to Spatiotemporal Chaos Via Stationary Branching Shocks and Holes, in Physica D: Nonlinear Phenomena, Elsevier, 2012.
- Smith, M.J., Purves, D., Vanderwel, M., Lyutsarev, V., Emmott, and S., A Fully Data-Constrained Benchmark Global Vegetation Model for Identifying Priority Sources of Uncertainty and Facilitating Rapid Model Refinement, American Geophysical Union, 5 December 2011.
- Matthew J. Smith, Richard J. Williams, and Drew W. Purves, Boosting CITES Through Research, in Science, American Association for the Advancement of Science, 18 February 2011.
- A. Heil, M.J. Smith, and A. Brändle, Future Development Environments for Computational Scientists, in EUD4Services: Workshop on End User Development of Software Services and Applications, Microsoft Research, 25 May 2010.
- D. Kikodze, N. McGough, M. Smith, R. Wilford, L. Garrett, N. Memiadze, D. Kharazishvili, M. Manevelidze, G. Deisadze, T. Pantsulaia, and M. Eristavi, Trade in Georgian Snowdrops - A Roadmap to Sustainability. , no. MSR-TR-2010-65, February 2010.
- Daniel M. Tompkins, Alison M. Dunn, Matthew J. Smith, and Sandra Telfer, Wildlife Diseases – From Individuals To Ecosystems, in Journal of Animal Ecology, Wiley, 2010.
- Matthew J. Smith, Hesiquio Benitez Diaz, Margarita A. Clemente-Munoz, John Donaldson, Jon Hutton, Noel H. McGough, David H. Morgan, Colman O'Criodian, Thomasina E. Oldfield, Uwe Schippmann, and Richard J. Williams, Assessing the impacts of international trade on CITES-listed species: current practices and opportunities for scientific research, in Biological Conservation, Elsevier, 2010.
- Jonathan A. Sherratt, Matthew J. Smith, and Jens D. M. Rademacher, Patterns of sources and sinks in the complex ginzburg-landau equation with zero linear dispersion, in SIAM Journal of Applied Dynamical Systems, Society for Industrial and Applied Mathematics, 2010.
- Richard Wilford and Matthew Smith, Drop by Drop, in Kew Magazine, December 2009.
- Matthew J. Smith and Jonathan A. Sherratt, Propagating fronts in the complex Ginzburg-Landau equation generate fixed-width bands of plane waves., in Physical Review E, 6 October 2009.
- Matthew J. Smith, Jens D. M. Rademacher, and Jonathan A. Sherratt, Absolute stability of wavetrains can explain spatiotemporal dynamics in reaction-diffusion systems of lambda-omega type, in SIAM Journal of Applied Dynamical Systems, 8(3), 1136-1159, 27 August 2009.
- Sherratt JA, Smith MJ, and Rademacher JDM, Spatiotemporal Dynamics in Ecology: Insights from Physics, in Proc 16th Int. Cong. Math. Phys. , vol. 651, August 2009.
- Jonathan A. Sherratt, Matthew J. Smith, and Jens D.M. Rademacher, Locating the transition from periodic oscillations to spatiotemporal chaos in the wake of invasion, in Proceedings of that National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, 106(27), pp. 10890-10895, 7 July 2009.
- Noel McGough, Richard Wilford, Lucy Garrett, and Matthew Smith, Georgian Bulb Quota, no. MSR-TR-2009-77, 30 June 2009.
- Matthew J. Smith, Sandra Telfer, Eva R. Kallio, Sarah Burthe, Alex R. Cook, Xavier Lambin, and Michael Begon, Host-pathogen time series data in wildlife support a transmission function between density and frequency dependence, in Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, 106(19), pp. 7905-7909, 12 May 2009.
- M. Begon, S. Telfer, M.J. Smith, S. Burthe, S. Paterson, and X. Lambin, Seasonal host dynamics drive the timing of recurrent epidemics in a wildlife, in Proceedings of the Royal Society B: Biological Sciences, 20 January 2009.
- Matthew J. Smith, The application of population modelling techniques to the development of Non-detriment Findings for Galanthus elwesii in Turkey., in International Expert Workshop on CITES Non-Detriment Findings, Microsoft Research, 17 November 2008.
- M. Begon, S. Telfer, S. Burthe, X. Lambin, M. Smith, and S. Paterson, Effects of abundance on infection in natural populations: field voles and cowpox virus., in Epidemics, 6 October 2008.
- Matthew Smith, Jonathan Sherratt, and Xavier Lambin, The effects of density dependent dispersal on the spatiotemporal dynamics of cyclic populations, in Journal of Theoretical Biology, Elsevier, 21 September 2008.
- Fergus P. Massey, Matthew J. Smith, Xavier Lambin, and Sue E. Hartley, Are silica defences in grasses driving vole population cycles?, in Biology Letters, January 2008.
- S. Agrawal, P.P.S.Narayan, J. Ramamirtham, R. Rastogi, M. Smith, K. Swanson, and M. Thottan, VoIP service quality monitoring using active and passive probes, in Proceedings of the First International Conference on COMmunication System softWAre and MiddlewaRE (COMSWARE), 2006.
Other peer-reviewed publications
M.Smith, A.White, J.A.Sherratt, S.Telfer, M.Begon, X.Lambin, (2008) Disease effects on reproduction can cause population cycles in seasonal environments. Journal of Animal Ecology, 77(2), 378-389 doi:10.1111/j.1365-2656.2007.01328.x.
M.J. Smith, J.A.Sherratt (2007) The effects of unequal diffusion coefficients on periodic travelling wave properties in oscillatory reaction diffusion systems. Physica D, 236(2), 90-103, doi:10.1016/j.physd.2007.07.013
Sherratt, J.A. & Smith M.J. (2008) REVIEW, Periodic Travelling Waves in Cyclic Populations: Field studies and reaction-diffusion models. doi: 10.1098/rsif.2007.1327 Proc. R. Soc. Interface, 5, 483-505.
M.J. Smith, R.Sibly (2008) Identification of tradeoffs underlying the primary strategies of plants. Available online, Evolutionary Ecology Research , 10(1), 45-60.
M.J. Smith, J.A.Sherratt, N.J.Armstrong, (2008) The effects of obstacle size on periodic travelling waves in oscillatory reaction-diffusion equations. Proceedings of the Royal Society of London - Series A, 464, 365-390. doi: 10.1098/rspa.2007.0198.
M.J. Smith, A.White, J.A.Sherratt, X.Lambin, M.Begon, (2006) Delayed Density Dependent Season Length Alone can Lead to Rodent Population Cycles. American Naturalist 167(5), 695-704. doi: 10.1086/503119.
C.Buckee, K.Koelle, M.J. Mustard (Smith), S.Gupta, (2004). The Effects of Host Contact Network Structure on Pathogen Diversity and Strain Structure. PNAS 101(29), 10839-44. doi:10.1073/pnas.0402000101
M.J.Aitkenhead, M.J.Mustard (Smith), A.J.S.McDonald, (2004). Using neural networks to predict spatial structure in ecological systems. Ecol. Mod. 179(3), 393-403. doi:10.1016/j.ecolmodel.2004.05.008.
M.J. Mustard (Smith), D.B.Standing, M.J.Aitkenhead, D.Robinson, A.J.S.McDonald (2003). The emergence of primary strategies in evolving virtual-plant populations. Evol. Ecol. Res. 5, 1067-81. Available online.
Smith, M.J., Brodie, C., Kowalczyk, J., Michnowicz, S. & McGough, H.N. (2006). CITES Orchid Checklist Volume 4.
United Nations (2005). “Endangered Species” stamp series. Contributed text.
Mustard (Smith), M.J. & Yuzbasioglu, S. (2005). Turkish Delights. Kew Magazine, Spring 2005
McGough, H.N. Groves, M.G. Sajeva, M. Mustard (Smith), M.J. & Brodie, C (2004). CITES and Succulents, A User’s Guide. Lego Press
McGough, H.N. Groves, M.G., Mustard (Smith), M.J.‡ & Brodie, C.(2004). CITES and Plants, A User’s Guide. Lego Press
Williams, C. Davis, K. & Cheyne, P. (with the assistance of Mustard (Smith), M.J. & Brodie, C) (2003). The CBD, for Botanists.
Matthew Smith, Scientist
Computational Science Laboratory,
21 Station Road, Cambridge, CB1 2FB, UK
Tel: +44(0)1223 479 784